Garage List
2020 330xi  [0.00]
A well-recorded "soundtrack"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_djurgarden View Post
Please scroll down and click on "BMW M5 Soundtrack"

https://www.bmw.de/de/neufahrzeuge/m...ndingpage.html

Attachment 1641125
I was impressed with the recording. It definitely sounds like sound miked outside the car, possibly with two or 3 mikes. The crackles have to be miked from behind the car, and judging from the wind noise we hear which sounds in excess of just exhaust airflow, I'd say this was done on a vehicle in motion.
Also, the turbos can be clearly heard spooling up around 13 seconds, so I'd say there's a mic mounted in front of the kidney grilles as well. That's a sound you don't get in the ASD of any of the BMW's that have it.

For the haters that are looking for a chance to bash ASD, this is far to complex a set of sounds to just be ASD. ASD is 3-4% of the total sound you hear inside the car, and provides welcome augmentation of what you do hear-specifically the sense of rpm under the hood. Find the threads where ASD has been scrutinized, de-coded or fuse pulled to be disabled and you'll find that most of those folks found they didn't like it without and reverted their settings. If you still love the sound of your E39 M5, E90 M3, or E60 M5, I respect that. Those cars sound wonderful. The fact of the matter is that turbo'ed motors are here to stay and shy of removing all the sound deadening from the firewall and dash, so is ASD in our newer cars.

For the haters who feel the sound isn't aggressive enough, consider that low frequency sounds are hard to capture with close range microphones on the back of a moving car by nature of their wavelength. When I crank my vintage Cerwin-Vegas, they don't rattle my chest until I'm 2/3 of the way across the room. All the way across the room, even better. Yeah, not great for my neighbors, so I only do so when I see they're gone, LOL. Aggressive needs low frequency. An aggressive wasp isn't as scary as an aggressive pachyderm. I think this car is going to sound great for an S63 variant engine. I'm sure the aftermarket will manufacture more aggressive sound for those who want it.

I've handled lots of ///M's, Euro Deliveries, PC Deliveries, Dual Deliveries, some Individual Orders, an M4 GTS, an M760xi.
Appreciate 4
Amgeater2711.50
N & M371.00
Jez_zza438.50