View Single Post
      07-05-2015, 05:40 PM   #81
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble View Post
It seems to me that this is pretty early on historically to start seeing a M car prototype out and about. With Mercedes moving to releasing AMG versions of the C and E class within the first model year of the base car, it is possible that the next gen m5 is a 2017 my on sale late next year. If that's true that would validate the rumors about no all new engine and a reworked version of the M6 CP S63 would be the obvious choice. There's nothing wrong with that - the F10's main issue is its size and weight, not the powertrain. 2016-17 will also be too early for the electric turbos, the next M3/4 will likely be the first M cars to get those in 2019-20.
Actually it is around the same time frame. BMW run an entirely different process, as soon as the first chassis are at their optimum then it begins for M.
As soon as we had a few months of F10 prototypes we first got a glimpse of the M5 early mules with the V10, prior to that it was an E60 with additional air intakes on the bumper. So we are looking at again a year after introduction with the regular 5er arriving on the market in early 2017.