View Single Post
      04-12-2022, 05:59 PM   #79
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
This thread is informative in another way: it seems that BMW has stymied its customers in North America. I have a 2018 Luxury Line series 540d xdrive with lights that read "BWM Adaptive LED". When DOT recently allowed adaptive headlights on US cars, I thought that some coding might would make my car's OEM lights to come to life. But from reading the postings, there is a required hardware change costing a fortune and then programing at a couple of levels.

The previous 5 Series generation arrived with rear fog lights at the rear, but here in the US the car did not include the button needed to activate these lights in the lighting switch assembly. By switching it with a Euro version for about $180, the rear fogs function as intended - complete with the indicators on the dash. The generation prior to F10, was even cheaper to get the rear fogs working.

While not an exact parallel, when 3G was cancelled, my F25 and former F10 lost many of its online-related features. BMW's response was to walk away claiming that the proper onboard electronics could not be retro fitted and to buy a newer model instead. Like the adaptive headlight issue, BMW intends its customers to just buy a new vehicle (from them) with working adaptive headlights. Not a customer-friendly attitude.
NGHB are now allowed, but they still have to be certified. It is not clear whether hardware swap is needed, but coding at the very least is needed and possible calibration.

BMW offered both 2G to 3G as well as 3G to 4G upgrades or gift cards for parts shop.
Appreciate 0