View Single Post
      04-22-2024, 05:44 PM   #33
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifeedge2k1 View Post
It does what they claim (saves gas and reduces emissions) by definition because if the engine isn’t running it obviously doesn’t do either.

It will absolutely add more wear/tear with it on than off. There’s no way you can get around the fact that when the engine is off, there’s no oil pressure. Granted a warm/hot start isn’t as bad as a cold start when it comes to bearing wear…but it isn’t good either. No coating is going to last forever. Will using ASS automatically mean you will need to trash your engine prematurely? No. If you do loads of highway miles you might have ASS kick in only a handful of times per tank of gas but if you’re in start and go city traffic exclusively it might be hundreds of times or even over a thousand times per tank (which is like a year or two’s worth of starting/stopping).

Ultimately whether you want to use it is up to you.

“Starter wear” isn’t the thing that I care about. Starters aren’t really that expensive….bearings however are. Is it a silly consideration? Probably. Am I REALLY going to experience bearing failure before I trash my car? Probably not but I also don’t really care about the 0.5-1.0liters per hour I’d be saving.

Is it wasteful? Yes. But I also drive for fun, which is by definition 100% waste so the tiny amounts ASS affects is just mental masturbation in the grand scheme of things.
They've beefed up most of the relevant components. I wouldn't worry much about it unless you are in constant stop-and-go traffic, where it is ofc annoying and pointless.

For everything else, it does the job well.
Appreciate 0