03-16-2022, 12:08 PM   #18
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK - 421 View Post
Not really sure what your post means? Few typos maybe? But I posted that in 2018? Never had an issue since, plus had few new BMW’s since that post. In truth, anything can fail, a Speedo cable does and regularly did back in the day. A binnacle can fail, printed circuits burn out and fail. I genuinely believe my issue was down to a 3rd party Carplay activation via USB. As it happened in total 3 times, each time AFTER I used the paid for usb carplay hack. BMW replaced all sorts including the main head unit, display etc.. in the end I purchased the carplay direct from BMW connected drive and never had the issue again. Lesson learnt. For the record everything today is run by some sort or software, it the time we love in. Oh I’m an analogue guy through and through.
Yes. Some typos. Sorry. I was referring to the fact that computer screens do fail...sometimes temporarily and sometimes permanently. You are correct that binnacles can fail, etc. In order to go from level 2 to level 4 automation, car makers have to build in redundancy. I wish they would do the same thing for their cars whether they have level 4 automation or not.

If one has a Tesla Model 3 or Y, not only must one look to the side to see the speed one is driving, but everything is on that one screen. If it fails, you are reduced to driving analog. Try explaining to the cop who pulls you over for speeding that you didn't and couldn't know how fast you were driving because your display failed.
Appreciate 0