BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Highway vibrations

08-19-2022, 03:42 AM   #287
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep
Drives: G30 520d LIMOUSINE

Update :
installed Feeler Gauge tape 0,12mm, problem solved !
no friction discs required, no shafts required

it was not easy, but i introduce the tape between spacer and wheel with grease, with small rubber hammer and rubber wedge, then i introduced the wheel combined with spacer on the hub

0,15mm was too difficult to introduce, but 0,12 was okay

i did 50kms since and no vibration remains, for me it's solved
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-19-2022, 03:44 AM   #288
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep

feeler gauge tape from munich lolName:  IMG_1617.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  1.07 MB
Appreciate 1
Mikej0h50.00
      08-19-2022, 03:57 AM   #289
prototech
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Serie 5 G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap_konnius View Post
Indeed. The German dealer mentioned they had 5 or more cars with the issue. Well I guess I was lucky, purchasing the car so close to its birthplace in Munich.
My current local dealer in Prague, Czech Republic, admitted it only after it was fixed by somebody else = they don't have to deal with it.

Sent, my friend.
Good morning, I'm new to the forum and to the BMW world. I came looking for information on this problem and saw your thread. Would you be so kind as to email me the information you have? My email is marcmari80@gmail.com. I am very grateful to you.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 04:17 AM   #290
cap_konnius
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i Touring [G31]

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototech View Post
Good morning, I'm new to the forum and to the BMW world. I came looking for information on this problem and saw your thread. Would you be so kind as to email me the information you have? My email is marcmari80@gmail.com. I am very grateful to you.
Replied to your e-mail.
Good luck with your issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 05:11 AM   #291
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5 Series 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchstar-57 View Post
Update :

it was not easy, but i introduce the tape between spacer and wheel with grease, with small rubber hammer and rubber wedge, then i introduced the wheel combined with spacer on the hub

I've also ordered metal rings for spigot which same way of french.

Will inform you guys soon
Appreciate 2
Mikej0h50.00
Crobmw0.00
      08-19-2022, 07:50 AM   #292
2022M550i
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550i, 2015 Viper

I'm coming into the game a little late here. I didn't read all 14 pages of posts. Has anyone considered an out of balance driveshaft or Guibo?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 08:02 AM   #293
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Update :

does anybody know if BMW rims were usually made from china as shown in the pic?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2022, 08:32 AM   #294
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
does anybody know if BMW rims were usually made from china as shown in the pic?
i have 3 set of wheel :

17 inch OEM by ronal made in austria (winter set)

17 inch OEM by dicastal made in china (factory summer set)

18 inch OEM by ronal made in austria ( my new summer set)

they all have the problem, in the picture with the caliper, i measured the ronal 18 inch wheel, during this test, it was with the 17 inch OEM by dicastal made in china (factory summer set)
Appreciate 1
BMW0121009.00
      08-20-2022, 02:22 PM   #295
barevas
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G31

Quote:
Update :

Hello, I noticed same vibration problem for my two of three G31's which I had in few years. So the problem seems to be often. Now I feel this problem also, bought new tyres, checked wheels, checked balance and geometry - everything good, but vibration still happens around 120-130kmh. Can you please explain more detailed what parts have you bought and what steps have you made to solve this problem? What is the code of that part "spacer" to search and buy it?

Thank you
Appreciate 1
Crobmw0.00
      08-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #296
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barevas View Post
Hello, I noticed same vibration problem for my two of three G31's which I had in few years. So the problem seems to be often. Now I feel this problem also, bought new tyres, checked wheels, checked balance and geometry - everything good, but vibration still happens around 120-130kmh. Can you please explain more detailed what parts have you bought and what steps have you made to solve this problem? What is the code of that part "spacer" to search and buy it?

Thank you
Hello,
The root cause for me is the wheel tolerance, the bore is 66,74-66,74mm
so there is a play between hub spigot and wheel, and this play can create vibration at specific speed range (120km/h-160)
maybe your vibration are coming from an other reason
To avoid to spend money, you can test to add 3M TEMFLEX 1500(0,15mm thickness) and 15mm wide on the hub spigot, if the vibration decrease, you have the same problem
then i replaced the tape by a feeler gauge tape metal 0,12mm thickness , i just use eibach spacer to helps me to insert the feeler gauge tape , but you can try to insert the feeler gauge tape without spacer, its possible but not easy to adjust.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 06:39 AM   #297
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep

update : The car is still smooth as cloud !
to resume, there is several possible solution
-> change for aftermarket wheel with wheel bore that measure 66,6mm and check it !
-> add gauge tape 0,12 mm (it depends on your wheel clearance), regular spacer will helps you to introduce the gauge
-> make custom spacer with 66,62 spigot diameter ( depending on your wheel clearance)

Last edited by Frenchstar-57; 08-25-2022 at 06:47 AM..
Appreciate 3
      09-01-2022, 07:33 AM   #298
wkloppen
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 M550-Xdrive

Hello Cap_Konnius....I've been reading your post with great interest and after all the work we've done on the M550i I'm 99.9% sure we're having the exact same issue. If you could share the documents with me....would be highly appreciated! willem.kloppenburg@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 02:06 PM   #299
Haradrim
Private
Turkey
Rep
Drives: Bmw 5 Series 2021

Hello All,

A big update from my side.

Unfortunately friction disks + tape on spigot did not give the best solution. Still vibration are came.

