BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions First Drive 520d MSport

02-07-2017, 06:39 AM   #1
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G30 530d M Sport Med Blue

First Drive 520d MSport

Had a chance to take a quick spin in the above. Impressions?

- Obviously different in power to my 530D but still useful for probably 90% of requirements; the 4 pot engine did intrude if pushed but overall pretty refined
- It did feel somewhat lighter (but then the 520D engine would be lighter than a 530d) and felt pretty planted to the road (on 19s) with not much disturbance even over less than perfect surfaces. It didn;t have VDC or any of the other drive enhancements so representative of what most people will buy.
- The cognac leather interior confirmed to me that this is what I would spec - with carbon black or med blue - the pseudo leather dash definitely lifts it compared to the F10
- not only is the control to adjust temperature of airflow to the face removed from the dash to iDrive as commented on elsewhere, but so is seat heating ccontrol (although it can be programmed to turn on when a set external temperature is reached) - both retrograde moves in my opinion
- didn't have time to fully explore but there appear to be a lot more user defined options in the car settings section, but I guess like me, most people will set once and forget about the majority of them.
- wasn't a fan of the protruding screen but it kinda grows on you, and does make the dashboard less imposing
- the quality of the switches etc seemed fine to me. lighter to the touch than the F10 but nonetheless solid feeling
- the new HUD display is bigger in area with fancier graphics but otherwise, so what?
- Still had the camouflage fitted (even on the BMW badge in the centre of the steering wheel!!) so hard to get an overall visual impression of the exterior

I'd have to have an extended drive in a 530d to make an "apples for apples" comparison but overall an evolutionary upgrade in my opinion. no bad thing really but I'm not sure there was any wow factor for an existing 5 series driver. The interior will probably be attractive to those considering an A6 or E Class as it gets to that level
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 07:05 AM   #2
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

I too had a drive yesterday albeit it the 530d, like you i also have the f10 530d, driving the g30 compared to the f10 was a night and day difference in my view, though i found the interior quality a let down over the f10, the new one just didn't feel as teutonic as the f10.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #3
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

I agree with you, a progressive move and I am coming from a 520d!
And just like you the wow factor I got when moving from the e60 to the F10 is simply no around this time, maybe down to 5 year older.
BMW design and looks always grow on me, so I be over the way it looks eventually, but this time around I am not sure with the what I am being offered for my F10 trading, even with the 4k discount, maybe time to venture into other series or brands, a 2nd hand GC 6, or a new face lift Grand coupe 4 series new, I hear in this forum the quality is on the up with the facelift, or maybe wait for the new 3 series due in couple of years, since the value of F10 now 5 years old is not going to change a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #4
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
I agree with you, a progressive move and I am coming from a 520d!
And just like you the wow factor I got when moving from the e60 to the F10 is simply no around this time, maybe down to 5 year older.
BMW design and looks always grow on me, so I be over the way it looks eventually, but this time around I am not sure with the what I am being offered for my F10 trading, even with the 4k discount, maybe time to venture into other series or brands, a 2nd hand GC 6, or a new face lift Grand coupe 4 series new, I hear in this forum the quality is on the up with the facelift, or maybe wait for the new 3 series due in couple of years, since the value of F10 now 5 years old is not going to change a lot.
Martinmustang, totally agree, I am not prepared to compromise on trade in value just to get into the new model (and with a lot less toys than I currently have just to try and make the numbers work); some of the values being offered by dealers are frankly insulting. Also, the €4k contribution might help somebody moving from one 520d to another, but once you go up the value chain to a 530d, then the gap widens hugely. As I said in another post, BMW sales in Ireland in January were down 45% compared to last year and that is across the board on very model except the 1 series (which is a small seller relatively anyway). I'd like to support local jobs etc but am quite prepared to wait and pick up a nearly new UK model later for a substantial discount.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMY View Post

