BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 Park Assist as good as F10? Is mine just broken?

04-20-2024, 07:01 PM   #1
DaWhole9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i, 1976 BMW 2002

G30 Park Assist as good as F10? Is mine just broken?

I have an appointment to take the car back to the dealer this week. I have had the car a few weeks now and everything seems amazing, except the park assist. I turn it on and it RARELY sees an available space to park. maybe 1 out of 10 times. I spent a few hours the other day and I could only get it to self park maybe twice out of maybe 20 attempts. This was the parallel parking mode. Even the places it saw a parking place minutes before, it didnt recognize one later. It was just so random. I have NEVER been able to get it to attempt a perpendicular self parking maneuver. On my F10 535i, the system was stupid easy and reliable. It was so good it was a must have option for me when shopping for a new car. Is the G30 park assist as reliable as the F10? Is mine just broken?

Last edited by DaWhole9; 04-21-2024 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 08:55 PM   #2
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
What MY do you have? I ask as I only have experience with the MY2020 pre-LCI Park Assist feature. It was tweaked in the LCI so it may function differently.

That said, the ability for the feature to find a space for parallel parking is dependent on distance to the "front" parallel car you pull up alongside to initiate a parallel parking maneuver. If you're too close or too far when aligned next to this car it won't see the spot. As it is using that distance to gauge its ability to make the "S" maneuver to get into the spot. Since it uses that distance to try and get its base "S" curve you can get into tighter spots by aligning with more space between that "front" car than normal. As that allows a more extreme turn angle for the car to plot its course. I've used this to get the car to automatically park in a spot with about a foot in front and behind the car. Was pretty impressed!

Also be sure the car is clean as the sensors can be thrown off otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 09:08 PM   #3
DaWhole9
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
What MY do you have? I ask as I only have experience with the MY2020 pre-LCI Park Assist feature. It was tweaked in the LCI so it may function differently.

That said, the ability for the feature to find a space for parallel parking is dependent on distance to the "front" parallel car you pull up alongside to initiate a parallel parking maneuver. If you're too close or too far when aligned next to this car it won't see the spot. As it is using that distance to gauge its ability to make the "S" maneuver to get into the spot. Since it uses that distance to try and get its base "S" curve you can get into tighter spots by aligning with more space between that "front" car than normal. As that allows a more extreme turn angle for the car to plot its course. I've used this to get the car to automatically park in a spot with about a foot in front and behind the car. Was pretty impressed!

Also be sure the car is clean as the sensors can be thrown off otherwise.

I have a 2018 M550i. I have tried to be closer and further away...honestly...it feels like the passenger side distance is not being seen, and the drivers side is as sometimes it feels like its seeing the spaces on the opposite side of the street. Car is spotless. Just bought it from BMW a few weeks ago and never could get it to work. I have an appointment for them to go over things. Just trying everything I can think of to make sure it's not user error. I have watched multiple videos on it and mine just doesn't see parking spaces.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 09:22 PM   #4
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWhole9 View Post
I have a 2018 M550i. I have tried to be closer and further away...honestly...it feels like the passenger side distance is not being seen, and the drivers side is as sometimes it feels like its seeing the spaces on the opposite side of the street. Car is spotless. Just bought it from BMW a few weeks ago and never could get it to work. I have an appointment for them to go over things. Just trying everything I can think of to make sure it's not user error. I have watched multiple videos on it and mine just doesn't see parking spaces.
Sounds like you're on the right path as our system is the same. A bumper replacement or work could have impacted the sensors as the car only uses the sensors for parking and doesn't use the cameras at all.

The dealership should be able to isolate and correct it quickly.
Appreciate 1
Gautam619.50
      04-20-2024, 10:02 PM   #5
Gautam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M550

Garage List
2018 BMW M550i  [0.00]
Pre-LCI G30 park assist is pretty solid. The only spots I've tended to have trouble having it detect are ones that I probably wouldn't be able to park in manually anyways. If I have the cameras on while driving through a parking lot or down a street with parallel spots, it usually beeps constantly picking them up.

I had no idea it was an option on the F10...way ahead of its time there.
      04-20-2024, 10:10 PM   #6
DaWhole9
Private First Class
Rep

awesome. Thanks for the responses. Yeah my F10 535i was a super loaded 2016. Cooled seats, 20" wheels, pretty much EVERY option. The M550i has everything except cooled seats. I can live without that...I gained CarPlay, Dynamic Handling Package, full leather, Alcantara headliner, heated steering wheel, as well as 2 more cylinders and 1 more Turbocharger...lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
Yeah, it only did parallel parking, not perpendicular, but was super fast and solid.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 01:02 PM   #7
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam View Post
Pre-LCI G30 park assist is pretty solid. The only spots I've tended to have trouble having it detect are ones that I probably wouldn't be able to park in manually anyways. If I have the cameras on while driving through a parking lot or down a street with parallel spots, it usually beeps constantly picking them up.

I really should do this. I never use that feature because I'm pretty fast at parallel parking myself, but I'd like to use it to see how it works and if it works well maybe even start using it all the time.

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 09:37 PM   #8
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

i had never tried my PAP in my 2019 540xi. However, I recently have been trying to get it to work just for fun and it never spots ANY parking spots in a parking lot. The Park assist box checked off, with parking assist activated (shows cameras and sensors detecting other objects).

I have tried driving slow and close, further away, drivers and passenger side. After 3-4 parking lots and several attempts to get the system to find a spot. Zero success.

I dont have any codes or errors or damage to the car whatsoever. Just doesnt find a spot!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 09:48 PM   #9
DaWhole9
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post
i had never tried my PAP in my 2019 540xi. However, I recently have been trying to get it to work just for fun and it never spots ANY parking spots in a parking lot. The Park assist box checked off, with parking assist activated (shows cameras and sensors detecting other objects).

I have tried driving slow and close, further away, drivers and passenger side. After 3-4 parking lots and several attempts to get the system to find a spot. Zero success.

I dont have any codes or errors or damage to the car whatsoever. Just doesnt find a spot!
Sounds similar to how mine is working. Since I just purchased mine, I am going to exhaust all my options while it still has a warranty. Thats not normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 10:50 AM   #10
kmac1980
Major
Rep

Good luck, at least you're under warranty. Keep us posted if you find out what was the issue? I foolishly never tried this feature under warranty LOL...

Quote:
Sounds similar to how mine is working. Since I just purchased mine, I am going to exhaust all my options while it still has a warranty. Thats not normal.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 08:12 PM   #11
DaWhole9
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post
Good luck, at least you're under warranty. Keep us posted if you find out what was the issue? I foolishly never tried this feature under warranty LOL...
Im hoping it's as simple as a software update or system reboot or something like that. My sensors seem to be working just fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 01:30 AM   #12
DaWhole9
Private First Class
Rep

Got. the car back from the dealer today. They replaced 2 tires, fixed a bad belt tensioner and with regards to the finnicky part assist, they discovered a crack in the windshield right where the front camera is. There was a fault in the system regarding that. So the dealer will call me tomorrow to schedule a windshield replacement. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.
Appreciate 1
Joe-BMW337401.00
      05-01-2024, 03:42 PM   #13
kmac1980
Major
Rep

Quote:
Got. the car back from the dealer today. They replaced 2 tires, fixed a bad belt tensioner and with regards to the finnicky part assist, they discovered a crack in the windshield right where the front camera is. There was a fault in the system regarding that. So the dealer will call me tomorrow to schedule a windshield replacement. Hopefully that will resolve the problem.
glass damage would definitely do it...
Appreciate 0