View Single Post
      08-14-2017, 05:54 PM   #67
kenw
England
Rep
Drives: G30 540i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob500 View Post
I share Ken's thoughts about the VDC as I've also been a little disappointed in the ride in comfort mode and don't feel there is any very noticeable difference in the ride quality between the different modes. It may be slightly harsher in Sport but if it is then it is only slight and it may be that I'm expecting it to be and fooling myself! Before I bought the car I saw lots of comments from reviewers and others saying how amazing the ride was with 18inch wheels and VDC so I was expecting to be hardly able to feel road bumps at all in comfort mode but this has not been the case although I think it has improved gradually as the mileage has increased. Perhaps I need to wait longer as I'm only up to just under 2,000 miles so far. I tried asking my dealer about it but all they did was look in the car's diagnostics and said there were no errors. In case it helps I have a 530i SE with 18inch 684 alloys with Pirelli run flats.

Other than that though I'm delighted with the car! I also think the traffic jam assist is brilliant although I have not yet fully understood how it decides how long to wait after a stop before it will drive off by itself. Sometimes I have to press the accelerator or resume button after only a couple of seconds while other times it seems to re-start the engine and move off by itself even after more than 30 seconds. I'm still trying to fully understand it but I also think it can wait longer when both ACC and Lane Assist are on.
Hi Rob
This sounds exactly like my car. No consistency in the start stop area thats logical.

Your experience with BMW is the same. No faults showing so cant be anything wrong then!

So I say well what fault code would there be with a a faulty sub frame mounting and they say dont know.
I say how many fault codes are there for the suspension and is there one for this and they say dont know - hundreds of combinations probably!
So this is one of those difficult ones that needs a critical mass to get them to investigate in detail. As its subjective and each owner will have his/her own view on the ride comfort acceptability.
It is amazing how many statements of comfortable ride there are in the brochures, videos and even the training manuals, yet mine seeks out road imperfections with a jarring thud every time I go out.
How does one know if the shockers are working as they should?

Ken
Appreciate 0