BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding Aftermarket MMI Carplay/Android Auto Box?

12-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #1
rao60565
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

Aftermarket MMI Carplay/Android Auto Box?

Has anyone been successful in installing one of the MMI carplay/Android auto boxes in a G30?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

I have tried 2 in my 2018 M550i and it just doesn't work. All I get is "no signal" on the screen when the box is selected, all BMW functions work perfectly.

I have used boxes that were supposed to work with ID6. I have spent hours checking connections, settings, etc.. The only conclusion I can come to is either I am doing something wrong or these won't work in my car.

TIA for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 06:22 AM   #2
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rao60565 View Post
Has anyone been successful in installing one of the MMI carplay/Android auto boxes in a G30?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1675929

I have tried 2 in my 2018 M550i and it just doesn't work. All I get is "no signal" on the screen when the box is selected, all BMW functions work perfectly.

I have used boxes that were supposed to work with ID6. I have spent hours checking connections, settings, etc.. The only conclusion I can come to is either I am doing something wrong or these won't work in my car.

TIA for any suggestions.
Although I don't have any answers for you, I am curious about the product and what the motivation might be for installing one of these? Since CarPlay and Android Play are native to the G30, is the desire for this the ability to put anything on the screen you want to? For example, screen mirroring from an Apple device which is not currently supported?
      12-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
RonronEG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-BMW33 View Post
Although I don't have any answers for you, I am curious about the product and what the motivation might be for installing one of these? Since CarPlay and Android Play are native to the G30, is the desire for this the ability to put anything on the screen you want to? For example, screen mirroring from an Apple device which is not currently supported?
Android Auto wasnt available until 2020 models on the G30.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #4
I3LaZeN
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540i

My first experience with Android Auto in a 2021 Durango few weeks ago. It was definitely a great experience and I'm definitely interested in a way to have it in my 18' G30
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 05:02 PM   #5
Mrdooley
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540 M Sport

rao60565

Bringing this thread back up. I had previously had an MMI box in my 2014 Audi and loved it in order to get Android Auto. So when I purchased my 2019 540i, I was shocked it didn't have AA native, so started exploring a similar installation.

I bought the Wakaa unit ($300) and installed it without any issues. As I turned the system on prior to buttoning everything up, I couldn't get the audio/video to load from the unit in order to setup. It went in and out of the stock iDrive system just fine so I know it was hooked up properly. I did previously program the "Aux" setting as it's eluded to in the MMI Prime ($850) installation documents. However, I believe this is where the issue lies.

As I never found anybody that did this successfully, I chocked it up to faulty unit and I just sent it back. I'd love to hear from anybody that was able to get this kind of aftermarket MMI box installed and functioning - I'm not interested in the MMI Prime as it is technically the same box at $500 more. They won't give up any info on the coding of Aux unless I buy.

Any help?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 12:23 PM   #6
rao60565
Rep

I tried 3 different MMI boxes from 2 different manufacturers (at least the boxes were different colors ) and could not get any of them to work. On my 2018 with the B&W option the LCVD cable is not going to come out without removing the entire dash (it is taped to the center speaker cable and one other which I cannot identify.

I ultimately gave up. I even tried an iphone for a day which worked great, except for iphone part.

I tried 2 of the usb plug in boxes and those worked "better" but not very well.

I am still considering a complete android display replacement.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 09:08 PM   #7
Mrdooley
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I tried 3 different MMI boxes from 2 different manufacturers (at least the boxes were different colors ) and could not get any of them to work. On my 2018 with the B&W option the LCVD cable is not going to come out without removing the entire dash (it is taped to the center speaker cable and one other which I cannot identify.

I ultimately gave up. I even tried an iphone for a day which worked great, except for iphone part.

I tried 2 of the usb plug in boxes and those worked "better" but not very well.

I am still considering a complete android display replacement.
Oh man, sorry to hear that. Worse off than me!

Which USB boxes did you try?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 12:18 PM   #8
juliusedward
Private
India
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 2018

Garage List
2018 G30 520D  [8.00]
Just a few days back, i have successfully installed the RoadTop unit in my 2018 G30. Also coded the aux input using bimmercode. Everything works perfectly

One problem i faced was similar to Mrdooley . After powering it on, there was no display. I was able to go to iDrive screen just fine by pressing the menu button

Turns out the dip switches setting in the manual is not updated for G30
Contacted the customer care and they asked me to try 1-4 on and the rest off. This worked and everything setup automatically as expected

The unit was purchased from carprokit website and their support is very prompt and good.
Appreciate 2
540iSUP704.00
      05-23-2022, 04:52 PM   #9
rao60565
Rep

HOLY SH!T - That did it!!!

