BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Carwow video review of G30 - finally !

03-06-2017, 03:17 AM   #23
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba ba boosh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Every single car review this guy does is set in some dark forest with cloudy skies and rain.
Dude lives in England, what other backdrop can he use?
I'd rather know how are a car behaves in the damp/rain.

But yes all other times sunshine is preferable and not as forthcoming as we'd like.

However if it was sunny all the time us brits would have
a) nothing to talk about
b) would moan about how boring and hot continuous sunshine gets
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:39 AM   #24
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

I'm giving it a few months for this honey moon period to wear off before reviewers start calling it things like

-Bloated
-Sloppy suspension
-Heavy
-Feels like a towncar
-Sluggish
-BMW is losing it's way

Appreciate 1
tc328363.00
      03-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #25
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

What seats are those? In my F10 and F15 the comfort seats are MUCH thicker and it really hinders rear leg room when equipped with that option. The seats in this video really gives the back seat passengers a lot more leg room.

Alan
      03-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #26
Mariuss
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2020 530ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
What seats are those? In my F10 and F15 the comfort seats are MUCH thicker and it really hinders rear leg room when equipped with that option. The seats in this video really gives the back seat passengers a lot more leg room.

Alan
These are the sport seats with Dakota leather.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #27
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

it truly is the best car in its class. the A6 is like stepping in a time machine and the E class is almost as good but you can only get a 4 cylinder unless you go AMG. the E class has a great interior, pretty good drive, and exterior looks are objective (im not a fan of the styling). the 5 has a very clean interior (not quite as fancy as the merc), a very bold and sharp exterior, absolutely amazing handling for a big car while also being just as comfortable as the merc, and you can get a 4,6, and soon to be 8 cylinder.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #28
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post

Alan
Those are the sport seats, and for the G30, they're standard in the US. The F10 had similar seats, but you never got those in the states.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 03:25 PM   #29
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falafel Combo View Post
I'm giving it a few months for this honey moon period to wear off before reviewers start calling it things like

-Bloated
-Sloppy suspension
-Heavy
-Feels like a towncar
-Sluggish
-BMW is losing it's way

But there is a real difference in the fundamental behaviour of the G30 vs F10 chassis. The sloppiness/bloat is gone.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:28 PM   #30
visualguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by morellomax View Post
But there is a real difference in the fundamental behaviour of the G30 vs F10 chassis. The sloppiness/bloat is gone.
The G30 is an even larger car, and only a little lighter than the F10, so it's still a bloated car. Not sure what you mean by sloppiness - the F10 isn't sloppy either. Anyway, you don't buy these cars for great handling; for what you deal with on public roads, they do very well.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 05:41 PM   #31
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugzZ BunnY View Post
it truly is the best car in its class. the A6 is like stepping in a time machine and the E class is almost as good but you can only get a 4 cylinder unless you go AMG. the E class has a great interior, pretty good drive, and exterior looks are objective (im not a fan of the styling). the 5 has a very clean interior (not quite as fancy as the merc), a very bold and sharp exterior, absolutely amazing handling for a big car while also being just as comfortable as the merc, and you can get a 4,6, and soon to be 8 cylinder.
New model A6/S6 are coming in a year or so. We'll need to compare then. The current A6/S6 were better overall than the F10 in my opinion (but too bad about the expensive leases). We'll see about the next generation vs the G30.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:24 AM   #32
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
The G30 is an even larger car, and only a little lighter than the F10, so it's still a bloated car. Not sure what you mean by sloppiness - the F10 isn't sloppy either. Anyway, you don't buy these cars for great handling; for what you deal with on public roads, they do very well.
I'm just going by my experience of owning 2 F10s and test driving 2 G30s with different specs. The G30 drives like a smaller car, and has less body shake and flex and less vagueness due to the revised suspension design and stiffer body, particularly around the suspension mounting points.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 02:45 AM   #33
Levente_CSL
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 csl

Quote:
little lighter? get your facts right. the G30 is 110 kg lighter then the F10. that is a LOT lighter
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 06:57 AM   #34
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That's a good one. Lol!!
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #35
nickyhaan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G30 530i

Quote:
I'm just going by my experience of owning 2 F10s and test driving 2 G30s with different specs. The G30 drives like a smaller car, and has less body shake and flex and less vagueness due to the revised suspension design and stiffer body, particularly around the suspension mounting points.
agree on this one, i drove my f10 520i for 4 1/2 years, and now have my g30 for 3 weeks and it feels a lot lighter, at very low speeds (like driving in a parking lot) the steering is so light it almost feels like driving a mini .. (obviously doesnt fit a parking space for a mini though .. )
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #36
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThugzZ BunnY View Post
I agree that this is the best all-rounder in its class, with the E-class right there with it (it really comes down to preference).

