View Single Post
      04-25-2024, 02:50 PM   #12
arkhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikiking View Post
Thank you for your response. The service department told me that the update that I can do myself will not solve the problem. They are updating the computer that controls the analytics of the engine. It was a little confusing to me, but I’m just going on what the service department told me. I am very technically savvy and updating a computer would be very simple for me. Unfortunately, the BMw service dep told me it was not an option to fix my car.
I don't know what they're on about, but if they can touch it, so can you. https://bmwtechinfo.bmwgroup.com/

This is a little bit more complex than updating a computer, unless you have experience with updating and manipulating firmware of microcontrollers.

Because if you do it wrong, you can brick your say, DME (controls the engine) and you'll have a lot of hurt $$$ wise.

Also, it's actually $32 for the subscription (not $36).

To give you an opinion: I know how to do this myself, but I don't have a decent power supply. I also don't have an OEM ICOM (I don't want the cheaper knock-offs on ebay, and the OEM is $600), just ENET so the update will take 2-4 hours. A decent power supply will run me ~$250 (it's $1k+ for a BMW-approved one, I also don't want to jerry-rig a server power supply, which you can do for cheap). So I paid the dealer $570.

Last edited by arkhi; 04-25-2024 at 02:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
CMK34.50