BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Next generation BMW M5 (F90) prototype first sighting! Spy Photos, Videos, Info

06-30-2015, 06:08 PM   #67
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I'd put the odds of a V10 at zero percent on the basis that there is absolutely no need for it.

I would also say eDrive is very low probability because the competition is still using V8s for at least one more generation, and you don't need eDrive with a V8. There's no point in adding it only to increase weight and cost. A future M5 is likely to use Power eDrive with an I6 evolved from today's S55 though.

The only possible surprise I could see is a 91mm bore center 4L V8 - a V8 member of the B* family. If not that, it'll be the next iteration of the S63. There is a chance for electric turbos as someone else mentioned, but I'd guess no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
Come on Scott, spill some info about the powertrain!

Twin Turbo V8, or e-drive? Or maybe a low displacement V10?
Appreciate 1
clbmw632.50
      06-30-2015, 10:31 PM   #68
secretanchitman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F82 M4 6MT

Garage List
AWD will probably be optional. If it isn't, it will be heavily RWD based I'm sure.

Is this the M5 that will totally drop 6MT? I hope not but I wouldn't blame BMW if it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 04:50 AM   #69
Jamie Vandenbalck
Belgian racing driver
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
Here's the time when I make fantasy wishes for things I would like for new M5:
1. 200 Kg less on the curb weight compared to F10
2. An e-diff that can handel the power and give good traction off the line and in cornering
3. A power/torque delivery solution similar to what Ferrrari have done with their turbo cars
4. Stardard brakes that work beyond 2 laps.
5. Exhaust and induction noises that sound like an M car not diesel
6. Launch control that does need a pre-flight checklist to activate
7. Bring back the Satin chrome finish as option
+1
      07-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #70
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretanchitman View Post
Is this the M5 that will totally drop 6MT? I hope not but I wouldn't blame BMW if it is.
Very likely, yes.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #71
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I'd put the odds of a V10 at zero percent on the basis that there is absolutely no need for it.

I would also say eDrive is very low probability because the competition is still using V8s for at least one more generation, and you don't need eDrive with a V8. There's no point in adding it only to increase weight and cost. A future M5 is likely to use Power eDrive with an I6 evolved from today's S55 though.

The only possible surprise I could see is a 91mm bore center 4L V8 - a V8 member of the B* family. If not that, it'll be the next iteration of the S63. There is a chance for electric turbos as someone else mentioned, but I'd guess no.
Yeah I know that these engine wishes are optimistic. We can expect a S63 again or a simple B
line V8 with 4L displacement. I know there is no need for the V10, but it is exclusive unlike the competition power trains. E turbos would be cool, but I can't fathom a V8 again which is going to adopt at least half of the predecessors hardware.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 12:45 PM   #72
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5
While it's way too early to do any speculating about the Drive Train or Power Train, this does confirm one thing. That the 2016 F10 M5 is the last model year M5 for the F10 generation and that the next generation M5 will be out uncharacteristically early based on past generation production years.

Although I highly doubt that I will be moving from the F10 M5 to the new "G90" M5, there are however, some things we can pretty much guarantee what the next generation M5 will incorporate:

- Some sort of AWD system that is either optional or selectable on the fly in the car.
- Better efficiency that the F10 M5, meaning better mpg. I'm going to guess at least 22mpg for EPA ratings.
- Floating iDrive Screen.
- Turn Signals moved from the fender to the side view mirrors.
- Some of the technology from the G11 7-Series, I'm going to say that the touch screen iDrive, air gesture tech, and climate control touch screens will at least make it into the next M5.
- Lighter than the F10 M5 to some degree.
Funny Dave, I was just thinking the same thing, since we are just approaching the end of year three with our beasts.

Couple more months in my F10 M5 and that's it for a M5 for awhile.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 08:14 AM   #73
Rohardi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Q50S Hybrid

I'm glad that there's info starting to come out! I can't wait till we have actual info and time table.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2015, 02:09 PM   #74
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

Agree. I think the days of the V10 are past us now and was a product of the Motorsport excess of the early 2000s. The new car has a V8 but further advanced with significant innovative adaptions for more Performance and Efficiency solutions.
The engine is being thoroughly developed.

