View Single Post
      01-21-2023, 03:32 PM   #1
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i x

Questions on a build/options

Dealer said they can still order an M550i, so I am going that route since I have some time. I have some questions on options available. BMW website is not very helpful on explaining the difference options.

#1a. Does the Shadowline just provide gloss black grill/lights/accents/painted mirrors? I really like the silver contrast on my current M340, which looks like it would be the standard M Performance option. It seem 90% of the cars on the lots have the Shadowline.

#1b. Extended Shadowline $0 option. How is this different than above $500 option?

#2. 20" Wheels. In my experience BMW larger wheel options don't have enough cushion for Chicagoland roads. I was going to stick with 19" wheel setup to save some cost and have better ride. I will ditch the run flats for performance summer tires again.

#3. Does space saver spare reduce cargo capacity in the trunk?

#4. Are the Massaging seats worth $1K? Most of my driving is 30 minutes or less. I don't have them on any other car so I am not really missing something I never had before.

#6. Leather Dashboard. Is this another option worth $750? I am getting the Nappa seating.

#8. Dynamic Handling Package. I've searched on this and still can't figure it out. It seems people have different responses if it's on a 550 or 540. From what I gather, the DHP provides a softer on straight roads and helps parking in tight areas. I am not worried about ease of help parking since my other vehicles (M340 aside) are all longer and I never had an issue. My main worry is about Handling and Ride comfort. My M340 rides pretty poorly on Chicagoland roads. It has the fixed suspension since I couldn't find any with adaptive suspension. If the standard M550 rides softer than the M340 fixed suspension, then I think I would be OK. If it rides comparable, I think I would want the DHP.

Coming from an M340, I am worried the handling without it might be kind of sucky without it. However, I am not rally racing the car either. $3,600 is a lot of coin to spend if ride quality is only improved marginally.

On a lease, the DHP and Massaging seats add up to an additional $64/mo. Not exactly earth shattering, but with current MF rates, the price is already getting into the hard to justify range.
Appreciate 0