BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Driving Assistant Plus vs Active Cruise Control

09-30-2017, 07:05 PM   #1
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Question Driving Assistant Plus vs Active Cruise Control

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So as I was building my F90 M5, I noticed these 2 features.... You can select either or... not both together...

I'm a bit confused because.... it says:

Quote:
Driving Assistant Plus
Driving Assistant Plus offers greater comfort and security during monotonous or complex driving situations. These can include traffic jams, stop-and-go traffic, long journeys or through the city, on country roads or motorways. This is facilitated by Active Cruise control with Stop&Go function, for example, which maintains a desired speed from 18mph, as well as controlling the distance to the vehicle ahead. The function always depends on the speed limit currently in place. Steering and lane control assistant is available within the same speed range and supports the driver in safely keeping the car within the middle of its lane. Lane Change Warning helps to prevent collisions, by prohibiting or correcting a lane change or unintentional straying into a different lane, during heavy traffic. Furthermore, the lane change assistant even facilitates an automatic lane change. When required, approach control warning reacts by increasing intensity, light braking and, if necessary, full braking. Additionally, the vehicle recognises and warns of potential collisions in traffic situations where it is difficult for the driver to see everything around them.
Then:

Quote:
Active Cruise Control with "Stop and Go" function
Active Cruise Control with Stop&Go function including Approach control warning with braking function increases safety and is particularly convenient when driving in dense traffic. In addition, the system constantly measures the distance to vehicles in front and maintains a pre-selected distance. Unlike purely radar-based systems, stationary objects such as vehicles waiting at traffic lights are also recognised. When desired, Speed Limit Assist adjusts the driving speed to the current speed limit, which is determined by the Speed Limit Info with no-overtaking indicator with preview. The Stop&Go function not only regulates speed down to a standstill, but also automatically accelerates back up to the desired speed as soon as traffic flow allows it. If a vehicle ahead brakes suddenly, the BMW responds immediately when the Approach control warning, which functions even without Active Cruise Control, is activated. The first warning consists of a visual signal, while the second warning, which is triggered if there is no reaction to the first, alerts the driver by means of an acoustic signal. If the driver still has not applied the brakes, the system triggers the brakes itself, down to a maximal possible deceleration if necessary.
It sounds like the Driving Assistance Plus is the better option and it costs 1700 GBP yet I do like the Active Cruise Control with the Stop&Go Function as it helps in traffic...

so what would you choose?
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 12:54 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Driving assistant plus includes ACC
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2017, 02:42 AM   #3
Jim-Bow
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Driving assistant plus includes ACC
: this!

The hint is in the description ?This is facilitated by Active Cruise control with Stop&Go function, for example, which maintains a desired speed from 18mph, as well as controlling the distance to the vehicle ahead?

Very very jealous of your dilemma though! You?re going to have a great car!
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2017, 04:46 AM   #4
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
I have to say though, BMW has gone to some length to confuse customers, so they can charge more on all these options

I?ve specced Driving Assistant Plus in my order and looking forward to trying it out. I just don?t get the Driving Assistant package at all. Why not make it standard as you hardly get anything worthwhile given ACC comes standard. Marketers gone crazy
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2017, 07:04 AM   #5
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bow View Post
: this!

The hint is in the description ?This is facilitated by Active Cruise control with Stop&Go function, for example, which maintains a desired speed from 18mph, as well as controlling the distance to the vehicle ahead?

Very very jealous of your dilemma though! You?re going to have a great car!
Thanks Jim and AP.

Don't be jealous yet, I am far away from ordering but I like to plan things because without a plan, one would get no where...

I had just bought my 2018 M4 Convertible Competition Pack so I am planning to get rid of it in the next year and preparing my M5 order from now
LUX H8 189 Angel Eyes

2023 Nissan Z Performance (Ikazuchi Yellow)
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

very nice. I have a 540i x msport and very pleased with it.
I have the driving assistant plus and use the features it offers. in fact I actually think that the lane assist on motorways gets all the attention but I think the traffic jam assistant is actually the better function of the two. For those boring bits of driving when you are sat in traffic, it will drive for you.
With ACC and lane assist on it will follow the car in front even when there are no lane markings (must be using the stereo cameras instead) and not warning you about putting you hands on the wheel for what I believe is 30 seconds (from experience sounds right).
All very clever.
I can't imagine how powerful the M5 is going to be , I've only just passed 1200 miles today so gradually opening up the straight six and it's effortless and I'm not anywhere near close to it's potential! And the M5 has another ~260HP on tap!
Appreciate 0