Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy_y View Post
Better yet, imagine a car you drive to a party, and after you are wasted, drives you back home safely and keeps others safe on the road.

Imagine an electrical car that drives you to the airport and returns back home safely and restores its charge. If the home is powered by renewal sources, your environmental footprint would be minimal. Now scale this to 6 billion people.

Imagine a car that avoids all the potholes on its own.

The possibilities are truly amazing ...

For pedestrian drivers who spend more time texting than paying attention to the road, I'm all for using this tech to get them out of the drivers seat.

But I can't help but feel that this is some big power grab that will inevitably lead to banning enthusiasts like us from being able to drive our own cars on the road (they'll claim it's for insurance purposes or some other bogus reason).
Bingo. "Think of the children!" If not the law then insurance rates. But do we need insurance companies?

The main point is why would I want brand x or why when it's just a box that drives me? Performance ? Doesn't matter. Looks? Doesn't matter. Handling? Doesn't matter. I really don't care about which scissors I use they just need to cut. BMW? Who cares? That which defines it will be moot. As will any other brand value. So what's the new value prop when I can buy a self driving box cheaper elsewhere?

I see a role for this in driving hell like the San Francisco Bay Area. In less urban/dense areas where one can actually drive there's less need. Some of us enjoy driving, shooting, fishing, skydiving, scuba diving, good whiskey. All things that are "dangerous". A world that's foam padded and totally safe is boring as hell and sounds like being imprisoned in an asylum to me. That's not a world I look forward too.
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12202.50