- Obviously different in power to my 530D but still useful for probably 90% of requirements; the 4 pot engine did intrude if pushed but overall pretty refined
- It did feel somewhat lighter (but then the 520D engine would be lighter than a 530d) and felt pretty planted to the road (on 19s) with not much disturbance even over less than perfect surfaces. It didn;t have VDC or any of the other drive enhancements so representative of what most people will buy.
- The cognac leather interior confirmed to me that this is what I would spec - with carbon black or med blue - the pseudo leather dash definitely lifts it compared to the F10
- not only is the control to adjust temperature of airflow to the face removed from the dash to iDrive as commented on elsewhere, but so is seat heating ccontrol (although it can be programmed to turn on when a set external temperature is reached) - both retrograde moves in my opinion
- didn't have time to fully explore but there appear to be a lot more user defined options in the car settings section, but I guess like me, most people will set once and forget about the majority of them.
- wasn't a fan of the protruding screen but it kinda grows on you, and does make the dashboard less imposing
- the quality of the switches etc seemed fine to me. lighter to the touch than the F10 but nonetheless solid feeling
- the new HUD display is bigger in area with fancier graphics but otherwise, so what?
- Still had the camouflage fitted (even on the BMW badge in the centre of the steering wheel!!) so hard to get an overall visual impression of the exterior

I'd have to have an extended drive in a 530d to make an "apples for apples" comparison but overall an evolutionary upgrade in my opinion. no bad thing really but I'm not sure there was any wow factor for an existing 5 series driver. The interior will probably be attractive to those considering an A6 or E Class as it gets to that level
Thanks for sharing, quick question - in my F11 530d I use the paddles all the time that I am not in a city or on a motorway which is a lot. Did the G30 520d have the paddles and if so were the gear shifts ok ? Reason for the question is the 530's have sport auto and 520's auto 'with paddles' which I understand shifts slower.....
Keen to know what this translates into in real life as my company lease scheme is looking like forcing me into a four pot for the first time in 20 years of Bimmer ownership.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Bandiano, the model I drove had paddles but don't know if they are standard or not (though I think they are part of the Sports Automatic Transmission). The paddles themselves were a lot lighter (flimsier even) than on the F10 but to be honest as I rarely use them myself, this was not a feature I tried so sorry, no help to you.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 09:57 AM   #7
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMY View Post

Are the seat heating buttons not on the climate control panel? How was the overall refinement level - road, wind noise?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I have a keen interest in knowing how the syeering felt compared to F10 , especially weighting.
yes if seat heating is now in the idrive , I see that as a backward step.
(surely these are basic ergonomics?)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
Are the seat heating buttons not on the climate control panel? How was the overall refinement level - road, wind noise?
Didn't have too much time to play with iDrive so maybe it can customised to have a specific tile dedicated to climate which would short cut and allow things like seat heating to be accessed via simple touch controls, maybe others can check when they get a chance.

With the caveat of it being a 10 minute drive and with a lesser engine than my F10, I thought the overall refinement, ride quality and quietness was superior.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #10
Mariuss
Private First Class
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2020 530ex

Seat heating control hidden in the menu? Was this the standard 2-zone climate control or the extended 4-zone with the colour display and virtual buttons?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #11
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
I have a keen interest in knowing how the syeering felt compared to F10 , especially weighting.
yes if seat heating is now in the idrive , I see that as a backward step.
(surely these are basic ergonomics?)
As in the post above, with caveat of it being a short spin and in a lighter engine, I found it more nimble at lower speeds but it seemed to tighten up nicely as speed increased; overall I would rate it an improvement, although I cannot express it in engineering terms. You may have read that they brought journalists on test runs before Christmas with techies complete with laptops calibrating the steering feel on the fly and given criticism of the feel on the F10 you'd have to expect that a better feel was designed in purposely. If Porsche can do it with their now electric systems, then Munich surely can figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariuss View Post
Seat heating control hidden in the menu? Was this the standard 2-zone climate control or the extended 4-zone with the colour display and virtual buttons?
Sorry, didn't pay any attention to that. Maybe I'll compile a list of everybody's questions and go back and find out (but as I told the stealer I wouldn't be doing any deal based on their pricing they might smell a rat!!)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #13
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
The seat heating is at it's normal place.

