BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW says self-driving car to be level 5 capable by 2021

03-17-2017, 10:09 PM   #45
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Fun topic here!

There isn't a system out there that can't be hijacked/hacked. All this tech is networked in some manner. How can that threat be contained? Can it be contained? Cars make great weapons.
Appreciate 1
IB M2771.50
      03-17-2017, 10:28 PM   #46
MalibuBimmer
Founder, Knights of the Roundel website
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 and 2018 AMG GT

Garage List
2018 Mercedes AMG GT  [0.00]
2018 Audi Q3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Fun topic here!

There isn't a system out there that can't be hijacked/hacked. All this tech is networked in some manner. How can that threat be contained? Can it be contained? Cars make great weapons.
No, this tech is vehicle-autonomous, too. Sensors within the vehicle see everything. Well, almost everything. They're still having problems recognizing bicycles.
Previously: 2014 i8; 2013 650i convertible; 2013 650i Gran Coupe; 2013 X1; 2010 550i GT; 2010 535 GT; 2010 Z4 3.5; 2008 535ixt; 2007 M6 convertible; 2006 650i convertible; 1996 Z3; 1980 633CSi; 1978 630CS; 1972 3.0CS; 1971 Bavaria. (1971; 1979-2005 & 2017 - ? -- the Mercedes years.)
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 11:26 PM   #47
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosozoku View Post
I wonder how many people will be killed by Uber self-driving cars by 2021.
Good luck with that, Travis.
A lot less than the thousands of people killed due to drunk driving in 2016. Do you actually believe this will lead to more vehicular related deaths?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 04:11 AM   #48
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangquadcam View Post
AHA!

I've been so distraught, dismayed, dazed and confused.

Now I understand it!

Many of us (and most of the automotive press too) have wondered and whined and wrung our hands about why BMW seemed to have lost its way on steering and steering feel.

But wait. It now becomes CLEAR! Now we know their Machiavellian plan:

No one will actually need to steer their cars by 2021, so why bother designing cars that have steering systems that give any useful feedback or feel to their drivers. Just eliminate drivers! If no one has their hands on the wheel, we don't need to have responsive and predictable steering in our BMWs!

The Ultimate Computer Driving Machines!

Thrilling.....
Well as long as BMW don't use it as reason to go back to the old phrase 'would like a steering wheel with that?'
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 04:58 AM   #49
kevinlevrone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Autonomous tech is the future. The systems are able to help avoid accidents and take the stress off of the driver.
When I drive, I feel joy, not stress.
Appreciate 3
      03-18-2017, 05:02 AM   #50
kevinlevrone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

It's clear to me that humans will not be allowed to drive on public roads for much longer. 20-25 years from now I can forsee the end of human driving (except on racetracks).
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 07:58 AM   #51
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlevrone View Post
It's clear to me that humans will not be allowed to drive on public roads for much longer. 20-25 years from now I can forsee the end of human driving (except on racetracks).
Humans will not be allowed?? Whom is going to take this freedom away; Aliens? :
      03-18-2017, 08:38 AM   #52
Fake News 2017
HMFIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M4 ZCP

BFD...don't care
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 08:53 AM   #53
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

This is the end of fun as car enthusiasts know it....sad times indeed
Assuming cars become regulated to be fully automated.
Im thinking go kart tracks will be getting more popular.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #54
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest 535i View Post
But I do also see a day when the differentiation between brands is going to be more difficult with this technology.
That day is generations away. Even level 5 defines a narrow scope of capability compared to human judgement. There will be new levels and definitions for "full autonomy". Differentiation becomes much easier when comparing thousands of edge-case handling abilities. Big difference between strategic vs merely tactical decision making capability. For decades, it'll be an "AI arms race" to have the smartest cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #55
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Initially when these become common on the road, and before self driving is illegal, there will be a period of time where it will be so easy to cut off and blow by every autonomous vehicle programmed to go the speed limit and leave a safe gap. I can not wait to exploit this opportunity to the fullest.

The Autonomous vehicles need to stay the F out of the left lane.
I had the same thought.. at a 4 way stop and the other 3 cars are autonomous? well, guess I can just run that stop sign then...
Appreciate 1
IB M2771.50
      03-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #56
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hassmaschine View Post
I had the same thought.. at a 4 way stop and the other 3 cars are autonomous? well, guess I can just run that stop sign then...
That makes no sense. That's one situation where you dont have to be a genius to know the rules. The other cars have your behavior recorded (and plate).
Appreciate 1
lawgone63.50
      03-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #57
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

That's not the point. You could easily rely on the autonomous cars taking the "safe" choice - so cutting them off and forcing your way through would be easy. They're going to stop because they are programmed to.

Whether they are recorded or not is irrelevant. Knowing the rules IS the point however - the autonomous cars always have to follow them. It would be easily exploited.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #58
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
That's not the point. You could easily rely on the autonomous cars taking the "safe" choice - so cutting them off and forcing your way through would be easy. They're going to stop because they are programmed to.

Whether they are recorded or not is irrelevant. Knowing the rules IS the point however - the autonomous cars always have to follow them. It would be easily exploited.
They could alternatively video record your erratic driving and box you in until authorities could deal with you.
Appreciate 1
lawgone63.50
      03-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #59
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB M View Post
Initially when these become common on the road, and before self driving is illegal, there will be a period of time where it will be so easy to cut off and blow by every autonomous vehicle programmed to go the speed limit and leave a safe gap. I can not wait to exploit this opportunity to the fullest.

