BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Multicontour (Comfort) Seats vs Sports Seats

04-12-2017, 05:36 AM   #23
rza2000
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7

I decided to go for comfort seats :-) thank you all for all your comments, very much appreciated! I could not quite stretch to Nappa but you cant have everything
Appreciate 3
      04-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #24
BMWSKI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E63 AMG Saloon :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rza2000 View Post
I decided to go for comfort seats :-) thank you all for all your comments, very much appreciated! I could not quite stretch to Nappa but you cant have everything
I tried these today as well just to make sure and as soon as I started to play around I was sold. I have back problems anyway so these should definitely help. I got carried away and ordered massage too
Appreciate 2
rza200050.50
TopgearLA119.50
      04-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #25
rza2000
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
I tried these today as well just to make sure and as soon as I started to play around I was sold. I have back problems anyway so these should definitely help. I got carried away and ordered massage too
Nice one mate! Why not hey lol

I tried them too and the shoulder adjustment sold me!
Appreciate 2
BMWSKI167.00
TopgearLA119.50
      03-15-2018, 10:56 AM   #26
Pimpf
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530e M-Sport, Soph Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notechy View Post
I specified (electric) sports seats on my G30 SE. Only done about 700 miles, including two 200 mile trips, and I am fully content. They are somewhat more substantial than the sports seats which I had on my F31. I note many references to the quality of the comfort seats but I am certainly not feeling that I have missed out on something.
I've specced these but electric with memory, I know they don;t have the upper back adjustment but I can;t seem to find out if the thigh support is electrically or manually adjustable.

Can anyone offer any answer?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 01:42 PM   #27
Dephead2004
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Thigh support is electrical. Control is on the standard electric controls on all seats. Lumbar extra. Super duper seats adjust a lot more electrically.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #28
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSKI View Post
So are people also speccing Nappa leather when they go for comfort seats or just sticking with Dakota? I'm already over budget but I love the Nappa in my E63 as it really lifts the interior quality to another level
I have gone Nappa and comfort seats really nice fit.
      03-15-2018, 04:35 PM   #29
Pimpf
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 530e M-Sport, Soph Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephead2004 View Post
Thigh support is electrical. Control is on the standard electric controls on all seats. Lumbar extra. Super duper seats adjust a lot more electrically.
Thanks. I’ve added lumbar too but not gone for comfort seats. Manual (downloaded as I have the vin) shows electric control in the seat image (also shows upper back rest adjustment though) but then goes on to describe manual adjustment of the thigh support. Hence the confusion.
Gagging for it to arrive now.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 10:22 PM   #30
bimmer_335
Major
Rep
Drives: 540 mSport

Multi-contour seats have more adjustments than you will ever need. I've had people jump in my car and made comment on how easy it was to find a comfortable driving position.

That said, its indulgence at its core. Do you need comfort seats... probably not. Would you miss them if you have never had them... definitely not!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 10:49 PM   #31
r3amir
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X2

I am definitely happy with my sport seats, I am sure comfort seats are better.

I had comfort seats in my F10 previously
2006 325i Arctic Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2018, 06:15 AM   #32
DTom
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: G30

I ve been using sport seats in previous two 5series. Having Comfort (Multicontour) seats for the first time now i am very unhappy and i would exchange them for sport ones in a second if i could. My logic was comfort seats must be better and i did not even bother to test them. Big mistake, despite having so many ways to set them up i was not able to come with comfortable permanent setup for my body till now.

On long rides does not matter how i set them i am having right leg pain, it feels almost like seat is not parallel with gas pedal axis. During fast cornering i have feel like sliding out of the seat. Side bolsters does not help and in addition it seems car does not remember their last position, while sports seats had ability to "encapsulate me".
Perhaps i am weirdo, but this is my experience so far.

Girlfriend, on the other hand, says those are best seats she sat in (does not drive long rides and does not ride fast ). Therefore my recommendation is, definitely test them by ride before buying.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #33
clintorama
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

First time post! Excited to be in this group.

Does anyone know the difference between "multicontour" and "comfort" seats? My G30 530e build is on the water, should arrive in three days. I ordered "multicontour" seats but is that different than "comfort"? I know they are heated because I also have Executive Tier. Specifically, which seat package gets the air / massage? THANKS!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #34
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Same thing depending what market you are in. In the uk they are called comfort seats. In the US multi contour.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 02:00 PM   #35
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintorama View Post
First time post! Excited to be in this group.

Does anyone know the difference between "multicontour" and "comfort" seats? My G30 530e build is on the water, should arrive in three days. I ordered "multicontour" seats but is that different than "comfort"? I know they are heated because I also have Executive Tier. Specifically, which seat package gets the air / massage? THANKS!
When I spec'd my 540I build I chose Ivory Nappa Seats and the executive package which automatically selected the tab Multi-Contour Seats at a charge of 750 dollars.

However my heated seats came under the Msport Category I selected.. you may want to check to make sure you get heated seats with the executive package

I think you can select Multi-contour when you upgrade to Nappa Leather selection or as an upgrade to the Dakota sport seats.

and then for the Nappa you have the Luxury Seating option as well which includes Ventilated Seats / Massage

Don't really know what comfort seats are unless that's the luxury seating mentioned above.
      03-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #36
clintorama
Rep

Multi Contour

Quote:
Originally Posted by rza2000 View Post
All,

As per other post I am about to order a new 5 series and just finalising spec. I thought Id create a new thread specifically about the seats. A few have mentioned to go with the multicontour/ Comfort seats?

