03-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #21
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbertels View Post
Every time I see this I think about cruise control. Specifically, how very little I use it even though much of my commute is on low traffic highways perfectly suited for it.

On the other hand, maybe self-driving cars are better than the texting-while-driving youths I've come to loath.

Maybe I'm just old.
I find cruise control to be only minorly convenient for long drives, I rarely use it and can easily just keep my foot on the throttle and keep a relatively steady pace.

On the other hand, if I can recline my seat back and relax, sleep, etc. and let my car take over for the boring part of a long drive, deal with bumper to bumper traffic on my way to work, or to get my ass home when I've been drinking and would otherwise have to find alternative transport...then I see this as extremely useful. It should eventually even be possible to send the car home without you or to summon it from your home if you went someplace with others and now would like to go to a different place on your own.

I just hope manufacturers like BMW keep making cars that are fun to drive when we want and capable of driving themselves when we don't, rather than turning their cars into boring appliances that are focused solely on autonomous driving.
Appreciate 0