I've talked to so many people at all of the places that sell these things and no one suggested that combination of switches. I had even played around with the settings but since all of the info is not up to date, that combo didn't come up and I didn't try it randomly.

Such a simple thing!!!

Now I have to spend some separating the LVDS cable from the center speaker's cables and I should be able to do a final instll

THANK YOU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliusedward View Post
Just a few days back, i have successfully installed the RoadTop unit in my 2018 G30. Also coded the aux input using bimmercode. Everything works perfectly

One problem i faced was similar to @Mrdooley. After powering it on, there was no display. I was able to go to iDrive screen just fine by pressing the menu button

Turns out the dip switches setting in the manual is not updated for G30
Contacted the customer care and they asked me to try 1-4 on and the rest off. This worked and everything setup automatically as expected

The unit was purchased from carprokit website and their support is very prompt and good.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2022, 07:54 PM   #10
juliusedward
Private
India
Rep

Garage List
2018 G30 520D  [8.00]
Quote:
HOLY SH!T - That did it!!!

I've talked to so many people at all of the places that sell these things and no one suggested that combination of switches. I had even played around with the settings but since all of the info is not up to date, that combo didn't come up and I didn't try it randomly.

Such a simple thing!!!

Now I have to spend some separating the LVDS cable from the center speaker's cables and I should be able to do a final instll

THANK YOU!!!
Glad to be of help
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2022, 12:35 PM   #11
effinG
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series G30

Hi new to the forum having seen this post. Mine is branded DroidUK. Managed to install it today in test(hanging out the dashboard) and working perfectly after by pure chance tried dipswitch 1-4.

My issue now is the screen LVDS cable being too short to route the box under the passenger footwell. Tried reversing it so that the dark pink end (which normally attaches to the screen) goes into the head unit and the light pink end goes into the MMI box (normally attaches to rear of head unit) thinking this would give me some more cable to play with but it came up as 'no signal' when this way round. Totally confused. Is this cable single directional or something? Have looked to see if I can find an extender (with one end male and one end female but no joy). Will try removing the centre speaker and see if I can unwrap or maybe just buy another LVDS cable. Any advice welcome!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2022, 06:01 PM   #12
Mrdooley
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by effinG View Post
Hi new to the forum having seen this post. Mine is branded DroidUK. Managed to install it today in test(hanging out the dashboard) and working perfectly after by pure chance tried dipswitch 1-4.

My issue now is the screen LVDS cable being too short to route the box under the passenger footwell. Tried reversing it so that the dark pink end (which normally attaches to the screen) goes into the head unit and the light pink end goes into the MMI box (normally attaches to rear of head unit) thinking this would give me some more cable to play with but it came up as 'no signal' when this way round. Totally confused. Is this cable single directional or something? Have looked to see if I can find an extender (with one end male and one end female but no joy). Will try removing the centre speaker and see if I can unwrap or maybe just buy another LVDS cable. Any advice welcome!
Thanks for replying because I had not yet seen the fix above! I'm buying another unit and making sure dip switches are correct. I'm dying without Android Auto!

As for your issue, yes, I'm fairly certain the ends of the LVDS cables have to go where they say the go (no reversing). This was actually the troubleshooting the vendor told me to do - verify that the correct ends are in the right connector. Still didn't help me, but sounds like the dip switches will. I'd suggest buying a longer LVDS cable to fit in the footwell. I'll likely be doing the same because I also recall my unit had no chance of fitting behind the the HVAC controls.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 02:59 AM   #13
juliusedward
Private
India
Rep

Garage List
2018 G30 520D  [8.00]
effinG Mrdooley
The LVDS cable is not long enough to reach the passenger footwell. But I am able to install it in the glove box. The cable is just long enough to fit it there. I can post some pictures of my install if required
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 01:19 PM   #14
Mrdooley
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliusedward View Post
effinG Mrdooley
The LVDS cable is not long enough to reach the passenger footwell. But I am able to install it in the glove box. The cable is just long enough to fit it there. I can post some pictures of my install if required
juliusedward
Many thanks for answering the multiple PM questions, and for letting us know the cabe is long enough to fit it to glove box. I'll be installing next week!
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2022, 06:14 PM   #15
Mrdooley
United_States
Rep

I installed the Road Top unit in my 2019 540i today, took about an hour from start to finish (I've done the install previously on an Audi). The hardest part, getting the unit to fit inside behind the radio unit/housing. It was 100% a no-go until I placed it in the perfect position with not much more than 1/8" of wiggle room. I placed the unit straight in, level with the ground, with the widest part of the unit parallel to front bumper, with the connections all on the backside (closes to bumper). I tilted the front of the unit down towards the ground while pushing it back (towards front bumper) and the unit front slid down and the front tilted towards the ground. The unit was sitting at about a 45* angle. I put the radio in and much to my surprise, I was able to get the two screws to thread. I tightened down both (lots of pressure) and was able to get the front AC controls back on. So, the unit does fit in the beneath/behind the radio!

