BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Wireless charging tray

08-25-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i X M Sport

Wireless charging tray

I have an apple Xs phone and an Apple wireless battery case. I know both are comparable with wireless charging as I charge it nightly on a charging mat at home. My phone gets warm in the bmw charging try but I don’t see the charging percentage increasing. The lightning bolt does display when it’s in the tray.

I thought perhaps this was because I use the phone to talk , stream music or for Waze almost continually. But this Saturday I decided to just do some errands and not use it at all. I was only out 1/2 hour but didn’t increase or decrease and percentage.

Anyone else have this issue ?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsf721 View Post
I have an apple Xs phone and an Apple wireless battery case. I know both are comparable with wireless charging as I charge it nightly on a charging mat at home. My phone gets warm in the bmw charging try but I don’t see the charging percentage increasing. The lightning bolt does display when it’s in the tray.

I thought perhaps this was because I use the phone to talk , stream music or for Waze almost continually. But this Saturday I decided to just do some errands and not use it at all. I was only out 1/2 hour but didn’t increase or decrease and percentage.

Does your light go blue when you place the phone?

I've had one issue where it wouldn't charge for longer with light turning orange. BMW replaced the entire unit unit under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:

I wish I could help, but the visionaries at BMW designed the tray too small to easily fit a Galaxy S9+ or S10+. So, I can't use it!

Btw, they realized this and corrected the design on the newer G series cars. Maybe the G30 LCI will see a wider tray....
      08-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
CLABRO
THUNDER UP!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport G30

Garage List
I use it occasionally with my iPhone XS and it works for what it is, but it's quite a tight space and I don't even have a case on my phone.

It does get warm and others have complained about that.

With that said, it should be charging if you left it on there for 30 minutes and weren't using it.

G30 l Alpine White l M Sport Package l Executive Tier l Icon Adaptive Full LED Headlights l Mocha Nappa Leather l Multi-Contour Seats l Drivers Assistance Package l Drivers Assistance Plus Package l Dynamic Handling Package l Parking Assistance Package l Bowers & Wilkins Diamond Surround Sound System l M Sport Brakes l Apple Carplay
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
Sonny185
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e LCI

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
2024 X5 40i  [0.00]
The iPhone does get warm during the charging process. The BMW wireless charging tray is apparently a low watt charger. I too have not seen much increase in charging on short trips, BUT the phones doesn't reduce the battery either while on the tray. On longer trips it will change the battery but at a very slow rate, rarely doesn't it reach 100%.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

The blue light is on eternally. Even when the phone is not in place.

The charging lightening bolt is only displayed when it is in the try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADS-UK View Post

I've had one issue where it wouldn't charge for longer with light turning orange. BMW replaced the entire unit unit under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 04:48 PM   #7
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

I have an iPhone Xr, and my charging tray works perfectly, but the blue light is only on when the phone is in the tray. The phone may get slightly warm, but that is all. I use the phone, Pandora, etc all while it charges in the tray. Sounds like you may have a malfunction.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Muslenutz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw 540 2018

Low wattage charger. I have the iPhone XS max with the Apple case. I have friends that use the charger. They all get hot, stated in the manual that may occur as well. I believe the dual socket in front of it is 2.1 but I'm not sure if that was a add on or stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
ADS-UK
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
The blue light is on eternally. Even when the phone is not in place.

The charging lightening bolt is only displayed when it is in the try.

Quote:

Looks like your charger is faulty. It shouldn't have the blue light on permanently. Time to make a trip to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 07:55 PM   #10
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Called the dealer and they said stop in anytime
They will take a quick look and then order parts.

Quote:
Looks like your charger is faulty. It shouldn't have the blue light on permanently. Time to make a trip to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #11
jsf721
Captain
United_States
Rep

Fixed

Brought the car in today lunch time. Verified not charging. They basically unplugged it and plugged it back in and it’s working. It got stuck on and timed out. It was reset. Works fine now and if it happens again, they will replace.
Appreciate 0