BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum G30 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, European Delivery Questions on a build/options

01-21-2023, 03:32 PM   #1
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i x

Questions on a build/options

Dealer said they can still order an M550i, so I am going that route since I have some time. I have some questions on options available. BMW website is not very helpful on explaining the difference options.

#1a. Does the Shadowline just provide gloss black grill/lights/accents/painted mirrors? I really like the silver contrast on my current M340, which looks like it would be the standard M Performance option. It seem 90% of the cars on the lots have the Shadowline.

#1b. Extended Shadowline $0 option. How is this different than above $500 option?

#2. 20" Wheels. In my experience BMW larger wheel options don't have enough cushion for Chicagoland roads. I was going to stick with 19" wheel setup to save some cost and have better ride. I will ditch the run flats for performance summer tires again.

#3. Does space saver spare reduce cargo capacity in the trunk?

#4. Are the Massaging seats worth $1K? Most of my driving is 30 minutes or less. I don't have them on any other car so I am not really missing something I never had before.

#6. Leather Dashboard. Is this another option worth $750? I am getting the Nappa seating.

#8. Dynamic Handling Package. I've searched on this and still can't figure it out. It seems people have different responses if it's on a 550 or 540. From what I gather, the DHP provides a softer on straight roads and helps parking in tight areas. I am not worried about ease of help parking since my other vehicles (M340 aside) are all longer and I never had an issue. My main worry is about Handling and Ride comfort. My M340 rides pretty poorly on Chicagoland roads. It has the fixed suspension since I couldn't find any with adaptive suspension. If the standard M550 rides softer than the M340 fixed suspension, then I think I would be OK. If it rides comparable, I think I would want the DHP.

Coming from an M340, I am worried the handling without it might be kind of sucky without it. However, I am not rally racing the car either. $3,600 is a lot of coin to spend if ride quality is only improved marginally.

On a lease, the DHP and Massaging seats add up to an additional $64/mo. Not exactly earth shattering, but with current MF rates, the price is already getting into the hard to justify range.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 08:25 PM   #2
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Garage List
cant comment on all point. but i would skip the massaging seats for sure. go with the 19s, the 20s bend very easily.
Appreciate 2
DNYC1919478.00
RoyB166.00
      01-21-2023, 09:07 PM   #3
NateM15
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

I can comment on all of this probably by the end of the week when mine gets here as its completely loaded with everything but the Alcantara headliner.

But the one thing I can tell you right now, get the spare kit. It is totally removable thus restoring the lost 8 inches of trunk space. The entire spare kit comes out and looks normal if it is out. It's just two modular sections. See this thread.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1570226&page=2

The cost for it upfront is way less if you then if you have to do it later. If there is ever a time that you want to leave the run flats behind, or do snow tires etc. You will need that spare.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2023, 09:15 PM   #4
DNYC1919
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540ix

Garage List
2021 540IX  [0.00]
Options add up $$ on these cars and I didn’t look at dhp probably due to that.
I have a 540 with 19s and it’s very comfortable with sport suspension. Probably more comfortable then m340.

But to my understanding the 550 sport suspension does change slighty in comfort and sport mode. So it could be an even more comfortable ride then the 540 and another cool benefit to the 550. But someone with a 550 would need to answer that better.

I see you mentioned the DHP could help parking ???? Not sure what you mean but the 360 cameras are so on point you will never hit anything or even scratch a rim.

I have spare tire and trunk space is greatly reduced. But for my current lifestyle it’s fine.

I don’t have the massinging seats just the ventilated ones with the nappa. Very comfy. I read some complaints about seats being a little harder due to the massaging hardware, so didn’t get those. But people that have them do love them from what I read as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 02:21 AM   #5
jcal65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550ix

For 2023, the $500 shadowline pkg adds black grill, M shadowline headlights (darker chrome strip at the top), black air vent accent behind front wheels, black mirror surrounds, black tailpipes and red brake calipers.

