View Single Post
      02-11-2024, 10:09 AM   #5
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

So, tires came in last week. Went to have them mounted and one of them won't balance. On the road force balancer, they could only get it to 24lbs, which I understand is like twice the maximum allowance. Tire Rack was very helpful, though. Basically no effort on my part. Left the wheel and tire at the shop. Tire Rack will deliver the new tire AND pick up the bad one. Should be done next week, though I'm still a ways off from installing them on the car. Want to do the brakes and springs, first.

Which, BTW, decided to do the M Sport brake upgrade! I have a bad pulsation in my brakes, especially at highway speeds. I finally took a moment to look at my rotors and all but one of them is pretty heavily grooved. The fourth one is beautiful, though. I've never seen a more perfect wear pattern before. Tells me that the dealer replaced that rotor/pads for some reason. I've had my suspicions that this car has taken a curb to the right front corner since I bought it, based on some other things. So, I'm guessing this might be related.

Anyway, in an attempt to mitigate pulsations issues that seem to be a bit prevalent on this platform (and to appease my irrational need to upgrade things), I'm going with some used M Sport brakes and slotted rotors from Brakenetic. Still trying to figure out what pads I want to use, though. Having a hard time finding reliable part numbers for Red Stuff pads for the M Sport brakes. However, Brakenetic has low dust pad options but they haven't replied to me about those yet. There is also the Brembo pads that I need to look into.

Lastly, also attempted to install the front lip last weekend but was not happy with the mounting hardware situation. So, I'm experimenting with that. I'll do a write up in a separate thread, if I get a positive outcome from that.
Appreciate 0