BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions 520D G30 Door handle lights

05-29-2022, 06:07 AM   #1
retepnikrap1
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D G30 2018

520D G30 Door handle lights

Hi
I have a 2018 G30 which I have just bought, it has the ambient light pack, and looking at all 4 external door handles they have the LED lens fitted however they don't light when I open the car doors. I have looked in the idrive menu and for 'External lights' there is no option to turn them on or off. I assume with them fitted that they should work and unlikely that all 4 are faulty. Can anyone help? Thank you

Just adding to the post.
This morning I opened the car with the remote and all 4 door handle LEDs lit, shut the door locked it and tried again and nothing! Tried again several times and still no illuminated LED door handles. Very strange and frustrating, I must be missing something.

Last edited by retepnikrap1; 05-30-2022 at 05:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 05:16 AM   #2
retepnikrap1
Rep

Just bumped as I added to the original post.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 06:11 AM   #3
paquet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport etc

blown / faulty fuse perhaps?

the only other thing i can think of is in drive settings - welcome lights.
not sure if you need your lights to be on the 'auto' setting for it
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 08:17 AM   #4
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

In iDrive go to :

Car > Settings > Exterior Lighting.

Then scroll down to 'Comfort' and make sure 'Welcome and Goodbye' and 'Door Handle Lights' are both ticked.

Hope this helps.
      05-30-2022, 08:32 AM   #5
retepnikrap1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allachie9 View Post
In iDrive go to :

Car > Settings > Exterior Lighting.

Then scroll down to 'Comfort' and make sure 'Welcome and Goodbye' and 'Door Handle Lights' are both ticked.

Hope this helps.
Been in 'Exterior Lighting' and then 'Comfort' I have no option to check or uncheck 'Door Handle Lights'. I have only had the car a couple of days (bought used 12k miles) When I originally got the car I thought it didn't have the option even though you can see the LED under all 4 handles, then this morning when I opened the car they came on!! So I definitely have them as an option but no 'Door Handle Lights' option on the iDrive.
I had these on a 2012 320D a few years ago so I'm familiar with them, on my old car they came on every time you opened the door with the key fob day time or night time, will try tonight when it gets dark in case they work with the photocell which the auto headlights use. I have main dealer warranty but just thought that there has to be a logical explanation before turn up at BMW and look a numpty!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 03:15 PM   #6
retepnikrap1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by retepnikrap1 View Post
Been in 'Exterior Lighting' and then 'Comfort' I have no option to check or uncheck 'Door Handle Lights'. I have only had the car a couple of days (bought used 12k miles) When I originally got the car I thought it didn't have the option even though you can see the LED under all 4 handles, then this morning when I opened the car they came on!! So I definitely have them as an option but no 'Door Handle Lights' option on the iDrive.
I had these on a 2012 320D a few years ago so I'm familiar with them, on my old car they came on every time you opened the door with the key fob day time or night time, will try tonight when it gets dark in case they work with the photocell which the auto headlights use. I have main dealer warranty but just thought that there has to be a logical explanation before turn up at BMW and look a numpty!
SOLVED
They are light sensitive, waited until dusk and now they come on when I unlock the car, no setting options on iDrive they just operate when it goes dark, makes sense really but on my last BMW they illuminated day or night! Interestingly they come on the first time you open the car even in daylight but after that not until it’s dark again….. Drove me nuts.
Appreciate 3
NGT25748.00
allachie91334.00