The standard no charge M performance pkg has blue brake calipers and the headlights have more of a visible chrome eyebrow strip, plus the gray cerium finished grill, vents and mirror surrounds. I believe the M550 still gets the black tailpipes as standard, not 100% sure. I personally prefer the M shadowline headlights.

BMW made the 2023 $0 extended shadowline option selection confusing. This option is included with the $500 shadowline pkg. It appears you can just get the black grill, black side vents for no charge without the $500 pkg., I think.

I can’t comment on the 19” wheels being better on rough roads on the current 5 series, but I will say that all the BMW’s I have owned with different wheels sizes have all required replacement tires due to being destroyed by potholes. For whatever reason, none of my other make vehicles have ever needed replacement tires due to damage. On my drive home after picking up my car from delivery, I destroyed my left front tire. Just 140 miles on the odometer and I hit an unavoidable pothole at 75 mph. It was the pothole or hit the vehicle next to me. $450 to replace the tire the next day. I have not had any issues since; although, I am very careful.

I got the 20” 668M wheels with non-run flat summer tires and love them. However, if you live in an area with cold winter climates, you will need to consider having a spare set of winter tires/wheels as the summer tires start to lose their grip under 50 degrees and it is noticeable. I have no complaints about the ride quality with the 20" wheels on non-run flats, it is very good and better than I expected.

You do lose trunk space height with the spare tire; however, the tire and foam pieces can easily be taken out in just minutes. Once removed the trunk space will be exactly the same as cars without the spare tire option. It was included with my 668M wheels non-run flat tire option, however, if I was getting run flats, I am not sure I would pay $250 extra for the spare.

Some people are obsessed with their dashboard. Personally, the only time I notice mine is when I wipe the dust off it. In the driver's seat, the center display blocks most of it and you are too busy driving to notice the finish materials. If the leather dashboard was $200, I would have gotten it. It is not worth $750 in my opinion. The sensatec dashboard is fine and no one (except some members on this forum) will notice it is not leather.

I had massage seats on my last 3 cars and rarely used this feature. The experience was underwhelming. I skipped this option on my M550i and don’t miss it.

Some people love DHP, some regret it. I didn’t order it on my car. If its any consolation, the M550 is still a great car without it.
Attached Images

01-22-2023, 11:33 AM   #6
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateM15 View Post
I can comment on all of this probably by the end of the week when mine gets here as its completely loaded with everything but the Alcantara headliner.

But the one thing I can tell you right now, get the spare kit. It is totally removable thus restoring the lost 8 inches of trunk space. The entire spare kit comes out and looks normal if it is out. It's just two modular sections. See this thread.

The cost for it upfront is way less if you then if you have to do it later. If there is ever a time that you want to leave the run flats behind, or do snow tires etc. You will need that spare.
Thanks for the info. $250 seems reasonable. That does take quite a bit away from the trunk space. For daily driving it probably doesn't matter much, but on road trips that would suck. We just did 2 weeks with the 3 series and it was packed the gills.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 11:39 AM   #7
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNYC1919 View Post
Options add up $$ on these cars and I didn’t look at dhp probably due to that.
I have a 540 with 19s and it’s very comfortable with sport suspension. Probably more comfortable then m340.

But to my understanding the 550 sport suspension does change slighty in comfort and sport mode. So it could be an even more comfortable ride then the 540 and another cool benefit to the 550. But someone with a 550 would need to answer that better.

I see you mentioned the DHP could help parking ???? Not sure what you mean but the 360 cameras are so on point you will never hit anything or even scratch a rim.

I have spare tire and trunk space is greatly reduced. But for my current lifestyle it’s fine.

I don’t have the massinging seats just the ventilated ones with the nappa. Very comfy. I read some complaints about seats being a little harder due to the massaging hardware, so didn’t get those. But people that have them do love them from what I read as well.
DHP has the rear steering. People say that helps parking because of the tighter turning radius. My other vehicles are longer. I have fit my 3500 Long bed crew cab in spaces people didn't think I could. Sometimes I get a round of applause from bystanders if I do it in a crowded tourist area. I don't care about the turning as much as the suspension being more compliant over bad roads.

