United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2022M550i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I have no frame of reference on the Opus X. I bought 3 or 4 because my shop had them in and I knew they wouldn't last long. I've smoked one and I did enjoy it. I've been letting them season in there but haven't found an occasion. I thought I'd smoke one when Ole Miss won the College World Series, but I had a summer cold and didn't want to screw my head up more. That's my one weak spot when it comes to cigars. My sinuses get screwed up easy, so I have to spread out smoking occasions. I don't know how I smoked a pack of Marlboros a day for damn near a decade. I quit the cigarettes years ago but it just morphed into a daily Copenhagen habit.

I know some don't like the lighter cigars but I like the Cohiba Connecticut a lot. But they're so damn pricey. But as rarely as I smoke them, I don't mind burning the money. Especially since I'm not spending it on good (or bad) liquor anymore!
That's probably a good idea to let the Opus's baste for a while in the humidor. Back in the day, I did a lot of reading about the manufacturing of cigars. The big deal about the Opus X's when they were launched was that the tobacco plants were planted on virgin ground, rich in all types of minerals. They talked about the minerals being depleted in the land after many years of farming and that will impact the flavors. Weather conditions also can impact the crop...so who knows, maybe I had a bum year. In the 90's every size was absolutely outstanding. I had my name on a waiting list. They were rare and impossible to get.

The variation that I experienced with the Opus happens to all cigars...year/weather, the humidity in your humidor...etc. That's what makes it exciting...like a box of cracker jacks, you never really know what you're going to get when you buy a cigar.

If the cigar burns too hot, that will definitely make them taste raunchy. It'll taste like carbon. I have to give it a while between slow drags for them to cool down. Drag slowly till you see smoke coming from the tip, then let it go. You'll get the best that cigar can offer....at least that's the method I found to be the best...never overheats. And don't force the ash. I see people all the time flicking the shit out of their cigars. The longer the ash, the better that cigar was put together.

Like yourself, I will smoke both natural and maduros cigars. CT shade is supposed to be the best natural wrapper on the planet.
Oliva makes a pretty good CT at a decent price, I think. The Cohiba CT is the best one I've had yet. I think I'll keep one or two on deck but I try not to burn them if I can't really relax. Apparently, they use a Mexican wrapper.

Edit - sorry! It uses a Mexican binder.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
Mandingo93510.50