BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 540i Comfort Access Issues

06-07-2018, 02:17 PM   #23
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis3 View Post
UPDATE: My car is in the BMW shop and I just got a call from the tech saying that my tints could possibly be the issue because they can't reproduce the problem. So after having my car for 7 months all a sudden the key has come susceptible to the dark tint?! I'm confused. And they can't offer any other sort of tests or solutions that will fix the problem.
I can see how that could possibly be an issue with opening the door but I don't see how a tint can impact on starting the car when you are inside. That sounds like total BS.
I really don't know what to do from here... My tints are Ceramic so they are the same tints that BMW would put on the car. They can't even reproduce it so I hate when I hear them mention it as a "maybe"... I am going to speak to the head tech to see if he can take it home or something. I'm tired of this happening on my 2017 540i... one year old.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #24
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
I really don't know what to do from here... My tints are Ceramic so they are the same tints that BMW would put on the car. They can't even reproduce it so I hate when I hear them mention it as a "maybe"... I am going to speak to the head tech to see if he can take it home or something. I'm tired of this happening on my 2017 540i... one year old.
I have a ceramic nano tint and absolutely no problem with comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 06:31 PM   #25
TopgearLA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Med Blue 530e M Sport

Quote:
I’d ask for replacement keys at this point to verify if windows down makes no difference. How’s it work from the connected app?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #26
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

I would request new keys too.

Because of stories like this I am steering clear from tinted windows this time around...

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:25 PM   #27
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post

Because of stories like this I am steering clear from tinted windows this time around...
Good luck in Florida with no tint.

But the concern over tinting interfering with signals is why I made sure to purchase a nano tint. I also had it done through my dealership (I know I paid extra that way) in order to make sure that there would be no problems and, if there were, that the dealership would then have to take care of it.

So far...no problems.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 01:27 PM   #28
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post

Good luck in Florida with no tint.

But the concern over tinting interfering with signals is why I made sure to purchase a nano tint. I also had it done through my dealership (I know I paid extra that way) in order to make sure that there would be no problems and, if there were, that the dealership would then have to take care of it.

So far...no problems.
All my recent cars have had tints. So far so good with this one without.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 04:25 PM   #29
Short540
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Garage List
2019 BMW X50i  [0.00]
Had the same issue. Bmw had to replace one if the keys.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #30
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopgearLA View Post
Quote:
I’d ask for replacement keys at this point to verify if windows down makes no difference. How’s it work from the connected app?
I requested a new key and was told a new key can not be given to me if they can't reproduce the issue. so.. after they called me I sent more videos and pictures of me unable to get in my car. they haven't called me back since Thursday of last week.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #31
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short540 View Post
Had the same issue. Bmw had to replace one if the keys.
It sucks that I requested a new key and they said no... They are trying to reproduce the problem. Which they haven't been able to do at three different BMWs. I contacted BMW of North America. They are going to "escalate my issue"
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #32
Short540
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 50i

Garage List
2019 BMW X50i  [0.00]
They must not want to give out keys. Because both of my keys did the same thing and they only replaced one of them.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #33
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Did you ask them to try it in front of you?
Or did it happened when you were at the dealership?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:27 AM   #34
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Does this CA issue happen anywhere or only in certain locations? If only in certain locations, you might be dealing with a strong radio transmitter causing interference. TV and Radio station towers can cause this type of issue.

if happens anywhere, read on...

Stealership likely doesn't want to replace key because bmwna asks for warranty parts to be returned. There have been cases where NA rejects returns parts and charges back dealer.

Talk to shop foreman, or service manager. Ask them to open a Puma case. If they're unwilling to help, find another dealer. If that's not an option, ask for an appointment with the field service rep. In many major markets the rep visits dealers 2x per month.

Tint would not be of any concern for the issue of key not detected when sitting inside car and trying to start it. The CA antenna that looks for the key is inside the car, I believe near the steering column. So, tint has nothing to do with this specific key detection issue.

You likely have a bad keybob, bad module, or maybe your istep level needs upgrading. the G30 has had it's fair share of software bugs.
      06-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #35
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Short540 View Post
They must not want to give out keys. Because both of my keys did the same thing and they only replaced one of them.
I would be ok with ONE key being replaced since both are doing this.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #36
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
they have tried it in front of me and it works fine... That is why I started recording when it happened. every time I stepped into a dealership it worked with no issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #37
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Does this CA issue happen anywhere or only in certain locations? If only in certain locations, you might be dealing with a strong radio transmitter causing interference. TV and Radio station towers can cause this type of issue.

if happens anywhere, read on...

Stealership likely doesn't want to replace key because bmwna asks for warranty parts to be returned. There have been cases where NA rejects returns parts and charges back dealer.

Talk to shop foreman, or service manager. Ask them to open a Puma case. If they're unwilling to help, find another dealer. If that's not an option, ask for an appointment with the field service rep. In many major markets the rep visits dealers 2x per month.

Tint would not be of any concern for the issue of key not detected when sitting inside car and trying to start it. The CA antenna that looks for the key is inside the car, I believe near the steering column. So, tint has nothing to do with this specific key detection issue.

You likely have a bad keybob, bad module, or maybe your istep level needs upgrading. the G30 has had it's fair share of software bugs.
It happens anywhere. Since I told them I wouldn't accept that the tints are the issue. I haven't heard back from them. My car has been in there for about 6 days now. I plan on calling tomorrow if I don't hear anything today.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #38
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
they have tried it in front of me and it works fine... That is why I started recording when it happened. every time I stepped into a dealership it worked with no issue.
Hmm, wouldn't blame them in this case since they can't replicate it everytime the car at the dealership.

Is there anything different on what they did when they replicate it in front of you?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #39
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

I am not mad that they can't replicate it. My issue only comes when they blame tints or act like there is no issue. It is all good though. I got a call from BMW USA today. They escalated my issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 08:05 AM   #40
mdavis3
Private
United_States
Rep

Update: Probably my last... I haven't heard any news from BMW for 4 days until I called and they said "We haven't forgot about you". They still can't reproduce the issue. so I'm just going to get my car today. Through the 4 days I periodically checked my Connected app. Looking at the remote view the car has been sitting in the same exact spot at the end of the parking deck for those 4 days.

I opened a ticket with BMW of North America. A rep called me and is looking into the issue further to see what they can do. They said if it can't be reproduced or not it is unacceptable that you are experiencing this. I'm done going to dealership for now.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 03:44 PM   #41
badass335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i Xdrive

Quote:
Update: Probably my last... I haven't heard any news from BMW for 4 days until I called and they said "We haven't forgot about you". They still can't reproduce the issue. so I'm just going to get my car today. Through the 4 days I periodically checked my Connected app. Looking at the remote view the car has been sitting in the same exact spot at the end of the parking deck for those 4 days.

I opened a ticket with BMW of North America. A rep called me and is looking into the issue further to see what they can do. They said if it can't be reproduced or not it is unacceptable that you are experiencing this. I'm done going to dealership for now.
Was this actually resolved? I have the exact same issue. Car is in the shop and they are basically blaming the tint. It worked fine for 7 months. Both keys doing the same thing and both remote batteries were replaced. This is insane...
Appreciate 0