BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions First 2017 BMW 5 Series Touring (G31) production body prototypes spotted

08-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

First 2017 BMW 5 Series Touring (G31) production body prototypes spotted

BIMMERPOST NEWS
First 2017 BMW 5 Series Touring (G31) production body prototypes spotted
COMMENTS

We previously shared with you spy photos of the upcoming 5 Series touring models in mule form, which were based on the current F11 touring body. Today, the first full production body prototypes on the new body have been spotted out testing. Details such as the window lines and lights are all new.

This particular prototype is a plug-in hybrid model and reflects BMW's plans to offer a hybrid version of each of its core models. Like the next generation G30 5 Series Sedan, the touring model will also be built upon the CLAR platform which combines high-strength steel, aluminum and carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) construction.

The G31 5 Series Touring will launch next year. It's not yet known whether it will or will not be available in North America.

G31 Touring

Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #2
Petr0lhead
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F20 M-Sport

Not sure if those are the headlights of the F10...
Looks pretty similiar, they might be prototype lights, since no LED as indicators
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #3
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Huh...are you sure this isn't an F11 prototype? Lol
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

it looks exactly like F11 prototype spyshots.. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
Take a look at the forward cut-line of the hood/bonnet. It doesn't have the F10/F11's straight across line, but rather the hood runs all the way to, and is cut around, the lights and front grille (like the new 7).
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley
Quote:
Quote:
Take a look at the forward cut-line of the hood/bonnet. It doesn't have the F10/F11's straight across line, but rather the hood runs all the way to, and is cut around, the lights and front grille (like the new 7).
Yeah i was just kidding around.

Not that i dont like the F10's design, and i think it aged pretty well, but even though this prot is heavily camo'ed, i think its safe to say that it will be more like a facelift than a new model, just a bit "edgier" here and there.

If you look back, hardly a previous generation of a bmw model resembled too much like the next one, and you could easily distinguish each model apart. Nowadays I see more and more of this Audi trend of sameness across the range. Hope im wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
gvega702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW 325i Premium | Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRAPOVICOWNS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah i was just kidding around.

Not that i dont like the F10's design, and i think it aged pretty well, but even though this prot is heavily camo'ed, i think its safe to say that it will be more like a facelift than a new model, just a bit "edgier" here and there.

If you look back, hardly a previous generation of a bmw model resembled too much like the next one, and you could easily distinguish each model apart. Nowadays I see more and more of this Audi trend of sameness across the range. Hope im wrong though.
I'm sure looking at the previous 7 vs new 7 I'm sure this is going to be a minimal change in the looks department.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #8
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
the current 5er is a great looking car im sure this new one will be awesome too!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #9
3M TAPE
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

I think they need to hire new exterior designers.
I really haven't seen anything significant in terms of design after Chris Bangle left the company.

In-car technology improvement? checked.
Driving dynamic/performance improvement? checked.
Engine/gas Efficiency improvement? checked.
Design improvement?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Ehm.. I don't want to jump to any conclusions this early, but I will express my opinion here. The F10/11 looks BORING. The car is by no means ugly, as the proportions are pleasing from every angle, but at the same time not one single aspect of the car shows aggressiveness, elegance or beauty. The reason I sided with the more expensive 6 series is not because of the slight dynamic benefits, it's because of the looks purely. And it's safe to say that the G30/31 won't look a lot different from the old car. And cars looking slightly similar to their old counterparts are not a problem, I think the G11 looks great in M sport. But this car will look like the boring F10 again, say for slightly different bumpers and tailights. The f10 headlights are easily the worst aspect of the F10, and the new model doesn't have really different ones. They should make the headlights slimmer distinct, these look like the ones from the f48 x1 just connected to the grill and they look like the f10 headlights, for that matter the whole front looks BORING to me seeing this front snapshot. I can't get around using the word 'boring' to explain the 5 series in the last 5 years.

And this is of course my opinion and please don't argue with me that '10 million people like the design because they bought it' as no one ever could say that the F10 is an actually beautifully designed car.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #11
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Its the G31. The roof line is more dynamic towards the rear over today's F11.
This is the G31 550e.
We can't overly change the formula of the Touring which is why the Gran Turismo exists. Especially when we have huge fleet sales for Government , businesses and of course Polizei and other enforcement agencies who buy a lot of Touring's.
But we can make it look a little more dynamic because if a designer has a brief and they have all the specification then they can tweak some areas because the increased dimensions will offer some extra design freedom, like the roof line is far more dynamic at the rear of the car compared to the F11.

Last edited by SCOTT26; 08-04-2015 at 01:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 01:42 PM   #12
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
so it will have the same headlight to grill philosophy as the 3/4 Series and the new 7 Series?

I can't see that from these photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Its the G31. The roof line is more dynamic towards the rear over today's F11.
This is the G31 550e.
We can't overly change the formula of the Touring which is why the Gran Turismo exists. Especially when we have huge fleet sales for Government , businesses and of course Polizei and other enforcement agencies who buy a lot of Touring's.
But we can make it look a little more dynamic because if a designer has a brief and they have all the specification then they can tweak some areas because the increased dimensions will offer some extra design freedom, like the roof line is far more dynamic at the rear of the car compared to the F11.
Touring is something good and practical, but Gran Turismo? I didn't find a single reason for this car to exist! maybe BMW will end its production soon
      08-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #13
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentium View Post
so it will have the same headlight to grill philosophy as the 3/4 Series and the new 7 Series?

I can't see that from these photos!

