NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsbrown View Post
After owning the M550 I don’t think you’ll like the 840 GC much - very nice if relatively underpowered to your current car- but the M850 GC could be very compelling. 20 years ago I switched from consecutive 5ers to a 330i ZHP, then an M3 lite. I don’t think I could do that now, I just prioritize comfort more. But the G20 is a good size car, not too big.
I expect I’d agree after a drive in the 840 GC. Big presence but no real bite, relative to what I’ve got. But I’d jump on a test opportunity just to get a feel for the size and feel of the car. That’s why I tested the 330. Probably a very different drive than a M340 but I at least got to test out the seats and the size and the wind noise.

The M340 is really tempting. I’ll probably have it in the back of my mind for a while. But after testing all those and then getting back in the M550 with DHP, Lux seating, and Bowers stereo, it’s pretty hard to realistically imagine trading the M550 when it still has so much life left. I’ll probably sink the maintenance “investment” into it and roll on another couple years.

Supposedly, MY2025 will bring more upscale interior components to the M340 (but no bowers stereo). The same is expected for the new X3. If the M340 had some more seat comfort, upgraded leather, and upgraded hard materials then MAYBE it would be an easier switch. But still, hard to beat a M550 G30. I don’t even think it takes hard turns any “worse”, it just feels different.

Moral of the story… I wish I could afford to own two new-ish cars!

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
tsbrown1099.50