11-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #82
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
I think BMW has a different vision than Tesla.
They have their small city I3 out, and I guess that is the segment they are going to focus on.
Most people are not ready for a fully electric as their primary vehicle, but a small secondary vehicle is acceptable. This is where the I3 and other small electric cars like Nissan leaf, VW e-up etc will do well.

BMW are going for Hybrids to target those who are not ready for a fully electric car, and those who cover large distances. Even with a long electric range, you still need to have a long stop to recharge, while filling up your tank takes less than 5 minutes and you are back on the road.
I doubt we will see a fully electric large size BMW before 2020.

For my personal use an I3 would be just what I need to do my daily things, I don't need a Tesla at more than twice the price.

As for the Tesla, apart from a decent power output, and a nice external design, I found the rest of the car a huge disappointment, and would never even consider one for those reasons alone. Though Tesla may improve on things in the future as their revenue increases so that it will appeal to me.

I have an i3 and an F10 for exactly those reasons. I own the i3 and lease the F10 because I'll be getting the G30 when the lease runs out. I'll consider the Plug-in version, but need to run a cost benefit analysis. I'll lease if it looks like there will be a true 4-door i5 that uses the carbon fiber core of the i3/8 with a plug-in drivetrain. THAT I'll buy.
Appreciate 0