The Autonomous vehicles need to stay the F out of the left lane.
I'd love to drive in a way that trolls the autonomous cars lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 12:26 PM   #60
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Quote:
German carmaker BMW is on track to deliver a self-driving car by 2021, the company's senior vice president for Autonomous Driving, Elmar Frickenstein, said on Thursday.

"We are on the way to deliver a car in 2021 with level 3, 4 and 5," Frickenstein told a panel discussion in Berlin, explaining the vehicle will have different levels of autonomy, depending on how and where it is used.

A level 5 vehicle is capable of navigating roads without any driver input, while a level 3 car still needs a steering wheel and a driver who can take over if the car encounters a problem.

In July last year, BMW announced a partnership with Intel and Mobileye to develop self-driving by around 2021.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-bm...-idUSKBN16N1Y2

Quote:
The automaker has teamed with Intel and Mobileye to bring autonomous technology to market.
BMW has confirmed plans to launch a fully autonomous vehicle by 2021.

The company already announced plans to co-develop an autonomous drive system with Intel and Mobileye. The latest announcement clarifies that it will be a Level 5 system, representing the top echelon.

SAE defines Level 5 as capable of performing all driving tasks under all roadway and environmental conditions. Such vehicles have been conceptualized as mobile lounges, where the driver can kick back and watch a movie or chat with passengers -- with no need to monitor the road or remain ready to take the wheel in an instant if the autonomous system encounters a problem.

"We are on the way to deliver a car in 2021 with level 3, 4 and 5," said BMW's senior VP of autonomous driving, Elmar Frickenstein, as quoted by Reuters.

The comment suggests the vehicle will be equipped with human controls and will allow drivers to choose the level of autonomy for any given driving scenario.

The announcement follows Intel's move to acquire Mobileye for $15 billion. The chip maker views the autonomous vehicle market as a $70 billion opportunity in for vehicle systems and data services by 2030.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-prom...#ixzz4bYNhojwz
And, in a related announcement, BMW plans to have the defective and recalled airbags from the 2013 Customer Shrapnel Campaign ready to ship as replacements by 2022.
Appreciate 1
M2PDX2928.50
      03-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #61
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Your assumption is completely invalid and naive. Autonomous cars will drive just as agressively as people, except with better reaction time. They absolutely *must* do this in order to drive safely! This necessity has been long recognized area of research. Watch Mobileye's talks on the subject.
Appreciate 1
lawgone63.50
      03-18-2017, 01:49 PM   #62
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep

ok - so if I pull in front of an Autonomous car, it's going to just hit me? Does an Autonomous car get angry?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #63
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
ok - so if I pull in front of an Autonomous car, it's going to just hit me? Does an Autonomous car get angry?
Um, the point of an autonomous car is for it to stop...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2017, 02:28 PM   #64
jeremyr4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '13 E93 M3

The Bigger Picture

I think most people here are missing the bigger picture. Currently the average car is only used 3% of the time, as it sits parked for the other 97%. That is a huge waste of an asset. Eventually BMW and others will offer some type of service where you can use their fleet to pick you up, drop you off, and then it will move on to the next person so that each car is used 90% of the time instead of 3%! Only enthusiasts and the wealthy will own cars, as most will consider them a waste of money and won't want to drive. Most people won't own cars in the future and a LOT less will be produced due to the 90% utilization. Big changes ahead...
      03-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #65
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
I have yet to understand the slightest modicum of why I'd ever want this. Or, assuming I did, why I'd decide to buy a BMW vs. a Cuisinart or a Maytag when it's nothing more than merely an appliance.
Well something like this would never replace my M for fun driving - but I would absolutely buy this. You're not buying a driving experience anymore though (to your point). You're buying a mobile productivity/privacy pod. So I'll be looking for a space allows me to sleep, work or maybe watch a movie while it moves me from point A to point B.

Bring it on - I would love that.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 1
Finnegan701.00
      03-18-2017, 07:24 PM   #66
STK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyr4 View Post
I think most people here are missing the bigger picture. Currently the average car is only used 3% of the time, as it sits parked for the other 97%. That is a huge waste of an asset. Eventually BMW and others will offer some type of service where you can use their fleet to pick you up, drop you off, and then it will move on to the next person so that each car is used 90% of the time instead of 3%! Only enthusiasts and the wealthy will own cars, as most will consider them a waste of money and won't want to drive. Most people won't own cars in the future and a LOT less will be produced due to the 90% utilization. Big changes ahead...
Further, the number of brands and variety will plummet. Who really cares about what car picks them up? There will be compact, mid-size, and luxury with the option to ride alone or pick someone up along the way. It will be like getting pick up at the airport in a Town Car or a Prius.

There will probably be an intermediate period were individuals will own a car with manual or autonomous option. But once autonomous cars reach a critical mass, manual mode driving will be against the law as too dangerous. About 30,000 people a year die in auto accidents now. That will end. The folks on this tread we'll take an autonomous car to the track where our manual cars will be in storage ready to go. And that's where it's the most fun to drive anyway. But i think it will take considerably longer than 5 years.

btw -the 3,000,000 people that drive for a living will lose their jobs.

Interesting times indeed.
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c784.00