Still, I just feel there is something missing. It's a solid product but doesn't "wow" me. The E-class didn't either, and the new A6 certainly won't either as Audi's designs are only getting more and more spartan inside and out.

I suppose that cars in this segment just aren't for people like me. Would much rather get a bright blue M3 than the more luxurious but boring and ubiquitous 5er.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 11:43 AM   #37
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

That's a good one. Lol!!
Well it's all relative I suppose. But to draw a parallel with your current car, it feels a bit like stepping out of a Mk4 straight into a Mk7 Golf in terms of poise, stability, and a ride that's firmish but is also comfortable because the damping is well matched to the spring rate. At least on the MSport.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 11:56 AM   #38
Bostongio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

I'd like a significantly lighter car (with xDrive, like -200 lbs), slightly smaller dimensions (I hate how all automakers keep adding to a car's dimensions, year after year, for no real good reason (other than maybe it looks good in the marketing?)), and less focus and effort spent on all the tech. I'm not sure people buy cars for tech that will be outdated or overshadowed in just a year or two's time anyway (if you do, well, I guess you get a new car more often than many of us).

All of my newest tech is always in my phone. I wish automakers really *got* that, that's where my life is, and so I want a car that integrates seamlessly with that, tech-wise. Apple Carplay is a travesty --dumbed-down interface that only lets you do a very few things well with it.

The G30 is close, but I agree, it does seem to be missing the "wow" factor. The styling update is, frankly, boring. Even the M550i isn't that much more aggressive. And the proportions of the front grille and face on the G30 aren't quite right -- there's something that stylistically isn't quite working for me (much like my E60's grille was too small in its front fascia).

I'll likely end up being a buyer anyway, since there's nothing more appealing in the BMW lineup, sans going to the SUV dark side. I wouldn't mind a 4GC, but the interior is definitely such a grade below the 5 series, I'd be hard pressed to enjoy the downgrade.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #39
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well it's all relative I suppose. But to draw a parallel with your current car, it feels a bit like stepping out of a Mk4 straight into a Mk7 Golf in terms of poise, stability, and a ride that's firmish but is also comfortable because the damping is well matched to the spring rate. At least on the MSport.
I will have to take your word for it. I have just seen this cycle so many times now, with the 3/4/5/6/7 series. As soon as journalists see the next shiny object (LCI, M-sport, or even a software update) that's usually the cue that it's time to trash the "base" model.

Just look at the reviews for any of the previous generation cars at launch, and then close to the end of their life cycle.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #40
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Quote:
I will have to take your word for it. I have just seen this cycle so many times now, with the 3/4/5/6/7 series. As soon as journalists see the next shiny object (LCI, M-sport, or even a software update) that's usually the cue that it's time to trash the "base" model.

Just look at the reviews for any of the previous generation cars at launch, and then close to the end of their life cycle.
Consumer economy?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #41
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:

+1

The same happens with high end audio - sublime until a newer product pops up, and suddenly the new one is so much better, and the old one was crap.

The F10 with M Sport was fine, and handled very well for a car of its size and weight.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #42
visualguy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente_CSL View Post
little lighter? get your facts right. the G30 is 110 kg lighter then the F10. that is a LOT lighter
I hope we can stick to the real facts at least here... It's 110 lbs, not kg. The F10 535i is 3,957 lbs, and the G30 540i is 3,847 lbs. It's a reduction in weight of less than 3%. That's only a little lighter.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #43
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I think you're right to be wary of this, and goodness knows I've fallen for it in
the past, and I'm not a fan of some of the things that are being pushed as improvements in the G30 (couldn't care less about the new tech, don't like the new interior) but they do seem to have done good things to the suspension and steering. It will be interesting to see whether the new version of adaptive drive (do you call it DHP ?) will be worthwhile on the new chassis.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2017, 04:37 PM   #44
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I hope we can stick to the real facts at least here... It's 110 lbs, not kg. The F10 535i is 3,957 lbs, and the G30 540i is 3,847 lbs. It's a reduction in weight of less than 3%. That's only a little lighter.
Just to throw things back into confusion, I was looking through the March 2017 UK G30 brochure and p10 says:

"UP TO 140 kg LIGHTER THANKS TO INTELLIGENT LIGHTWEIGHT CONSTRUCTION"

Is that right ?
Appreciate 0