BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions Steering wheel off center.

05-29-2022, 07:36 PM   #1
stryder011
Private
Rep
Drives: 325,C300,E350,228,Mustang,M550

Steering wheel off center.

I've started noticing that my steering wheel is a bit off, i would say maybe a few degrees off to the right when driving in a straight line. The car does not drift so I'm pretty sure its not an alignment problem, just that the steering wheel doesn't sit in dead center when going in a straight line. I've never noticed this before, the car is less than a year old and I've recently had both my front tires replaced due to them getting a bubble (NJ roads). I did ask the dealership to do a wheel alignment after the replacement which they did and charged me for it.

Now, not sure if this is some type of placebo effect or its always been like this.

So I guess the question is how much off center is enough to get it checked out. When going in a straight line is your wheel always in dead center or a little off to the left or right is acceptable.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 09:19 PM   #2
cna90
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 540ix with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder011 View Post
I've started noticing that my steering wheel is a bit off, i would say maybe a few degrees off to the right when driving in a straight line. The car does not drift so I'm pretty sure its not an alignment problem, just that the steering wheel doesn't sit in dead center when going in a straight line. I've never noticed this before, the car is less than a year old and I've recently had both my front tires replaced due to them getting a bubble (NJ roads). I did ask the dealership to do a wheel alignment after the replacement which they did and charged me for it.

Now, not sure if this is some type of placebo effect or its always been like this.

So I guess the question is how much off center is enough to get it checked out. When going in a straight line is your wheel always in dead center or a little off to the left or right is acceptable.
Get the dealer to do the alignment again.
If it's done recently they screwed up. Probably steering wheel wasn't fully straight when they realigned everything.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 03:35 PM   #3
stryder011
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cna90 View Post
Get the dealer to do the alignment again.
If it's done recently they screwed up. Probably steering wheel wasn't fully straight when they realigned everything.
Have an appointment with them for this Wednesday. Hopefully its a quick fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 09:29 AM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

If the alignment appears correct, then it is not technically an alignment issue per se. The tie rod ends are not adjusted correctly. You can have car that is perfectly aligned but adjust the tie rod ends so the wheel is off 90 degrees. They should do that as the last step of the alignment process.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2022, 10:01 AM   #5
stryder011
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
If the alignment appears correct, then it is not technically an alignment issue per se. The tie rod ends are not adjusted correctly. You can have car that is perfectly aligned but adjust the tie rod ends so the wheel is off 90 degrees. They should do that as the last step of the alignment process.
OK will mention it to them. Its off just a bit so I'm hoping they don't come back and say it's fine. Have had a really good experience with my dealership so hoping for the best.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 06:55 PM   #6
stryder011
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryder011 View Post
OK will mention it to them. Its off just a bit so I'm hoping they don't come back and say it's fine. Have had a really good experience with my dealership so hoping for the best.
Got the car back today. They adjusted the front toe and did a good job. Steering wheel perfectly centered.
Appreciate 2
paquet629.50
Spyder364.50