BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Does my car have TPMS hardware?

05-09-2024, 06:07 PM   #1
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

Does my car have TPMS hardware?

My car comes with ABS tire pressure monitor. Ie my wheels don't have a TPMS sensor.

My question is, if i get a Autel MX Universal sensor, for new set of wheels, will my car be able to detect the TPMS? Or is it missing the detector hardware? How do i find out?

Regards
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 07:33 PM   #2
arkhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 540i

The remote control receiver is the same module for the TPMS. If your car has a remote then yes, it has the module, but most likely it will require coding to enable 2VB Tyre Pressure Indicator
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 07:45 PM   #3
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhi View Post
The remote control receiver is the same module for the TPMS. If your car has a remote then yes, it has the module, but most likely it will require coding to enable 2VB Tyre Pressure Indicator
thanks, remote control key FOB? yes i can walk near the door and unlock the car by pulling the door handle if that's what you mean?

(i have the tools to VO code things)
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 07:47 PM   #4
bym007
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Alpine White

I have added the TPMS sensorsto my 540i, when I replaced my tires earlier this year. I do need to add coding to the car VO I believe. But I am not sure how I can go about that yet.

So I will be watching this space for any tips.
2012 Acura TSX Luxi Navi in Albaster Metalllic
2005 530i in Olivine Green Metallic
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 07:50 PM   #5
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bym007 View Post
I have added the TPMS sensorsto my 540i, when I replaced my tires earlier this year. I do need to add coding to the car VO I believe. But I am not sure how I can go about that yet.

So I will be watching this space for any tips.
i bought protool by bimmergeeks

you can code literally anything on the car which makes me scared to use it lol

i've seen parameters on traction control limit allowance, torque converter pressure, adaptive suspension parameters

so the tool sits in my drawer - for use in absolute necessity only
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337495.00
      05-09-2024, 07:55 PM   #6
bym007
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30M View Post
you can code literally anything on the car which makes me scared to use it lol
With power comes responsibility!

Quote:
i bought protool by bimmergeeks
I do have BimmerCode and BimmerLink, although I was reading I cant write to VO (Vehicle Order) using them, and I believe I need a PC with proper software to alter the VO.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 10:42 PM   #7
arkhi
Private First Class
Rep

The VO code is just a descriptor of the options and feature your car has. In itself, it does nothing. You need to FDL code the car to actually change the settings (technically called variables in computer science) that will affect your car.

You can change the VO with a mobile app.

However, you also need to tell whatever software your using to change the car's FDL based on the VO.

If you know the specific FDL codes to change, you can simply use BimmerCode tto change them. (e g. on the F80 forum: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=72 MOST LIKELY NOT THE SAME AS G30!!)

Unfortunately, I don't know the FDL codes for the G30. So, if you have the tools, the easiest would be to VO code TPMS in and let the software recode the car using said VO.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 11:28 PM   #8
bym007
Private
Rep

Quote:
The VO code is just a descriptor of the options and feature your car has. In itself, it does nothing. You need to FDL code the car to actually change the settings (technically called variables in computer science) that will affect your car.

However, you also need to tell whatever software your using to change the car's FDL based on the VO.

If you know the specific FDL codes to change, you can simply use BimmerCode tto change them. (e g. on the F80 forum: https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=72 MOST LIKELY NOT THE SAME AS G30!!)

Unfortunately, I don't know the FDL codes for the G30. So, if you have the tools, the easiest would be to VO code TPMS in and let the software recode the car using said VO.
Thanks for an excellent breakdown and explanation. Is this possible with Bimmercode ?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 12:20 AM   #9
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

i see.

i think i'll leave the car as is, just using the ABS to figure out the tire inflation

thanks a lot.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 01:21 AM   #10
arkhi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bym007 View Post
Thanks for an excellent breakdown and explanation. Is this possible with Bimmercode ?
Only if you know which settings to change. Binmercode doesn't do VO.

Quote:
i see.

i think i'll leave the car as is, just using the ABS to figure out the tire inflation

thanks a lot.
If you have the LCI, you can VO code the car and just wait for an official OTA software update. The update reads the VO and re-codes the car as part of the update process. That would make things easier for you.
Appreciate 0