The eDrive M5 is not an M5 per se. But a separate model to usher in an exciting range of performance as a plug-in hybrid, the first for a BMW to identify with changing times of the industry. Power eDrive.
The European market will also see an updated M550d again a more advanced update of today's Tri-Turbo car.
As well as firsts the new M5 will not offer a manual transmission, instead the latest M-DCT which is being developed with this car as well as optional xDrive as BMW M understand that that markets exists for both.
      07-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #75
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

[QUOTE=SCOTT26;18190818]Agree. I think the days of the V10 are past us now and was a product of the Motorsport excess of the early 2000s. The new car has a V8 but further advanced with significant innovative adaptions for more Performance and Efficiency solutions.

The needs to be a solution for the minor but perceptible turbo lag when you resume the throttle input to downshift below 3,000 RPM. This will be especially appreciated by those getting the RWD model who enjoy drifting the car.

Also worth looking into is the turn in delicacy that is lost from the E60 generation. I suspect it has something to do with more weight on the front end of the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #76
advantage20
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The eDrive M5 is not an M5 per se. But a separate model to usher in an exciting range of performance as a plug-in hybrid, the first for a BMW to identify with changing times of the industry. Power eDrive.
So likely labeled as an M Performance model, like M550e?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2015, 04:30 PM   #77
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Agree. I think the days of the V10 are past us now and was a product of the Motorsport excess of the early 2000s. The new car has a V8 but further advanced with significant innovative adaptions for more Performance and Efficiency solutions.

The European market will also see an updated M550d again a more advanced update of today's Tri-Turbo car.
As well as firsts the new M5 will not offer a manual transmission, instead the latest M-DCT which is being developed with this car as well as optional xDrive as BMW M understand that that markets exists for both.
There is one problem Scott. The eDrive model and the M550d wont be as good as the M5 simply because they arent built by M division. Dynamically both cars wont be even close to the M5, and everyone knows this. The second problem is the V8. Please dont give us the same S63 AGAIN. I drove the X6M for a couple of months and wasnt really glad to know that the M5 would have the same engine. I did buy myself the M6 and I like the engine eventhough it has small but noticable turbo lag low in the rev range, especially in 2-3 gear. But I cant accept that the next generation, the NEW generation uses the same old displacement and engine. It would crush the exclusivity of the M5. Tell me, is it a new V8 or a reworked S63?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #78
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
There is one problem Scott. The eDrive model and the M550d wont be as good as the M5 simply because they arent built by M division. Dynamically both cars wont be even close to the M5, and everyone knows this. The second problem is the V8. Please dont give us the same S63 AGAIN. I drove the X6M for a couple of months and wasnt really glad to know that the M5 would have the same engine. I did buy myself the M6 and I like the engine eventhough it has small but noticable turbo lag low in the rev range, especially in 2-3 gear. But I cant accept that the next generation, the NEW generation uses the same old displacement and engine. It would crush the exclusivity of the M5. Tell me, is it a new V8 or a reworked S63?
The M550d has opened a very lucrative position in the market especially markets that have huge tax penalties in regards to high performance cars.
The M550d is an M Performance vehicle it was developed by BMW M. Therefore its praise and abilities are entirely relevant to BMW M.
They conceived and brought to the market a performance car that is not only powered by the most preferred choice of European customers ie Diesel.
But also through innovation made the engine stand out significantly through innovation, performance and efficiency but brought out a car that was a reaction to what several markets were looking for.
The next 550d continues this chapter with further innovation with a reworked six cylinder diesel.

The 550e is the alternative to the alternative again Performance with efficiency.
It is the first of many Power eDrive models to showcase that BMW can make the alternative a true BMW when it comes to power and performance but from so little.

