BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum iDrive, Audio, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics + Coding G31 speaker upgrade

05-04-2023, 03:56 AM   #1
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

G31 speaker upgrade

I am planning on upgrading the sound in my G31. The existing stereo option without tweeters is not very satisfying to me so I am thinking of changing all the speakers+subs+adding a centre channel. Apart from the amp (Match UP7DSP) I am thinking of either

Focal IS BMW 100 L + Focal I SUB BMW4

Steg bm45c II bmw + steg BM8II subs

Anyone has experience with Focal IS or Steg sound? Which one would be better option?

Appreciate any opinion and recommendation. Thx
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2023, 08:35 AM   #2
xDrivex5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D G31 LCi M-sport

My local audio store suggested to use Morel speakers...they have also special kit for BMW.
I am also thinking of doing smth with my G31 HK system, it sounds not great at all

I had G05 X5 with HK system and there it was much better.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 09:16 AM   #3
padraigg
Rep
Drives: 520D G30

I swapped all speakers with Focal equivalents & added the Impulse 4.320 amp. The sound quality is excellent now, way better than the original stock setup.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 12:56 PM   #4
bryansna
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m550ix

Garage List
Did the speakers fit without modification? Did you have to add line output converter for the Amp?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 03:10 PM   #5
Mhop74
Registered
Rep
Drives: G30

I have just upgraded the base audio in my G30 to the Focal IS BMW 100 L, I SUB BMW 4 and IC BMW 100 plus the impulse 4.320 amp. It’s a massive improvement over the base audio system which was a huge disappointment. I used the IMP 2.1 wiring harness and located the amp in the trunk. Everything was completely plug and play. It took me a while to realise that the speakers in the front doors are effectively wired from the subwoofers under the front seats - so cables run from the amp to the subs and plug in using the factory connectors. Running the wiring harness was the hardest part of the install.

I’m now interest to see if anyone has any recommendations about coding that would better for this setup compared to the base audio.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 03:15 PM   #6
padraigg
Rep

The door speakers needed very minor modification.
The amp runs off the subs connectors. Unplug the cable from the head unit to the subs (this connector also doubles as feed to the door speakers), and connect it to the amp loom. There's a return connector from the amp that now plugs into the subs. The amp has a selector switch for low/hi input so really easy to set up.

Name:  Door speaker.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  481.0 KB

Last edited by padraigg; 05-11-2023 at 03:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 03:27 PM   #7
padraigg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhop74 View Post
I have just upgraded the base audio in my G30 to the Focal IS BMW 100 L, I SUB BMW 4 and IC BMW 100 plus the impulse 4.320 amp. It’s a massive improvement over the base audio system which was a huge disappointment. I used the IMP 2.1 wiring harness and located the amp in the trunk. Everything was completely plug and play. It took me a while to realise that the speakers in the front doors are effectively wired from the subwoofers under the front seats - so cables run from the amp to the subs and plug in using the factory connectors. Running the wiring harness was the hardest part of the install.

I’m now interest to see if anyone has any recommendations about coding that would better for this setup compared to the base audio.
It's unreal the difference, isn't it?

You will get the best performance from high quality files stored via USB. The radio or bluetooth doesn't come close.

I believe you can code an advanced graphic equalizer but I haven't got around to it yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 04:17 PM   #8
Mhop74
Registered
Rep

I only completed the install this morning, so not had a long listen, but the difference is very significant.

I think the OP doesn’t have the tweeter pods - I didn’t either and bought them from AliExpress for about £30 - delivered in about a week and they seem spot on to me. Decent saving over the OEM if you don’t have them.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 12:01 PM   #9
Mhop74
Registered
Rep

Extra note for anyone considering the Focal upgrade. The recommended settings on the Impulse 4.320 amp are here:

https://www.focal-inside.com/bmw/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/IMPULSE4320_Presets.pdf

I found I needed an extra 1/4 turn on the rear gain (subs). But I’m using the 4ohm subs, not the 2ohm. And the tweeters I originally used the 0db connection but found it too bright. Changed to the -3db connection and it’s much better. Of course your listening preferences may differ!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 08:13 AM   #10
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for all your input. I am glad to learn that it is not going to be a mistake to pur Focals into my car. Does anyone have any experience with Steg speakers? I was told they sound better than Focals for similar price...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 03:37 PM   #11
perzonal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Question Access to amp g31

Hi Guys,

Instead of creating a new thread. I`ll ask here.

Tomorrow I`ll change my hifi amp to 7up BMW. Hence I`m wondering about how to easisest get access into the location of it? What trims need to be removed and where to unscrew? Don`t want to spend too much time figuring out how to remove the pannels resulting in bad words…
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2023, 07:40 PM   #12
WretchedRefuse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by perzonal View Post
Hi Guys,

Instead of creating a new thread. I`ll ask here.