4-zone climate control.

2-zone climate control.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |

Last edited by remmib; 02-07-2017 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #14
andrew520d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x5 25d

Nice write up.
Did the dealer indicate if they have many ordered already?
Considering the terrible trade in deals that seem to be on offer and the fact that at first look the car doesn't appear to be a huge leap I'm wondering if it may be a bit slower than BMW anticipated.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:09 PM   #15
Shakespere
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: Bmw G30 530D xdrive

Exhaust sounds...

I have heard the exhaust sounds of the g30 540i and was wondering how does it sound on a 530D. would anyone comment or post a vdo... that would be great..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:18 PM   #16
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew520d View Post
Nice write up.
Considering the terrible trade in deals that seem to be on offer and the fact that at first look the car doesn't appear to be a huge leap I'm wondering if it may be a bit slower than BMW anticipated.
Dealers are very coy about how many they're selling but I sense they are struggling. They may get corporate or lease plan rollovers but it's hard to see how the average punter can justify the type of trade up values being sought. I know a few people who have walked away and I imagine that's pretty representative. BMW Uk finance is already down to 3.9% versus 8.4% here so that's an additional factor. Mercedes sold over 600 E Classes in Ireland in January alone, up from just 60 last year. I was offered 35k off a near new 7 series. I'm just €1500 off a price I'd be willing to go with, having somewhat reduced my expectations and have made the argument that the contribution might just about work going from 520 to 520 but not for the higher end of the range, so I'll see what tomorrow brings and if no deal go away and do something useful with my life! I like to support Irish business and jobs when I can by my patriotism has financial limits!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #17
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Nice write up.
Dealers are very coy about how many they're selling but I sense they are struggling. They may get corporate or lease plan rollovers but it's hard to see how the average punter can justify the type of trade up values being sought. I know a few people who have walked away and I imagine that's pretty representative. BMW Uk finance is already down to 3.9% versus 8.4% here so that's an additional factor. Mercedes sold over 600 E Classes in Ireland in January alone, up from just 60 last year. I was offered 35k off a near new 7 series. I'm just €1500 off a price I'd be willing to go with, having somewhat reduced my expectations and have made the argument that the contribution might just about work going from 520 to 520 but not for the higher end of the range, so I'll see what tomorrow brings and if no deal go away and do something useful with my life! I like to support Irish business and jobs when I can by my patriotism has financial limits!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #18
andrew520d
Private First Class
Rep

Is that a deal on 7 or 5 series you're 1500 euro away from?
The 7 seems to be a car that needs heavy discounting?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 02:02 PM   #19
MMY
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Is that a deal on 7 or 5 series you're 1500 euro away from?
The 7 seems to be a car that needs heavy discounting?
On a 530d MSport...but even if I achieve that, I'm not 100% convinced that I'm just letting the emotion of getting into a new model overrule logic!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 04:01 PM   #20
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Dealers here are quoting April / May delivery, seems things have gone buzzark given the new car tax rules coming in April 1st, so anything with a list of over £40k = £500 per year road tax.
Anyone gone from the 530d f10 to a 430/5d, I'm contemplating this though again the drop in quality is an issue, never driven the 4 series 6 pots so views welcome
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 02:42 AM   #21
andrew520d
Private First Class
Rep

A review in today's Irish times is not particularly complimentary of the new 5.
Criticism of the steering feel and the ride. Saying it doesn't feel like it's moved on much and as if BMW have held back a bit with it.
Overall though still 4/5.

I have a feeling it you wait even a little better deals are going to have to come.
This is not going to drive itself out of the showroom
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 02:54 AM   #22
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

The 520d will fly out no doubt there are already crazy lease deals on them
Appreciate 0