Regards,
Riz
Does anyone know which seat packages come with MASSAGE and AIR VENTILATION? I ordered multi contour seats on my G30 530e, which is heading to California now on the water. Love my build but I never considered massage and air.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #37
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintorama View Post
Does anyone know which seat packages come with MASSAGE and AIR VENTILATION? I ordered multi contour seats on my G30 530e, which is heading to California now on the water. Love my build but I never considered massage and air.
Luxury seating option
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 03:10 PM   #38
Canuck99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i, '15 Jaguar F-Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTom View Post
I ve been using sport seats in previous two 5series. Having Comfort (Multicontour) seats for the first time now i am very unhappy and i would exchange them for sport ones in a second if i could. ....
During fast cornering i have feel like sliding out of the seat. Side bolsters does not help and in addition it seems car does not remember their last position, while sports seats had ability to "encapsulate me".
Perhaps i am weirdo, but this is my experience so far. ...
No you're not weird, I feel the same way. I'm slowly getting used to them after 4 months but because of the lack of support it actually makes the car feel less agile to me. I'm reminded how much they suck every time I get in my F-Type R which is about to go end of lease. Those seats totally embrace you. Maybe once it's gone I'll be more content...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #39
clintorama
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
Luxury seating option
Thanks for the reply.

Just got this as well from the dealership here in LA:

The Multi Contour seat is our premium seat. It is a 20 position seat. It is not ventilated and does not include massaging. That is found in the Luxury seating package that upgrades to the Multi Contour and adds those two features.

So you are right, "LUXURY SEATING PACKAGE" is what you need of you want massaging and air ventilation. Multi Contour is the upgraded seat with more positioning options (pros and cons in this thread) but does not include massage and air unless you get luxury seating.

Case closed!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 06:46 PM   #40
kampod
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i XDrive M-Sport

I understand that I’ll be in minority here, but I find the 20 ways adjustable seats to be single most uncomfortable car seat I ever tried. And this is coming from humble roots, your family accords, camrys and such. My prior car was Acura TLX with a seat that was amazingly comfortable. I spared no cost on my 2018 540. Napa lather, diamond stitching with M package and all. No massaging though. Just completed 650mi trip and the best fit for me was then one that didn’t cause excruciating pain but was merely Ok. I painfully aware that the seat is relatively thinly padded, the seat top is almost flat (horizontally instead of being more round shaped, so it doesn’t hug you, you just touch it like in some office chair. The motive for this post is not to bash the car, but to point out that no opinion matters except your own. Make sure to test drive exact configuration you want to order.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 02:32 AM   #41
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampod View Post
I understand that I’ll be in minority here, but I find the 20 ways adjustable seats to be single most uncomfortable car seat I ever tried. And this is coming from humble roots, your family accords, camrys and such. My prior car was Acura TLX with a seat that was amazingly comfortable. I spared no cost on my 2018 540. Napa lather, diamond stitching with M package and all. No massaging though. Just completed 650mi trip and the best fit for me was then one that didn’t cause excruciating pain but was merely Ok. I painfully aware that the seat is relatively thinly padded, the seat top is almost flat (horizontally instead of being more round shaped, so it doesn’t hug you, you just touch it like in some office chair. The motive for this post is not to bash the car, but to point out that no opinion matters except your own. Make sure to test drive exact configuration you want to order.

None of us are built the same so it’s not crazy. I’m short and skinny but ironically all the 5 seats feel smaller than a 4 series and the pedals line up way better than my 4. I dint even find as much to complain about as some on the sport seats but I specced the multi countour almost precisely due to the upper back being adjustable as in my current car I was hunched as some others have mentioned since I sit a little more reclined. After having really hugged seats for a while I guess I’m ok with a little more floatiness n the softer side of things or I wouldn’t have gotten into a 5 in the first place and gotten another f32.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #42
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

I have the standard sports seats covered in Sensatec material. I really like them and find them extremely comfortable in long drives. Then again, I came from an E90 with thinly padded and short bottom cushion standard leather seats that were OK for the most part but not the most comfortable either.

I have no first hand experience with the Multicontour seats.

Folks, key to seat comfort is proper seat posture. A bad or improper posture can make the most comfy seats with multimillion positions and massage settings hard and like a park bench. Gansta like seating positions, improper reach to the pedals and steering wheel all can play against your ability to get comfortable on your seat behind the wheel.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:28 PM   #43
kampod
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i XDrive M-Sport

A quick update 1,400mi later after the my prior post. I made a few more of long trips and many little adjustments, the seat doesn’t hurt me anymore, but I don’t know if I’ll ever call it comfy. It’s ok, I made mental peace with it because the car is absolutely amazing in every way, but the seat and I don’t share the love, at least not yet
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 10:55 PM   #44
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampod View Post
A quick update 1,400mi later after the my prior post. I made a few more of long trips and many little adjustments, the seat doesn’t hurt me anymore, but I don’t know if I’ll ever call it comfy. It’s ok, I made mental peace with it because the car is absolutely amazing in every way, but the seat and I don’t share the love, at least not yet
i guess its always based on what you are used to, i came from a slew of cars with sport seats all lower to the ground in sled like fashion. the multi-contour in combination with the height are way more pleasant than my 2 doors or sport sedans of previous. The upper back tilt is really what sold me more than anything as i am one of those who slant their seat backs more reclined so this helped support my soon to be hunch back
Appreciate 0