View Single Post
      10-05-2014, 11:47 PM   #8
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The new 5er will feature the 530eDrive Plug-In Hybrid and the all new 5er Gran Turismo will introduce a BMW-Toyota jointly developed fuel cell.
And I guess the 530e will go the usual 50 km on electric drive only? Not good enough. 500+ km on full electric is what's needed.
And why not a 520e?

Fuel cells make no sense at all. I assume it's hydrogen fuel cells, which means you either have to use electricity to get from water or use some form of fossil fuel as a base. If you go the fossil way, nothing is won. If you go the other way you first use electricity to get hydrogen, then distribute the hydrogen which is quite expensive and then fill it in a car from a hydrogen station and convert kt back to electricity to power the car. Losses in all stages and the need for a new very expensive hydrogen infrastructure to use it as a carrier for electricity basically. We already have electrical infrastructure so building charging networks is a fraction of the cost compared to building a hydrogen infrastructure. And without the losses in every conversion step.
But then again, fuel cell versions are basically just compliance cars anyway...

So I guess there will be no G3x for me. Guess we'll have to see if there will ever be an i5 or similar with good range.
Appreciate 0