View Single Post
      08-14-2017, 12:37 PM   #56
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Kenw
Interesting read and good to have another opinion on the 540i here in the UK.

As regards finding the ride harsh , I guess this may depend upon where you are coming from. My previous F10 had 19 inch wheels on passive msport suspension and whilst I wouldn't describe it as uncomfortable , I was certainly aware of every road imperfection. the E39 prior to that (18 inch wheels again on passive msport suspension) was arguably just a tad firmer. So for me the G30 on 20s with VDC is a more comfortable ride to me. Its good but the bigger bumps are known about but not uncomfortable in anyway.
As regards the car jumping an inch to two in corners, I experienced this in the F10 previously and once in the G30 this weekend and although I'm not an expert in such matters, my guess is that might be down to run flat tyres. I don't recall my E39 doing that. I'm used to it so know what to expect but agree it's a little odd and feels probably worse than it really is.

Haven't noticed any prism effects with the adaptive LED lights but will look out next time I get into the car, I guess there will always be a very small amount but nothing to really be an issue. Worth taking a photo against a bright wall if possible see how bad it might be?

Haven't used sport yet as still running in so hoping the difference is noticeable. I think the suspension will be the same in ECO pro as it is in comfort. I've used adaptive as well but as I'm not pushing the car yet I doubt it has selected the sport settings itself yet.

Glad BMW have agreed to offer a software update to address this, I know there is another thread talking about this . I used it quite a few times on the M40 yesterday really more for my entertainment than anything else , a cool party trick.

In terms of the car tracking the lines, it does hunt between the lanes a bit but you get used to it but as BMW state , its not really for you to leave your hands off but to assist. Like any automation system, you do need to keep an eye on it and keep yourself in the loop.

The 3 or 30 seconds thing is something I'm not 100% sure of yet but I think (and I stress think - happy to be corrected) the difference is when traffic jam assist is on or not.
If I use ACC (and no lane assist) my experience is that it is 3 seconds before you have to press RES or touch the gas pedal.
However I noticed yesterday on the M40 that with ACC and Lane assist both on the car recognizing the lane markings, the car would stop for more than 3 seconds (but less than 30) and restart again without having to press RES . or the gas pedal. It would also not prompt me to put hands on the steering wheel for quite a lot more time. So I think traffic jam assist was on in this scenario and this really means it will drive by itself unaided for quite a while.
So I think lane assist has to be on and that it can recognize the lane markings and possibly also the car in front? to be active.
The Manual is not clear to me and I've also seen a tech doc on this website for the US that states 30 seconds as well so its also possible the differences may be market specific. It's not clear though to me. Those are my findings to date but still learning.

Good point about a manual for the Navigation as it's missing from the main manual. Why couldn't it have been included? There is info on this with the BMW app that you can download but agree its penny pinching.

Have you tried voice input for the SATNAV? I've not had much success with that so far.

Shame its not your new F11.
Appreciate 0