BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Ambient Air/Ionizer retrofit

03-08-2024, 10:58 PM   #23
souwester42
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30 530e, i3, Alpina D10

Hello roxxor,

Exactly what I was missing.
1000 thanks.

Greetings
Jürgen
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 11:39 PM   #24
tsk750i
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 750I G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxor View Post
This past week, I was finally able to tackle the retrofit I wanted to do of the Ambient Air and Ionizer options for the car. If anyone else ends up taking this on, feel free to reach out and I can provide some tips/info and part #'s. Maybe one day I will get around to doing a full DIY write-up, but I missed out on several of the photos I wanted to get during the process.

Total cost for all of the parts ended up being around $700, including some Ambient Air Cartridges, but not including the Touch Climate Control Panel, which I don't believe is necessary for the Ambient Air or the Ionizer to work as they operate through the Climate Control Menu on the G30.

The short version of the directions is to remove the center console and the dashboard, instructions on which can be found here.. Once you get this done, you can connect and run the wiring for the 2 new modules. You then mount the Ionizer module on top of the IHKA Control Module. Going back to the dashboard which is out of the car, you can now install the Air Freshener in the glove box, and run the tube for it to Center Speaker Support which you will replace. You also have to replace the air ducts, and install the actual Ionizer Emitters in the new air duct. Then, you put everything back together, and connect the new wires when you reconnect everything at the passenger side of the dash, and connect the Ionizer wiring under the passenger side.

The Ionizer does make a difference, but I haven't used the Ambient Air that much yet, as my car is still new enough that I'm still enjoying the new car smell lol. I'll be the first to admit, unless you are really die-hard about having some of those Ambient Air scents, this project falls more into the "prove it can be done/show-off to others" category, versus the "actually needed/used frequently" category of retrofits.

Pictures below, including a couple for anyone who wanted to see what your interior looks like taken apart

Hey I am interested in doing this on my 2017 750i G12. Is there anyway you can help me get the part for my car?
Appreciate 0