Harder seats would not be good. I had an X3M and those seats were tight and hard. My M340 is pretty hard to sit for long periods because they are pretty stiff as well.
Appreciate 1
DNYC1919478.00
      01-22-2023, 12:13 PM   #8
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcal65 View Post
For 2023, the $500 shadowline pkg adds black grill, M shadowline headlights (darker chrome strip at the top), black air vent accent behind front wheels, black mirror surrounds, black tailpipes and red brake calipers.

The standard no charge M performance pkg has blue brake calipers and the headlights have more of a visible chrome eyebrow strip, plus the gray cerium finished grill, vents and mirror surrounds. I believe the M550 still gets the black tailpipes as standard, not 100% sure. I personally prefer the M shadowline headlights.

BMW made the 2023 $0 extended shadowline option selection confusing. This option is included with the $500 shadowline pkg. It appears you can just get the black grill, black side vents for no charge without the $500 pkg., I think.

I can’t comment on the 19” wheels being better on rough roads on the current 5 series, but I will say that all the BMW’s I have owned with different wheels sizes have all required replacement tires due to being destroyed by potholes. For whatever reason, none of my other make vehicles have ever needed replacement tires due to damage. On my drive home after picking up my car from delivery, I destroyed my left front tire. Just 140 miles on the odometer and I hit an unavoidable pothole at 75 mph. It was the pothole or hit the vehicle next to me. $450 to replace the tire the next day. I have not had any issues since; although, I am very careful.

I got the 20” 668M wheels with non-run flat summer tires and love them. However, if you live in an area with cold winter climates, you will need to consider having a spare set of winter tires/wheels as the summer tires start to lose their grip under 50 degrees and it is noticeable. I have no complaints about the ride quality with the 20" wheels on non-run flats, it is very good and better than I expected.

You do lose trunk space height with the spare tire; however, the tire and foam pieces can easily be taken out in just minutes. Once removed the trunk space will be exactly the same as cars without the spare tire option. It was included with my 668M wheels non-run flat tire option, however, if I was getting run flats, I am not sure I would pay $250 extra for the spare.

Some people are obsessed with their dashboard. Personally, the only time I notice mine is when I wipe the dust off it. In the driver's seat, the center display blocks most of it and you are too busy driving to notice the finish materials. If the leather dashboard was $200, I would have gotten it. It is not worth $750 in my opinion. The sensatec dashboard is fine and no one (except some members on this forum) will notice it is not leather.

I had massage seats on my last 3 cars and rarely used this feature. The experience was underwhelming. I skipped this option on my M550i and don’t miss it.

Some people love DHP, some regret it. I didn’t order it on my car. If its any consolation, the M550 is still a great car without it.
Thanks for the post. Sounds like we think pretty similarly. Looking closer at the Shadowline I think you are correct. It looks like the $500 option vs $0 option changes the lights and caliper color. I think the red calipers are a bit flashy for my taste. The gloss black is a little too sporty for the look I am going for as well. I chose it on my Ram because everything was Chrome otherwise. I think the silver on the BMW looks pretty slick in contrast with the Gray paint. It's too bad you can't choose the lights by themselves.

I absolutely love the 668M wheels. Especially coupled with the silver accents. Just afraid of not having enough sidewall for these streets. I run 18" snows now with the M340 and dedicated non-runflat summer tires on the factory 19" rims. I would run snow tires regardless of wheel choice on the M550. I don't have a spare now. I carry a plug kit and an inflator. The summer tires I went a little wider than OEM to protect the rim from curbing as well as to get a little more sidewall. 235 width instead of 225 was pretty substantial. Plus it filled the wheel well a lot nicer. Looks like the 550 has 245s so going into 255s should have the same affect.

I think the Dash on my M340 looks fine. I paid to upgrade on my wifes Durango because it was night and day difference over the base model.