The next M5 I am not familiar with. But I do know there is excitement at Garching. Excitement because they have a very good weight balance to begin with by the use of the Carbon Core. The engine will be the reworked V8 but although I do not know the specification. I do know that it will be the most innovative M5 model yet and that the engine will be a major source for this innovation to be showcased. As will the body of the car itself,we will see some interesting application to this new M5.
      07-05-2015, 02:15 PM   #79
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

SCOTT26

At least for the American market, is it pretty much confirmed that no manual transmission M5 will be offered? Might BMW Individual Manufaktur be able to add such an option? The reason I ask is because I enjoy driving my Bimmers more with a 6 speed
      07-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #80
gearboxtrouble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

It seems to me that this is pretty early on historically to start seeing a M car prototype out and about. With Mercedes moving to releasing AMG versions of the C and E class within the first model year of the base car, it is possible that the next gen m5 is a 2017 my on sale late next year. If that's true that would validate the rumors about no all new engine and a reworked version of the M6 CP S63 would be the obvious choice. There's nothing wrong with that - the F10's main issue is its size and weight, not the powertrain. 2016-17 will also be too early for the electric turbos, the next M3/4 will likely be the first M cars to get those in 2019-20.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 05:40 PM   #81
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearboxtrouble View Post
It seems to me that this is pretty early on historically to start seeing a M car prototype out and about. With Mercedes moving to releasing AMG versions of the C and E class within the first model year of the base car, it is possible that the next gen m5 is a 2017 my on sale late next year. If that's true that would validate the rumors about no all new engine and a reworked version of the M6 CP S63 would be the obvious choice. There's nothing wrong with that - the F10's main issue is its size and weight, not the powertrain. 2016-17 will also be too early for the electric turbos, the next M3/4 will likely be the first M cars to get those in 2019-20.
Actually it is around the same time frame. BMW run an entirely different process, as soon as the first chassis are at their optimum then it begins for M.
As soon as we had a few months of F10 prototypes we first got a glimpse of the M5 early mules with the V10, prior to that it was an E60 with additional air intakes on the bumper. So we are looking at again a year after introduction with the regular 5er arriving on the market in early 2017.
      07-05-2015, 05:42 PM   #82
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordkeyz73 View Post
SCOTT26

At least for the American market, is it pretty much confirmed that no manual transmission M5 will be offered? Might BMW Individual Manufaktur be able to add such an option? The reason I ask is because I enjoy driving my Bimmers more with a 6 speed
What I have heard is no manual for the M5 and M6 as they are more likely to be bought with the M-DKG.
In fact I was recently in a marketing meeting with US representatives regarding manual transmissions and when asked could you give us something to work with, it was not promising.
      07-05-2015, 08:48 PM   #83
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

Thanks for the info! Too bad, I think there is enough demand in the U.S. to keep it as an option, even if it is slower.
      07-06-2015, 04:01 AM   #84
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info! Too bad, I think there is enough demand in the U.S. to keep it as an option, even if it is slower.
It is not just slower but heavier on fuel consumption.
I envision the M2,M3 and M4 will keep their manuals but M5 and M6 will not as it is no longer justifiable.
      07-06-2015, 04:07 AM   #85
Blackraven
Captain
Rep
Drives: Toyota Corolla ALTIS

Quote:
Like it or not
These days it's hard to make a case for the manual on higher end BMW M cars.

Especially with take rates below 10 percent....
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 09:46 AM   #86
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Is that a wifi button under the "mode" button
      07-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #87
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
Thanks for sharing the insightful information SCOTT26! Certainly is a lot to digest, even at this early stage.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2015, 11:26 AM   #88
vdeshpa
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratus650 View Post
As expected, no rear flared fenders

Overall design also seems to follow the new 7 evolution rather than revolution

I'd call it a facelift of a facelift
Wow! You can see through panels?
Cut the sarcasm, you are a BMW employee, unprofessional to get sarcastic with customers and fans
Appreciate 2