I drove car until today with thick aluminium tape and vibrations was 2/10

Today i bough special made spacer 12mm for each wheel.

G30 hub spigot is 66,50mm and according to Frencstar's information measured my rims at factory. And my wheel hubs are 66,70mm. 0,20m clearance which enough for vibrations.

12mm spacer with 66,68(69) spacer mounted today.

And all the problems went away. No vibration on accelare, brake, hill or turns.
Appreciate 3
Igor_M52156.50
      09-05-2022, 02:55 PM   #300
Mag_Ice_DL
Rep
Drives: 530 xDrive; 330e xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haradrim View Post
Hello All,

Unfortunately friction disks + tape on spigot did not give the best solution. Still vibration are came.

G30 hub spigot is 66,50mm and according to Frencstar's information measured my rims at factory. And my wheel hubs are 66,70mm. 0,20m clearance which enough for vibrations.

It may not be the same in this particular case, but I have had similar issue on my previous car of other brand and had a vibration on certain speed. Dealer changed everything possible to cure the issue - tyres, rims, drive shafts etc. But no result.
It turned out that vibration was not depending on speed but on RPM as the source of vibration was a torque lock mechanism with the transmission.
Thus, the issue may be somewhere else. Just a thought.
      09-05-2022, 05:19 PM   #301
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag_Ice_DL View Post
Quote:
Hello All,

It may not be the same in this particular case, but I have had similar issue on my previous car of other brand and had a vibration on certain speed. Dealer changed everything possible to cure the issue - tyres, rims, drive shafts etc. But no result.
It turned out that vibration was not depending on speed but on RPM as the source of vibration was a torque lock mechanism with the transmission.
I think he's saying he finally solved it with the 12mm spacer.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 10:43 PM   #302
Mag_Ice_DL
Rep
Drives: 530 xDrive; 330e xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag_Ice_DL View Post
Quote:
Hello All,

I think he's saying he finally solved it with the 12mm spacer.
As I saw other people having vibration issues, I thought to give it as a reference for others who may struggle with similar symptoms however it doesn't necessarily mean caused by the same issue.
NGT25770.50
      09-06-2022, 12:09 AM   #303
Frenchstar-57
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hello All,

Custom made spacer, to fit your high tolerance wheel, congrats ! you reduced from 0,20mm tolerance to 0,02, i think it is the best solution
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 04:40 AM   #304
AnthonyVincent
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M850i

I am going to join this thread because I noticed a slight vibration starting a couple weeks ago at speeds above 65MPH. I brought the car into BMW of Pembroke Pines, FL and they discovered the right front wheel is slightly "bent" on the inside. A video was sent to me by the mechanic showing a slight out of round and not an impact type bend or dent in the rim (screenshot of video attached - just to illustrate the dealer process). I don't recall hitting any type of pothole or object that would have done this. Also certain the rim was fine when I purchased the car a year ago. The dealer has a rim repair vendor that they use. The car is a 2021 540i M Sport with the staggered 20in wheels and 8032 miles on the odometer. I understand that low profile wheels with run flats are susceptible to rim damage but didn't think they were this delicate. I am awaiting an estimate on repair but am also apprehensive about the repair process itself. I've read on this thread that many have had rim damage and repairs and would appreciate feedback. Particularly, if you had a similar experience of damage being somewhat of a mystery (not hitting a large pothole). Also, feedback on repair process. Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 07:04 AM   #305
Return_of_Bimmer
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540I XDrive

Rim Repair

i had a bent rim that was noticed by the dealer as well. i found a local rim repair shop that charged $190 and fixed it in a matter of an hour. I suggest you look around your town like i did knowing that the dealer's cost will be much higher.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 07:55 AM   #306
AnthonyVincent
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return_of_Bimmer View Post
i had a bent rim that was noticed by the dealer as well. i found a local rim repair shop that charged $190 and fixed it in a matter of an hour. I suggest you look around your town like i did knowing that the dealer's cost will be much higher.
Thanks. I haven't received the quote yet from the dealer but fully expect it to be higher than a local rim repair shop. I don't have any experience with repair shops in the Miami area where I live. There are many mobile wheel repair guys but I think they just specialize in curb rash and not structural damage. My concern regardless of who is used is the repair process itself, specifically if it restores the structural integrity of the wheel and also if the repaint process looks good and doesn't flake off. Also annoyed that the rim is so susceptible to this type of damage. I have never driven over a pothole or anything that would have caused concern. That being said, the streets and highways are not completely smooth and something must have bent the rim. I also have a 2020 Lexus GSF with low profile tires and other cars in the past with the same type of wheel setup. This is a first for me and it's discouraging that these BMW rims are so easily damaged.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #307
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return_of_Bimmer View Post

how badly was it bent? also, some places are cheaper, but they tell you up front it wont be 100% round again.

did it drive just like day 1 again? or was there still some slight vibration afterwards?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2022, 10:03 AM   #308
AnthonyVincent
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW012 View Post
how badly was it bent? also, some places are cheaper, but they tell you up front it wont be 100% round again.

did it drive just like day 1 again? or was there still some slight vibration afterwards?

I purchased the car in June of 2021 and only noticed the vibration 2 weeks ago. Just a slight vibration above 65 mph. I did not see any visible damage on the wheel or tire. I checked all before bringing to the dealer. The dealer sent me a video of the wheel spinning while the car was on the lift and I could see a very slight wobble on the inside. Very odd.
Appreciate 0