It looks like they took the kick to open trunk away. That's one of my favorite features on the M340

Looks like I am down to Wheel size and DHP to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 03:51 PM   #9
jcal65
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
It looks like they took the kick to open trunk away. That's one of my favorite features on the M340
To my knowledge, the standard features that started missing on the M550 due to availability in 2022 were the kick to open trunk, digital key, Wi-Fi hotspot and wireless phone charging. I was not expecting any of these but got the kick to open trunk and digital key. I've seen M550's built after my car get the hotspot and wireless charging. I’m not sure the status now, but it still seems to be luck of the draw on the assembly line.
      01-23-2023, 12:59 PM   #10
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Quote:

Or, buy the spare and sell it for profit. I wouldn't but you could.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 07:40 PM   #11
NateM15
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

^^^^ That too. 🤣
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 06:52 AM   #12
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G30 B58 View Post
Or, buy the spare and sell it for profit. I wouldn't but you could.
Quote:
^^^^ That too. 🤣
If it's a lease, I assume you have to return it with the same parts it came with?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2023, 02:50 PM   #13
Greywall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M550i

Garage List
2023 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
Dealer said they can still order an M550i, so I am going that route since I have some time. I have some questions on options available. BMW website is not very helpful on explaining the difference options.

#1a. Does the Shadowline just provide gloss black grill/lights/accents/painted mirrors? I really like the silver contrast on my current M340, which looks like it would be the standard M Performance option. It seem 90% of the cars on the lots have the Shadowline.

#1b. Extended Shadowline $0 option. How is this different than above $500 option?

#2. 20" Wheels. In my experience BMW larger wheel options don't have enough cushion for Chicagoland roads. I was going to stick with 19" wheel setup to save some cost and have better ride. I will ditch the run flats for performance summer tires again.

#3. Does space saver spare reduce cargo capacity in the trunk?

#4. Are the Massaging seats worth $1K? Most of my driving is 30 minutes or less. I don't have them on any other car so I am not really missing something I never had before.

#6. Leather Dashboard. Is this another option worth $750? I am getting the Nappa seating.

#8. Dynamic Handling Package. I've searched on this and still can't figure it out. It seems people have different responses if it's on a 550 or 540. From what I gather, the DHP provides a softer on straight roads and helps parking in tight areas. I am not worried about ease of help parking since my other vehicles (M340 aside) are all longer and I never had an issue. My main worry is about Handling and Ride comfort. My M340 rides pretty poorly on Chicagoland roads. It has the fixed suspension since I couldn't find any with adaptive suspension. If the standard M550 rides softer than the M340 fixed suspension, then I think I would be OK. If it rides comparable, I think I would want the DHP.

Coming from an M340, I am worried the handling without it might be kind of sucky without it. However, I am not rally racing the car either. $3,600 is a lot of coin to spend if ride quality is only improved marginally.

On a lease, the DHP and Massaging seats add up to an additional $64/mo. Not exactly earth shattering, but with current MF rates, the price is already getting into the hard to justify range.
#1a/b. Check out this thread for an explanation of the options and their difference:

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1958801

#2. I wanted 20" wheels but considering DC area roads, ended up changing to 19's. Alternatively you can go with 20's and get wheel/tire coverage. Now I wish I had done that.

#3. Yep, I skipped it. Considering that most run-flat issues require a replacement, that wheel/tire coverage starts to look like a more attractive option.

#4. Nope, of all the options I got this is the most disappointing. The massaging action is way too soft to be useful.

#6 (no 5?). I got both Nappa and leather... it's sooo nice to have both. Love it.

#8 (where's 7?). Biggest win about DHP is tighter turning radius and smoother highway manners. Also the dynamic sway bars really help keep the car flat in turns. I think the M550 is designed with DHP in mind to keep that heavy frontend in check and maintain a somewhat nimble posture. How much it succeeds is best determined by your butt-dyno by test driving samples with and without the option. Personally, I originally didn't order it but after a lot of searching and reading decided to add it sight unseen. So far, no regrets!

Good luck!
Appreciate 0