BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 M550 headliner access/removal tips

05-27-2022, 04:47 PM   #1
oztwix
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550

G30 M550 headliner access/removal tips

Hi,

Something got dropped from my sunroof, into my headliner. It sounds like it has slid all the way back. Any tips on getting access to the rear side of the headliner without destroying things?
I can't find any tips via search, so asking in this manner. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 05:12 PM   #2
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztwix View Post
Hi,

Something got dropped from my sunroof, into my headliner. It sounds like it has slid all the way back. Any tips on getting access to the rear side of the headliner without destroying things?
I would think there should not be any opening into the space above the headliner at all. Even with the sunroof opened. Are you under ext warranty or CPO ? I would let the Dealer figure this one out if so.

I could be wrong on some opening into the headliner, but it sure seems BMW would not allow any gaps.
      05-28-2022, 08:06 AM   #3
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

Only access point I can think of is to get that emergency call battery ... but yeah, this sounds like a dealer visit
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 10:42 AM   #4
raduron10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztwix View Post
Hi,

The headliner can be unclipped just by pulling it downwards.

First thing you have to do is to remove the handles above each door, there is a plastic cap that reveals a larger clip that has to be pushed. The other clips are not visible.

Also the 4 back and front pillar covers have to be removed before unclipping the headliner.

Lastly for the front part only the sun visors must be removed also.

All you need is a plastic pry tool and a flat head screwdriver.
Appreciate 1
Spyder364.50
      06-07-2022, 08:02 PM   #5
Ptree1822
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 18' G30 B58

Quote:
Originally Posted by raduron10 View Post
The headliner can be unclipped just by pulling it downwards.

First thing you have to do is to remove the handles above each door, there is a plastic cap that reveals a larger clip that has to be pushed. The other clips are not visible.

Also the 4 back and front pillar covers have to be removed before unclipping the headliner.

Lastly for the front part only the sun visors must be removed also.

All you need is a plastic pry tool and a flat head screwdriver.
what he said! and needle nose pliers might help with the grab handles coming out.. cover over tcb battery pulls down when putting back up secure the middle front tab first. rest of headliner has 2 clips in back but pull down and should be good after all out. and clips around sunroof can bee seen if your pry down and look in.
Appreciate 0