View Single Post
      08-02-2022, 07:33 AM   #47
LuvMyE92
Occasionally frequent poster
Rep
Drives: CT5V-Blackwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cna90 View Post
Well in that case even the donut spare won't help you either! You need a full size spare tire for long drives!
It's recommended on the side wall that only drive 50miles/80kms on the donut as well. Specially cars with xDrive, longer driving will damage the transfercase.
Many years ago when the little donuts or doughnuts had come out into popular use as OE spares, Car & Driver did a review of them, how well they handled, how long they lasted, etc. It was quite surprising how well they did. I suspect that the 50 mile recommendation gives you a huge safety margin, although if the total tire diameter is different from the OE tires, then yes, I can see some distress occurring from the differential(s).

I can't remember exactly if my F10 had a spare (I think it did) and I know my F01 had one, but I think those were the last BMWs to do so. It's a darn shame that these cars are no longer designed with room to store a full-size spare. These are family cars, perfect for long journeys, and yet we can't use them for that without some worry about what may happen if you get a flat.
Past: E24,E28(3),E34,E36,E37,E38(2),E39(4),E46,E89,E92 (obviously),F01,F06,F10,F30,F87,G12,G30(2),G82(2)
Appreciate 0