BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 5 Series Touring Hits the Ring

07-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #23
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Do not expect the G31 in North America. There is no market.
This is a self fulfilling prophecy that makse no sense to me. While BMW NA insists there is "no market" for upscale German wagons, MB sells all the E350 and E63AMG wagons they can. Where I live, E63 Estates are parked all over the place like common Camrys. If BMW NA doesn't bring the G31 to the States, of course no one will buy it. They cant! The US can only take so many SUV's and SAV's and GT's (omg).

I thought there was hope for BMW NA when the brought the F31 to the States. Then they ruined it by only offering XDrive automatic 328's. At least we got a diesel.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #24
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
I hope they bring that performance steering wheel to the production model!
      07-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #25
cs4444
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Are those CFRP wheels?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 07:56 PM   #26
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

So we should expect the G30 M5 variant around 2019...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #27
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

The F10 sold so much better than the E6*.
So expect a subtle design without to much fuzz.
The G3* will be a great car, as previous 5 have been, can't wait to see it.
And as for the engines goes, i'll take a I3 petrol please, the sound of the I8 was really impressive.

As for release, expect the G30 in 2017, and the G31 in 2018, BMW usually maintain a 7 year lifespan.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 02:18 AM   #28
keith.liu
Registered
Rep
Drives: m135

the instrument cluster just simply looks hideous like the base F30 and F20 models, with that pathetic little OB computer. Mercs and Audis have fantastic dash and big color displays in their instrument cluster even in small cars, why cant BMW do that? It just makes the interior look cheap.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #29
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
The standard car looks a little like this at the front , although with a more technical look on the front end. The headlights teased in recent concepts finally become a reality.
If they keep the same size - no usual 10cm growth between gen's - loose 150kg - 200kg (75 in the front axle) (but actually loosing the weight not saying that "compared to the previous gen with similar equip" but when it's on the scales it weight the same if not more)) improve the eps up to porsche standarts then the next M5 is going to be my next conti crusher. Somehow I think there is a better chance an honest politician beeing born than of that happening right scott?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #30
misterbeemer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92, E46 M3, E39 M5, 750Li

If the rendering of the front in that magazine is very close to the actual design as per Scott, then all I can say is it is ugly and bland. No aesthetics, but simple copy-paste, and if you want a better looking bumper, you have to opt for M-Sport, which may only make it look marginally better. Headlights joining the grill, pop up iDrive screen...sigh.

I have an E39 M5 and that car is a beauty that has aged so well. The current generation 5 series (pre-LCI) is also very nice but not as fun to drive for me, though I can't compare new plain vanilla 528xi with my old M5.

The front bumper cut outs in this rendering reminds me of the 2015 Hyundai Sonata or the 2015 Acura TLX bumper.

Sorry, but Mercedes has beaten you guys in the design department (except for some of their cars like the C, GLA and CLA interiors). I'll wait to see what the new E Class is going to be like.

And no wagon for US is sad. Sure, just get us the GT - that sells great here, no?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #31
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterbeemer
If the rendering of the front in that magazine is very close to the actual design as per Scott, then all I can say is it is ugly and bland. No aesthetics, but simple copy-paste, and if you want a better looking bumper, you have to opt for M-Sport, which may only make it look marginally better. Headlights joining the grill, pop up iDrive screen...sigh.

I have an E39 M5 and that car is a beauty that has aged so well. The current generation 5 series (pre-LCI) is also very nice but not as fun to drive for me, though I can't compare new plain vanilla 528xi with my old M5.

The front bumper cut outs in this rendering reminds me of the 2015 Hyundai Sonata or the 2015 Acura TLX bumper.

Sorry, but Mercedes has beaten you guys in the design department (except for some of their cars like the C, GLA and CLA interiors). I'll wait to see what the new E Class is going to be like.

And no wagon for US is sad. Sure, just get us the GT - that sells great here, no?
The E39. On ocasion I see a lci e39 msport silver driving around and man I think ,bar the classics, that is probably the bmw that aged the best. It still looks SO good today!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #32
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
GUYS! The instrument cluster you see in the pics is definitely not going to be the one on the final product, they must just be using an F30 cluster for the test mule since it must be all compatible with the components of the car. Do you really think they BMW is stupid enough to do that after releasing a 100% digital cluster.

On another note, I really think that BMW will have a tough time out designing the F10. From what I can see in the concept picture shown in a previous post, the change looks very minimal and seems like the hybrid between a redesign and a refresh. If the end product looks like that, I'll be holding on to my F10 for a while longer...
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #33
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Hahahaha no market for tourers I don't live in the states and I know that one is not true! The world does catch up now with things like the Internet and social networking, the USA does know what estate cars are.

It seems a weird world where BMW will build wrong wheel drive but not offer a body style in the richest country in the world... :
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #34
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Hahahaha no market for tourers I don't live in the states and I know that one is not true! The world does catch up now with things like the Internet and social networking, the USA does know what estate cars are.

