View Single Post
      12-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #143
BG23
Private
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwoodBMW View Post
ummm... 5 years ahead? yeah you may be the only one. You can argue that certain aspects of the e63 are superior but no doubt this is a competitive segment. Performance wise the only data we have is one reviewer whose test data put the M car faster to 60 and to the quarter mile. Given different conditions, different days, who knows accuracy of equipment but clearly they'll be in the same ballpark from a performance standpoint. Having sat in both I think the M5 interior is nicer (I despise the flat two screen dash of the AMG). Will the AMG come out on top in some tests? I'm sure it will but these cars are neck and neck.
I spent quite a bit of time comparing these 2 including 2 days driving the E63s. In summary I thought it was a great car and I would be happy owning one. I would note that I do quite a few miles and the E63's ride was almost a deal breaker.

On paper the E63s is the one that falls short though. From a tech standpoint the BMW does everything the Merc does but more - some of the cool camera things you can do both inside the cabin and from your phone are amazing. I also really like the remote parking!

I've seen some people swoon over the E63's dash - this design language looks like someone has just stuck 2 pads on the dash. Unfortunately the M5 suffers a little it here as well. I also found the idrive system superior in my F10 - let alone the F90.

I was also shocked to find that you can't even order items like soft close doors on the E63.

Weight is the enemy of these cars and getting it down from here is expensive - producing more power with theses engines is comparatively cheap and easy. BMW choose to spend money on weight - and I expect dynamically there will be quite a big reward for doing so.

Ultimately the head said M5, the heart loved the E63S sound... but ultimately I decided to get the M5
Appreciate 0