BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 540i xDrive 2020 Base vs 2017 Fully loaded

05-02-2024, 06:53 PM   #1
Mr.Estrit
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i

540i xDrive 2020 Base vs 2017 Fully loaded

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the community and seeking some advice.

I've narrowed it down to two options: a 2017 model with 42k miles fully optioned with Nappa leather and a 2020 base model with 51k miles in my desired color and Dakota leather. Both are priced at $28k, which seems a bit steep for 2017 in my opinion.

If you were in my shoes, which would you go for and why? Would you prioritize the fully optioned 2017 or opt for the newer 2020 model with fewer features?

Looking forward to hearing your insights!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2024, 09:01 PM   #2
DaWhole9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M550i, 1976 BMW 2002

There are certain features that I cannot live without. So for me, I would rather have the car that have the features versus one a few years newer. If you think the pricing on the 2017 is out of line, then find another 2017 that’s well option. That’s a little bit cheaper.there may be a significant difference in how the car drives and feels depending on what options you were talking about. For example, if one is an M sport and the other one is not to me that’s a dealbreaker. Then does one have 19 or 20 inch wheels and the other have 18? They are going to drive differently. So without driving them it’s hard to make a choice, I would drive them both. The seats might actually be different and feel different and one might feel better than the other to you. For example, I have a 2018 M550, my car was in the shop and they gave me a base 530 loaner that is a 2023. I couldn’t get out of that 2023 fast enough. The seats were completely different and my 2018 runs and rides so much better than a 2023 base.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2024, 09:54 PM   #3
Mr.Estrit
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWhole9 View Post
There are certain features that I cannot live without. So for me, I would rather have the car that have the features versus one a few years newer. If you think the pricing on the 2017 is out of line, then find another 2017 that’s well option. That’s a little bit cheaper.there may be a significant difference in how the car drives and feels depending on what options you were talking about. For example, if one is an M sport and the other one is not to me that’s a dealbreaker. Then does one have 19 or 20 inch wheels and the other have 18? They are going to drive differently. So without driving them it’s hard to make a choice, I would drive them both. The seats might actually be different and feel different and one might feel better than the other to you. For example, I have a 2018 M550, my car was in the shop and they gave me a base 530 loaner that is a 2023. I couldn’t get out of that 2023 fast enough. The seats were completely different and my 2018 runs and rides so much better than a 2023 base.

That’s exactly my concern. The 2017 has the luxury seating package with the Nappa leather so I know when it comes to comfort it has the 2020 beat as it’s the base with the only real advantage being the year and the sound system. I will be test driving the 2020 next week but I have no real way of test driving the 2017 as it’s out of state (250+ miles) which is what makes the decision a little more difficult.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2024, 04:53 PM   #4
Neusser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G31 540i xDrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Estrit View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the community and seeking some advice.

I've narrowed it down to two options: a 2017 model with 42k miles fully optioned with Nappa leather and a 2020 base model with 51k miles in my desired color and Dakota leather. Both are priced at $28k, which seems a bit steep for 2017 in my opinion.

If you were in my shoes, which would you go for and why? Would you prioritize the fully optioned 2017 or opt for the newer 2020 model with fewer features?

Looking forward to hearing your insights!
I almost always go for lower mileage if the difference is near 10k.

That said, I also spec cars with the drive in mind, so the base would be more appealing in that respect. Daktoa leather is quite nice; base upholstery over here is Alcantara (which I also would have been happy with).

A proper engine, HK, M-pack (with brakes, sus, and wider wheels) and the normal parking package would be must-haves for me. The rest I can live without, and most of it is ghey or it will break.

I'd gladly strip half of my options out, though I am a sucker for the rear sunshades.
Appreciate 0