Touring is something good and practical, but Gran Turismo? I didn't find a single reason for this car to exist! maybe BMW will end its production soon
No it will live. The next one is very special , its longer, smoother and more Coupe like but still keeping its core customer requirements.
It will also include a level of luxury introduced with the new BMW 7er.
The interior is very exclusive, one of the reasons for its popularity amongst customers.

The next 5er follows the new 7er which slowly begins the transition to use angular design elements. The 5er continues this with more angular design features and with the next 3er which should be the full transition to use more technical and chiseled features.
Attached Images

08-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
No it will live. The next one is very special , its longer, smoother and more Coupe like but still keeping its core customer requirements.
The interior is very exclusive, one of the reasons for its popularity amongst customers.

The next 5er follows the new 7er which slowly begins the transition to use angular design elements. The 5er continues this with more angular design features and with the next 3er which should be the full transition to use more technical and chiseled features.

Well, judging by the drawing it will look close to perfect imo.
New and fresh, but still classic, like E38/39/46.
The F1* have aged well, still looks great to this day.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #15
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
Ehm.. I don't want to jump to any conclusions this early, but I will express my opinion here. The F10/11 looks BORING. The car is by no means ugly, as the proportions are pleasing from every angle, but at the same time not one single aspect of the car shows aggressiveness, elegance or beauty. The reason I sided with the more expensive 6 series is not because of the slight dynamic benefits, it's because of the looks purely. And it's safe to say that the G30/31 won't look a lot different from the old car. And cars looking slightly similar to their old counterparts are not a problem, I think the G11 looks great in M sport. But this car will look like the boring F10 again, say for slightly different bumpers and tailights. The f10 headlights are easily the worst aspect of the F10, and the new model doesn't have really different ones. They should make the headlights slimmer distinct, these look like the ones from the f48 x1 just connected to the grill and they look like the f10 headlights, for that matter the whole front looks BORING to me seeing this front snapshot. I can't get around using the word 'boring' to explain the 5 series in the last 5 years.

And this is of course my opinion and please don't argue with me that '10 million people like the design because they bought it' as no one ever could say that the F10 is an actually beautifully designed car.
Well, I will argue. Because I bought one and I absolutely love the design. Boring? Look at it compared to an A6 or an E class and tell me which one looks more appropriate for the segment. I no longer have mine because of mechanical issues, but every time I see one I think it is a classy and timeless design. There is way more detail in it than revealed at a cursory look.

You have your opinion and that's fine. But don't tell people not to argue with you....that means you think your opinion is fact.
Appreciate 2
      08-04-2015, 02:28 PM   #16
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:

IF the GT is to live, it needs to lose the SUV-like ground clearance and the bulbous front and rear fascia. I get the whole "7 series like" interior, still not sure why you wouldn't just buy a 7 series, but that's me.

But really, they need to dump the GT in the US and bring this. Let the GT live in other parts of the world where wacky luxury hatchbacks have a market.

<--- Former wagon owner who would buy another.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #17
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

It would make sense that the next 5 will be evolutionary like the new 7. I admit, that's too bad for me. As you can see from my sig, I had been driving 5ers since the 80s and the F10 was just a step too far for me - too big, way too heavy. Heck, the current 3er is bigger than my first 5! In my heart, I'm still a BMW guy. But I would love to see a return to a sleeker, lower weight models.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #18
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Well, I will argue. Because I bought one and I absolutely love the design. Boring? Look at it compared to an A6 or an E class and tell me which one looks more appropriate for the segment. I no longer have mine because of mechanical issues, but every time I see one I think it is a classy and timeless design. There is way more detail in it than revealed at a cursory look.

You have your opinion and that's fine. But don't tell people not to argue with you....that means you think your opinion is fact.
The F10 still looks better than the A6 or E Class, of course, as both these cars are not well designed at all from the exterior. And I can understand that people might think the exterior design is apporpriate, beautiful? I didnt mean to offend anyones opinion by stating that the F10 is not beautiful. In most cars there is always a feature which makes a certain car look good. The low slung bonnet of the 4 series, the haunches of the jag f type...

This feature is absent in the F10. There is nothing ugly either, unlike the E60s headlights, and they went way too safe after bangle and now there is no standout design trait.

Everyone I asked about an F10 never said they like the design, neither have I read anything in magazines which was positive towards the design except for saying that the awkward parts of the E60 were fixed. I guess the car might have some understated beauty especially as m sport, as the F10, like I said, lacks aggressiveness and elegance which every other bmw has. I guess some people arent into overstyled front ends and sharp rears, which I can understand as it can seem annoying and having a lower profile car might be refreshing. But I myself dont see beauty, I never heard anyone say its beautiful and I never read any point mentioning its beautiful.

With my statement I didnt mean to offend anyones opinion, and of course there will be people who like certain cars for certain reasons, and my view might be spoiled because I see hundreds of F10s daily which might make me feel like their boring. But you have to admit that the F10 is at least no publically mentioned beauty.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 02:49 PM   #19
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:

thats why my father loves the 5 GT.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #20
YungDro
Major
Rep

Quote:

Also I thought BMW said in future designs you can tell the difference between each BMW model meaning they won't look the same? I don't want BMW to do what Mercedes is doing which is making every car look the same with the same face, body style, front and rear lights etc.. the current c class upcoming e class and s class are identical but are just smaller and bigger versions of each other. I hope BMW doesnt do the same.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #21
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I feel this car is a waste of material! 4 doors is bad enough but a BMW Griswald mobile! Give me a break, isn't that what Volvo's are for?
      08-04-2015, 03:40 PM   #22
Pentium
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

Come on, the on going generation is not even public, you barely see one!
Hope that they can fix the things in the next gen Gran Turismos in general cause also the 3 GT has the same problem.