BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Pre LCI G31 infotainment upgrade

05-02-2024, 05:16 AM   #1
sorin1987
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i G31 MSport

Pre LCI G31 infotainment upgrade

This is somewhat unusual I suspect, but my situation is as follows:
I own a 70 reg G31 (first registered in the UK late 2020/early 2021). The car is pre-LCI with the 10.5 nav screen but has the digital screen behind the steering wheel and has the version 7 of the operating system, which I understand should support Android Auto. I called BMW and asked why my car doesn't support Android and only Apple CarPlay and if they can upgrade the software to include that since I already have iDrive 7. They said they do not offer Android Auto for cars that have the smaller size nav screen and only for the LCI one, I think it's 12".
My questions are, how difficult would it be to upgrade the sat nav screen with the larger one from the LCI model? Has anyone tried to do that? Would there be foreseable issues if I do this?
It's likely BMW would not offer me the upgrade with Android but maybe I can get it from a 3rd party (I am thinking the app doesn't render properly on a smaller screen?).

I had to switch to an iphone to be able to have proper connection in my car and I absolutely hate it, it is so inferior to my previous Samsung (in my opinion) but I do enjoy using the google maps and spotify integration and all the extra connectivity offered between the phone and car.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 05:43 AM   #2
Edi
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

The 12.3" display is plug & play for you because you have the iD7 lite system.

See this for reference:

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1787522
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 07:35 AM   #3
jimscamp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 540i xDrive

Hmmm - this is odd.

Mine is a 2020 (July) G31 and I have Android Auto listed in the car menus.

I don't have an android, but I see the option for it when setting up devices in the car and its in the apps section too.

From what I understood the "Smartphone Integration" package that allows for Carplay, always included Android too?

Unless some weird COVID stuff happened with some of the later builds that year?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 07:59 AM   #4
sorin1987
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimscamp View Post
Hmmm - this is odd.

Mine is a 2020 (July) G31 and I have Android Auto listed in the car menus.

I don't have an android, but I see the option for it when setting up devices in the car and its in the apps section too.

From what I understood the "Smartphone Integration" package that allows for Carplay, always included Android too?

Unless some weird COVID stuff happened with some of the later builds that year?
I see in your signature that you have the 540i model, which I believe might have benefitted from an early upgrade in software version. May I ask what infotainment display you have? is it the 12.3" one or the smaller one? BMW sales team confirmed to me on the phone that I cannot get an Android Auto version due to the display size only, though I have the proper software version. I am not sure if there are rendering issues that they couldn't be bothered to solve.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 09:28 AM   #5
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
MY2020 iDrive 7 "lite" cars support Android Auto and CarPlay, but require a dealership installed update to get it since lite cars don't support Remote Software Updates.

Getting the dealership to install the latest software will automatically enable Android Auto.

The larger screen can be installed as shared earlier, but it sounds like you're only interested in it to "unlock" Android Auto. Which it isn't needed for.

The dealership will want to charge for updating the car's software. You could get it covered by other means while the car was under warranty, but it sounds like your car is out of warranty so they may charge something for performing the service.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1738695

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1849320
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 12:49 PM   #6
jimscamp
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G31 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorin1987 View Post
I see in your signature that you have the 540i model, which I believe might have benefitted from an early upgrade in software version. May I ask what infotainment display you have? is it the 12.3" one or the smaller one? BMW sales team confirmed to me on the phone that I cannot get an Android Auto version due to the display size only, though I have the proper software version. I am not sure if there are rendering issues that they couldn't be bothered to solve.
I’m pretty sure it’s the normal size for the pre-LCI as I’ve been in the LCI and noticed the bezel edges were slightly thinner in the newer car… which makes me think it was slightly bigger?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 04:14 AM   #7
sorin1987
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
MY2020 iDrive 7 "lite" cars support Android Auto and CarPlay, but require a dealership installed update to get it since lite cars don't support Remote Software Updates.

Getting the dealership to install the latest software will automatically enable Android Auto.

The larger screen can be installed as shared earlier, but it sounds like you're only interested in it to "unlock" Android Auto. Which it isn't needed for.

The dealership will want to charge for updating the car's software. You could get it covered by other means while the car was under warranty, but it sounds like your car is out of warranty so they may charge something for performing the service.

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1738695

https://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1849320
That would be great if they could do that, even though I have called previously and someone I was directed to said they do not offer updates with Android Auto to any car that doesn't have the large screen. But I think she was from the Sales departement and was not that knowleadgeable. I contacted the closest BMW dealearship and they said someone who knows more will contact me in 48hrs. I will update this thread in case anyone else will be interested in the future.
Appreciate 0