View Single Post
      01-26-2014, 12:07 AM   #85
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
Honestly when people start looking at a 3-cylinder 5-series, why not look elsewhere? It seems like that buyer is just looking for generic transportation. There are other options that get you from point A to point B, with all the amenities/features of BMW for a lot less money.
True. The way I look at it is BMW seems to have reached a peak and seems to have been resting on its laurels lately. They have this notion of more cars in more segments and of believing that people will cough up a lot of money for the brand name, and perhaps people do. But they aren't producing cars worth that expense any more. That is my perception of the brand now.

Other companies like Hyundai, for example, are fairly newcomers in the sport-luxury segment and they seem to have put in a good deal of work coming up with good stuff at a low price and a better warranty. They don't want to screw up early in the game and ruin their reputation. They obviously want to gain as much market share as possible so I can see how their new cars can be almost as good as the Germans or better in terms of more value/features for the money. Definitely worth a look for me. RWD/AWD, V6/V8, lots of features, etc.
Appreciate 0