#s 1-4 dipswitches all set to on and the unit fired right up. Finished setup, and bam, Android Auto working. Note: there is no AUX cable that I needed to plug in. In fact, I didn't even use the USB connector because I didn't want any additional cabling behind cluttering the space.

I'm now enjoying wireless AA on Pixel 6 Pro!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-01-2022, 06:57 PM   #16
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdooley View Post
I installed the Road Top unit in my 2019 540i today, took about an hour from start to finish (I've done the install previously on an Audi). The hardest part, getting the unit to fit inside behind the radio unit/housing. It was 100% a no-go until I placed it in the perfect position with not much more than 1/8" of wiggle room. I placed the unit straight in, level with the ground, with the widest part of the unit parallel to front bumper, with the connections all on the backside (closes to bumper). I tilted the front of the unit down towards the ground while pushing it back (towards front bumper) and the unit front slid down and the front tilted towards the ground. The unit was sitting at about a 45* angle. I put the radio in and much to my surprise, I was able to get the two screws to thread. I tightened down both (lots of pressure) and was able to get the front AC controls back on. So, the unit does fit in the beneath/behind the radio!

#s 1-4 dipswitches all set to on and the unit fired right up. Finished setup, and bam, Android Auto working. Note: there is no AUX cable that I needed to plug in. In fact, I didn't even use the USB connector because I didn't want any additional cabling behind cluttering the space.

Excellent. How does the audio work if you didn't use AUX? How do you go into the system from idrive?
      08-01-2022, 08:09 PM   #17
Mrdooley
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_M550i View Post
Excellent. How does the audio work if you didn't use AUX? How do you go into the system from idrive?
My fault, I left that out. I coded Aux using bimmercode

BimmerCode -> Headunit -> Expert Mode -> 3000 HMI -> Search "aux" -> CDMM_AUX_SIMPLE_1 -> change from nicht_aktiv to aktiv -> SAVE -> backout and code

Courtesy of juliusedward

Also, long pressing Menu button goes in and out of idrive/the unit.

Last edited by Mrdooley; 08-01-2022 at 08:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2022, 05:49 AM   #18
juliusedward
Private
India
Rep

Garage List
2018 G30 520D  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdooley View Post

Great
I did not even think there is space to put the unit behind the radio. Thanks for sharing. Awesome that it worked well right away
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2022, 08:35 AM   #19
rao60565
Rep

Enjoying the MMI a lot but there remains one niggling problem - volume/gain.

It took me a while to figure out what was going on, but it appears that the volume or gain of the MMI box output changes all of the time.

Sometimes the output from Android Auto matches the volume of the other outputs and volume about half way up is pretty loud. Other times, the output from Android Auto is very low so that you need to turn the volume up to around half way just to hear it - this also causes buzzing like if you cranked up an old school reciever/amplifier all of the way with no source. Also in this state the difference between sources the volume difference is huge - the non aux sources are not affected so there volume is normal. There are not only 2 modes - normal and quiet, it is variable and somewhat additive so you can end up with the MMI volume being 20% less all the way up to I'd say almost 80% less.

I tried every setting I could find (the G30 does not have an aux volume setting, at least not one that I could find), looked at coding options related volume on BimmerCode and Carly - only thing I could find was the setting for "Resumed volume" which is tried at all settings.

It seems to happen more frequently when there is delay in the MMI box starting. I have taken to turning town the volume all of the way when I turn the car off which seems to work somewhat better. I've tried any setting on the phone that I could and nothing seems to make a difference.

Anyone else experience this?

Any ideas on what is happening or how to stop it?

I appreciate any ideas on this.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #20
rao60565
Rep

As an update to my post above I dug out the first MMI box that I had and installed it (a whole lot easier now that I have a box installed), and it does the EXACT SAME THING
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2022, 11:15 PM   #21
Mrdooley
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As an update to my post above I dug out the first MMI box that I had and installed it (a whole lot easier now that I have a box installed), and it does the EXACT SAME THING
Which unit are using? Maybe the dip switches are not right? I don't know why the volume would be different. Maybe try the settings in the unit, I know there are volume settings for various types of audio from the MMI unit. They shouldn't change though, so that's really weird.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 07:01 AM   #22
Sam_M550i
Lieutenant
Rep

Using the MMI product and having the audio go through AUX mean you give up steering wheel controls for audio track selections. You will not see map info on the HUD either. I also am trying to find a solution to get Android Auto on my ID6 G30 but I want to be able to have full functionality of track selections and a good audio source. I am not sure I am confident in AUX.
Appreciate 0