View Single Post
      04-16-2024, 04:53 PM   #22
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
I've owned three BMWs with run flat tires, but I am not sure that it's the tires that bear all the blame. To keep up with fashion trends, the manufacturers must offer larger and larger wheel/tire combinations and that result in taller rims and shorter tire sidewalls. Considering its a run-flat's stiff sidewalls that support the vehicle in the event of a puncture, the engineering of these tires is quite difficult. The stiff sidewalls result in a very heavy tire carcass, that works against it (in the form of inertia) when hitting a pothole. Wheels are more often damaged too. Hence BMW dealers flogging wheel and tire insurance at the time of purchase.

While I personally hate runflat tires, conventional tires, no matter the manufacture, mounted on 19 and 20-inch wheels will fare no better with potholes. The laws of physics will still apply. Just go back to 17" wheels and these issues will largely go away.
Indeed. Common sense.

If you hit a pothole at speed with a low-profile tire, you are done for (usually). Runflat makes no difference.

Last pothole I hit was 15 years ago when I lived in DC, and it destroyed my Pilot Sport. Potholes seem not to exist in most of Western Europe, or I have become an exceptional driver.
Appreciate 0