BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis 2018 M550i with DHP H&R or MSS lowering Springs?

05-08-2024, 02:40 PM   #1
DaWhole9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i, 1976 BMW 2002

2018 M550i with DHP H&R or MSS lowering Springs?

I have a 2018 M550i with the Dynamic Handling Package. Looking to eliminate the fender gap. I like the drop of the H&R. The MSS is pretty close. So visually, they are similar. I like the ride of my car. It's smooth and comfortable...so I dont wanna make it that much worse. I have heard H&R can be harsh and that MSS feels like stock. Then I read others say the H&R feels just like stock. Im imagining there is some variability on which G30 people have...530, 540, or 550 and whether they have xDrive or not as well as the dampers they have, standard or dynamic. I would bet all that makes a difference...so thats why I am asking here specifically, M550i with DHP...will I feel a huge difference between H&R and MSS? I dont wanna spend $1k on H&R (springs, install and alignment) and then hate the ride so much I spend another $2k+ (springs, install and alignment) to swap to MSS...but if I won't feel a huge difference, then why spend the extra money. its more than double for MSS. That money can go to other mods, or buy a warranty outright...welcoming any and all thoughts!

Here is a pic for reference...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 11:36 AM   #2
tjbuggy2b
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i xDrive M Sport

Having just installed MSS, I can tell you the right is extremely close to stock. In fact, the tech that installed them commented on how surprised he was at how close to stock it felt.

IMO, it's ever so slightly softer in the first 10% (although, that could be the fact that I replaced my struts at the same time), and then progresses to a firmer feel as you go beyond that. So, the every day bumps are absorbed incredibly well.
Appreciate 0