BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis Cracked alloys

05-04-2024, 10:05 PM   #1
Joanna
Registered
Rep
Drives: Series 5 G30

Question Cracked alloys

Hi guys, I am posting on behalf of a colleague so may not have all the info but this is what we have:
He had a diagnostic test at the Dealership. The test showed 3 cracked alloy wheels in a car which has barely done 28K miles. 1 front wheel and 2 at the back, all cracked at the inside section.
The car is still under manufacturer's warranty. We complained to BMW but we got a few lines in reply- sorry, not covered by warranty.
But the test also showed that there is no other damage to the wheels; no buckling, no external impact etc.
So it does seem like an inherent problem with the material/car/manufacturer.

I have trawled the net and found that there was a class action against BMW about 10 years ago as BMW refused to pay for cracked alloys but in the end they have changed their policy. (BMW will pay for replacement alloys - Diamond Alloys )

Does anyone have any experience of getting BMW to agree to replace cracked alloys under warranty or could offer any advice or signpost me to a link with more info?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 11:58 PM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think you will struggle personally.
The bad state of roads with potholes and runflat tyres means they are prone to this unfortunately , especially those with larger wheels and smaller profile tyres.

The runflat tyre will transmit the impact to the wheel and if it’s it particular bad, you could end up denying it cracking it.

The latest 5 series has changed to normal tyres
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 04:26 AM   #3
MRDILLONS
Private
Rep
Drives: Nissan Maxima

I had 4 cracked rims replaced and 10 Goodyear runflats replaced in the first year. I also have the tire and wheel warranty I brought when I got the car. Took off the runflats and increased the size of my new Pirelli’s and since then I only had to replace 1 tire because of a big pothole caught me while traveling behind a tractor trailer. Those runflats are pices of crap. Good luck with replacing those rims, they seem to love delivering that news about how much it’s about to cost you. Luckily I had that tire wheel warranty
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 09:54 PM   #4
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Since BMW dealers flog separate tire/wheel warranties at time of purchase, one should not be surprised when BMW refuses to cover wheel and/or tire damage as part of a vehicle's conventional warranty. While this may appear cynical, BMW's run-flat program appears to benefit the company on two levels: it save money by not supplying spares, jacks and tools, while charging exorbitant prices for replacement tires and wheels at the retail level.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2024, 07:49 PM   #5
BlueSander
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550i

cracked alloys can be welded, unless a piece is fallen off from the wheel then replacement is your only option. Cost here in the States is around 140-180 each.
Appreciate 0