View Single Post
      07-18-2017, 12:55 PM   #57
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
So taking my car out of it I've just looked up the typical times of the E60 M5. Not directly comparable, as it may have been a little lighter, and slightly more powerful with 500bhp, though much less torque, and no xdrive.

That car is about half a second slower to 60mph than a 550i, and yet runs about 12.35 for a good 1/4 mile @118mph.

So despite that lack of traction at the start it manages to uses its power to catch back up and cross at a similar time, at a slightly higher speed. If someone has the skill to get the start right anyway...

Or I suppose the other way to look at that is your car is still bloody quick, and more likely than not you'll beat an E60 M5 at the drag strip!
Correct. With traction you tend to lose MPH, not gain it. In fact, when you spin you pick up MPH as you are "lengthening" the runway. I have had people beat me early on when my car was a bolt on setup with better ET and less MPH - because they were cutting much better 60' times than I was - and keeping that traction all the way to the towers, while I was spinning and effectively standing still as they make their way down the track.

The E60 M5 is the last of the "smaller" GT's and using its trap speed - I know it has a better power to weight than the M550ix. If the M5 ran a solid 60 to get that 12.35 then it would take a tire for him to do it again against me. If that ET was with spinning - then he will likely run a 12.0 with better traction, tires, weight and DA at a better MPH than the M550ix - probably around 115. The M550ix would also lose MPH in a better ET run - removing special circumstances with super cool air and correspondingly fantastic DA - but on the same day I ran the 12.36 at 115 - if the car hooked better - I would gain a tenth or two and likely lose a MPH air two in the process - as the traction means less time on the track to increase speed (thus "shortening" the track").

It's all math in the end of the day.
Appreciate 0