BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Spied: Next Gen 2017 BMW 5 Series (G30 generation) Already Out Testing

07-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #45
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

IMO the reasoning for this is the 5 is built as a family Sedan with styling at the forefront of proportionality rather than utility. The E Class is the opposite as I can first hand attest that it makes MUCH better use of its space, but comes at less styling-first proportionality.

The 5er is large, but a lot of that space is due to the super long long hood and beefed out sheetmetal, and the way the doors are cut is meant to give it a more slung back look. With more knee room they would have had to elongate the rear doors which could have sacrificed a less sport profile.

The front seats of the E Class feel like you're sitting in a large living room, while the 5's cocoons you more. In my E, my head wouldn't even reach the B Pillar, while in my 5, my head is literally aligned with the B Pillar. Again, the 5's proportions I feel are "large" more for styling purposes (and because it's on the 7 Series platform) and then the functionality is more merely a compliment to the styling. The E Class for example is the other way around.

As a guy with no kids or back seat often rides, I feel this is a benefit as I wanted something with some utility and size, but not "sacrificed" to be a perfect people hauler. My E Class always felt so well thought out as a people hauler, while my 5 feels more utility-sacrificed for the sake of styling and sportier interior seating positions. For others who expect a large car to give large utility, I can understand the beef.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 05:44 AM   #46
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

K-A: yes your analysis is spot on.
I just wishes that BMW managed to combine the bmw styling with the mercedes space. Then it would be a "killer" 5-series.
BTW, the latest E-class facelift (W213) takes some steps towards this.

But I would like to remain a BMW driver in combination with a family guy...
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #47
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

True and I definitely understand where you're coming from, but I guess it basically comes down to laws of physics, hehe. I'm not a fan of the E Class facelift myself, especially how uncharacteristically about-face changed the body panels got for people (and C&D who just said so) to call it a "W213" (it's actually still a W212), but it is actually identically proportioned to the "old" one therefore is still using a function-first/styling second mentality.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #48
Gator_Bimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i M Sport

One thing I and others have noticed (in the US models at least) is how much more rear leg room is taken when the front Multi Contour seats are selected vs. the standard front seats. The Multi Contours are a very nice upgrade it seems but they are so much thicker that they seem to really make the rear seat utility much less. I'm interested to see if the multi-contour fronts for the 2014 LCI are a bit thinner in terms of taking from rear seat room. They look a bit different in the LCI photos and I believe I saw they went to 20-way. But it would be nice if they made the multi contours have the same/similar thickness as the standards fronts. I guess we'll see soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #49
GLiNTCH
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrycubed View Post
if it has a front end that resembles the current 3 series.... its gonna look like crap IMO.

I absolutely hate the new 3 series front, especially the headlights.
It's ok on the 3 but I dispise the new X5 and hope they do something fun for the X4 which should be a more fun family car when it's time to trade out of the 528.

Seen what MB did - all of their cars now look a like in their ENTIRE lineup, plain.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #50
Mojizel
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 2014 535i Luxury Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberrycubed View Post
if it has a front end that resembles the current 3 series.... its gonna look like crap IMO.

I absolutely hate the new 3 series front, especially the headlights.
+1
+2
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 06:03 PM   #51
cascade
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
IMO the reasoning for this is the 5 is built as a family Sedan with styling at the forefront of proportionality rather than utility. The E Class is the opposite as I can first hand attest that it makes MUCH better use of its space, but comes at less styling-first proportionality.

The 5er is large, but a lot of that space is due to the super long long hood and beefed out sheetmetal, and the way the doors are cut is meant to give it a more slung back look. With more knee room they would have had to elongate the rear doors which could have sacrificed a less sport profile.

The front seats of the E Class feel like you're sitting in a large living room, while the 5's cocoons you more. In my E, my head wouldn't even reach the B Pillar, while in my 5, my head is literally aligned with the B Pillar. Again, the 5's proportions I feel are "large" more for styling purposes (and because it's on the 7 Series platform) and then the functionality is more merely a compliment to the styling. The E Class for example is the other way around.

As a guy with no kids or back seat often rides, I feel this is a benefit as I wanted something with some utility and size, but not "sacrificed" to be a perfect people hauler. My E Class always felt so well thought out as a people hauler, while my 5 feels more utility-sacrificed for the sake of styling and sportier interior seating positions. For others who expect a large car to give large utility, I can understand the beef.
Having traded in a 2011 Mercedes-Benz e350 Sport for a new 535i M sport, last year, I agree with you.

I'd note also, that the interior's super spaciousness and larger trunk capacity of the Mercedes-Benz e-klasse, might be one of the reasons why the e -klasse is the preferred default choice for German taxicabs.

In Germany 2 years ago, I did not see even ONE BMW 5er taxi, but w212 Mercedes-Benzes were everywhere, even some that were over 15 years old (w124 klasse).

Jim
Appreciate 0