Tomorrow I`ll change my hifi amp to 7up BMW. Hence I`m wondering about how to easisest get access into the location of it? What trims need to be removed and where to unscrew? Don`t want to spend too much time figuring out how to remove the pannels resulting in bad words…
You will need to remove the left (driver) side trunk trim panel. There are some videos on Youtube that talk about how to do this. If that's not sufficient, buy a one-day subscription to bmwtis.com and download the step-by-step instructions from BMW. It will be a struggle the first time you do it - yes, there will be some bad words - but I've done it a few times now and it's becoming much quicker. If you're on a G31 rather than a G30, I expect the steps to be similar but definitely not the same.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 03:57 AM   #13
perzonal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WretchedRefuse View Post
You will need to remove the left (driver) side trunk trim panel. There are some videos on Youtube that talk about how to do this. If that's not sufficient, buy a one-day subscription to bmwtis.com and download the step-by-step instructions from BMW. It will be a struggle the first time you do it - yes, there will be some bad words - but I've done it a few times now and it's becoming much quicker. If you're on a G31 rather than a G30, I expect the steps to be similar but definitely not the same.
Thanks 😊 I’ve tried to find a good video showing the process on G31 but can only find G30 videos showing how to remove the necessary trim. The install itself is a nobrainer but the panels lol 😅 Could not find the bmwtis site either but I appreciate your idea! I will look if I know someone with access via Esys etc and would be able to print it then. 😊

Edit: Found this: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...nit/1VnbgsADlw

Altough if there’s any easier way that doesn’t require all those steps bring it on 😁

Last edited by perzonal; 05-16-2023 at 06:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 07:36 AM   #14
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

Finally, my stereo has been upgraded in my G31. The amp (Match Up 8 DSP) fits well in the left rear side of the trunk underneath the trim panel. The final setup is Focal and Steg (subs and rear). The speakers still have to burn-in, yet their performance is WAY better than that of my basic stereo setup before.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2023, 03:24 PM   #15
jiweee
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 540 View Post
Finally, my stereo has been upgraded in my G31. The amp (Match Up 8 DSP) fits well in the left rear side of the trunk underneath the trim panel. The final setup is Focal and Steg (subs and rear). The speakers still have to burn-in, yet their performance is WAY better than that of my basic stereo setup before.
How did you go about removing the plastic trim?
I've removed the 10mm nut and the plastic "plug" beneath the stock amp but still I'm having trouble getting it out. Is there anything else that needs to be removed to get it out?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 03:28 AM   #16
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

My car did not have the stock amp. So the space underneath the trim provided enought space to install the amp. We just made a plate onto which we mounted the amp and fastened the plate into the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 12:00 PM   #17
jukex
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 530D X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by padraigg View Post
The door speakers needed very minor modification.
The amp runs off the subs connectors. Unplug the cable from the head unit to the subs (this connector also doubles as feed to the door speakers), and connect it to the amp loom. There's a return connector from the amp that now plugs into the subs. The amp has a selector switch for low/hi input so really easy to set up.
I've been searching for weeks for information on improving the basic audio, glad I found this thread!
The amp your're using will be ideal for me. I guess you had to run a cable from under the seat all the way to the boot? I'm wondering if the amp could be fitted under one of the front seats. Would just need to sort power then.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2023, 01:22 PM   #18
padraigg
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukex View Post
I've been searching for weeks for information on improving the basic audio, glad I found this thread!
The amp your're using will be ideal for me. I guess you had to run a cable from under the seat all the way to the boot? I'm wondering if the amp could be fitted under one of the front seats. Would just need to sort power then.
You could mount the amp under one of the seats but the boot is the best place for it. I put mine on the right as you look into the boot, right beside the fuse board. If you go for the https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Focal-IHB.../dp/B087RNFPDG IHB03 cable, and mount the amp under the seat, you will have way too much cable. It might take an hour or two more installing in the boot with this cable but it will be far neater.
Appreciate 1
jukex0.00
      06-19-2023, 07:19 AM   #19
Mike 540
Private First Class
Rep

My amp is mounted on the left hand side of the car in the trunk (its G31). That is where BMW installs their amps in hifi option. And yes, we had to use new cabelling between HU, amp and the speakers. Cables are also run on the left hand side. The whole install took us one day. We installed also a coaxial speaker to the dash (and had to change the top grille which was not sound-thru). As such, the amp still has one channel unused - for additional subwoofer maybe.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 10:05 AM   #20
rstudeny@gmail.com
No_Country
Rep
Drives: f23 m235i | g31 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 540 View Post
We installed also a coaxial speaker to the dash (and had to change the top grille which was not sound-thru). maybe.
Hey man!

I am interested around your note around thr grille in center.. it looks the same but it's "full plastic" whaaat? Why they would do it? I am Also planning to add center speaker there in my G31, so far updated just mids and tweeters in the front from Audison and upgrade from Base audio is huge.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2024, 10:39 AM   #21
BMW_E_F_G
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i COMPETITION G30 2017

Hi everyone,

GLADEN BOXMORE sets are very inexpensive for the quality it delivers. There are 3 options possible;

GLADEN BOXMORE BMW GT: 2x subs, 2x mids, 2x tweeters. 1x MOSCONI ONE AMP. Total 520w RMS $940

GLADEN BOXMORE BMW DSP: 2x subs, 2x mids, 2x tweeters. 1x MOSCONI ONE AMP with intergrated DSP. Total 520w RMS $1220

GLADEN BOXMORE BMW DSP: 2x subs, 2x mids, 2x tweeters. 1x MOSCONI ONE AMP with intergrated DSP. Total 610w RMS $1480

I've had the first option in my previous car which had the standard BMW speakers without the tweeters and the central dashboard speaker and it sounded just phenomenal. The bass is really strong and very very very deep. Also the highs we're perfect. It sounds way way better than the stock Harman Kardon surround (option 688) which I have now in my recent car.

All of the kits come with the required cables etc.

If you would like to know more just send me a PM

Greets,
Taylyan
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 07:55 AM   #22
rstudeny@gmail.com
No_Country
Rep
Drives: f23 m235i | g31 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiweee View Post
How did you go about removing the plastic trim?
I've removed the 10mm nut and the plastic "plug" beneath the stock amp but still I'm having trouble getting it out. Is there anything else that needs to be removed to get it out?

I am curious as well.. having hard time to remove that plastic piece below the original Amp (RAM module). Did you find it out?
Appreciate 0