It seems a weird world where BMW will build wrong wheel drive but not offer a body style in the richest country in the world... :
There's always a vocal minority in the US when it comes to tourers, but you have to assume that since BMW is fighting hard to retain it's sales lead - if there actually was a demand of any resonable size, they'd take more tourer variants over there - it would be a no-brainer... what other logical explanation is there? There simply can't be the demand....
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:14 AM   #35
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski
Quote:

There's always a vocal minority in the US when it comes to tourers, but you have to assume that since BMW is fighting hard to retain it's sales lead - if there actually was a demand of any resonable size, they'd take more tourer variants over there - it would be a no-brainer... what other logical explanation is there? There simply can't be the demand....
I see what you're saying, however how do you gauge actual demand if the product isn't there in the showrooms to be seen and tested? The statement there is no demand is counter factual, there clearly is some demand and it could easily grow, other manufacturers sell wagons. It's the same logic as saying 80% of 1 series drivers don't know their car is RWD, therefore it shouldn't be RWD. It's a nonsense repertoire, and IMO is to avoid having to reduce profit margins on some sales to allow customers what they actually want.

Just to share, I didn't know I liked and wanted dulce de leche ice cream until I came across it on a menu a few months back. Dulce de leche manufacturers could easily say there is no demand in the UK because it doesn't sell... I didn't even know it existed until then. Easy to justify as 'no demand'.

Finally if BMW is as 'premium' as it thinks it is, it should at least allow special orders. Everything else is optional except the body style you want.

Not sure if I like BMW tourers or dulce de leche more
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #36
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

For some reason I'm not hopeful about the interior, and I know this is not the final product.

And it's to bad there's no 5 series wagon in the US, like to see more modded wagons.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #37
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
I see what you're saying, however how do you gauge actual demand if the product isn't there in the showrooms to be seen and tested? The statement there is no demand is counter factual, there clearly is some demand and it could easily grow, other manufacturers sell wagons. It's the same logic as saying 80% of 1 series drivers don't know their car is RWD, therefore it shouldn't be RWD. It's a nonsense repertoire, and IMO is to avoid having to reduce profit margins on some sales to allow customers what they actually want.

Just to share, I didn't know I liked and wanted dulce de leche ice cream until I came across it on a menu a few months back. Dulce de leche manufacturers could easily say there is no demand in the UK because it doesn't sell... I didn't even know it existed until then. Easy to justify as 'no demand'.

Finally if BMW is as 'premium' as it thinks it is, it should at least allow special orders. Everything else is optional except the body style you want.

The 3er Touring is in North American showrooms yet remains outsold by the X3 and the X1 a car that is based on the Touring's predecessor.
Its an entirely different story in Europe and Germany in particular.
      07-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #38
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:

True enough, but I think it's telling that the BMW, Mercedes and Audi, will all have conducted market research and come to similarish conclusions. None of them really push tourers in the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #39
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
The 3er Touring is in North American showrooms yet remains outsold....
You speak as if self-imposed limitations on engine and drivetrain are not a factor. It is. When I bought my 2011 E91, I was put off by the fact I couldn't get it in 335i flavor... but at least I could get it RWD with a NA i6 that BMWs have always been known for. If I was ready to buy and faced with the options I have today, I would NOT opt for the wagon being limited to a 4 banger with performance further hindered by xDrive. No thanks... I want a SPORTY wagon!!!

OH, and let's not bring the F11 over b/c the E61 failed to sell... ignoring the fact the E61 was BUTT UGLY and the F11 was a beautiful redesign. I would certainly be driving one now if I had the chance!

It's great that we were given an additional engine option with the F31, but I am insulted that BMW thinks the only people who are interested in wagons would be satisfied with futzing around town behind a 4-pot diesel...
Appreciate 1
ppointer732.50
      07-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #40
clbmw
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:

The 3er Touring is in North American showrooms yet remains outsold by the X3 and the X1 a car that is based on the Touring's predecessor.
Its an entirely different story in Europe and Germany in particular.
I stand corrected I was under the impression there were no tourers.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #41
PostModernHero
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
The only *logical* explanation that I can see, is they really do not want to sell wagons in the NA market since it is the only internal direct competition to BMW SAVs... which are made in the states and thus prefer to sell as many of those as they can here, tariff free. Otherwise, it is simply asinine to offer the turbo i6 in the X1/X3 and not the 3er wagon...
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #42
bunker
BVARIAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModernHero View Post
The only *logical* explanation that I can see, is they really do not want to sell wagons in the NA market since it is the only internal direct competition to BMW SAVs... which are made in the states and thus prefer to sell as many of those as they can here, tariff free. Otherwise, it is simply asinine to offer the turbo i6 in the X1/X3 and not the 3er wagon...
THIS. 100%.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2020, 09:29 AM   #43
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunker View Post
and btw - screw u BMW for dicking us out of all the good wagons. I'm buying an E-Class AMG Wagon , or a new C-Class AMG Wagon if they release one, after I give my E91 to my kids. then I'll be done with the brand completely. well played.
Ditto, though I want to see the new RS6 Avant. Pricey but I'm strongly considering it.
Appreciate 0