BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions How to turn on the combustion engine in 530e without moving it ?

12-15-2021, 10:11 AM   #23
Abuzaiedmd
Jordan
Rep
Drives: Bmw 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
Why do you need to warm the engine? BMW doesn’t suggest idling to warm their engines. The G30 has active shutters so it will heat the engine very quickly while driving.
In case of low battery charge, especially in cold mornings, i warm up the ICE before strart driving. Usually the vehicle warms itself up, but for a very short period, the ICE shuts down immediately despite the temp indicator still in the middle of blue zone.
In comparison to non-hybrid models, the ICE keeps running and warms up itself to operating temp, in hybrid model when the battery out of charge, for every acceleration the cold ICE will start up and eventually shut down with deceleration and this happens every time with cold engine. I think it is harmful.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 12:05 PM   #24
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abuzaiedmd View Post
In case of low battery charge, especially in cold mornings, i warm up the ICE before strart driving. Usually the vehicle warms itself up, but for a very short period, the ICE shuts down immediately despite the temp indicator still in the middle of blue zone.
In comparison to non-hybrid models, the ICE keeps running and warms up itself to operating temp, in hybrid model when the battery out of charge, for every acceleration the cold ICE will start up and eventually shut down with deceleration and this happens every time with cold engine. I think it is harmful.
I guess it is a matter of guessing on which one is more harmful than the other?

BMW specifically notes in the manual not to idle the engine to warm the car up and the PHEV was designed to start the engine at 70MPH or 90MPH (Max eDrive) in 0F on the highway...

But I suggest you try seeing how long it takes your car to warm up with the active shutters. I expect you'd be surprised. It takes a couple of minutes for me driving through the city. My MB I traded didn't have this and the winter you'd be driving moderately for a good little while in the winter while it warmed up.

The ones that make me a bit nervous is dealing with the highways we have here in Philly. We get really short on ramps (< 50 feet in visibly) so you're often having to floor it to get onto the highway safely. That means it isn't uncommon for me to have a cold engine and be asking the car for max power too. It does a great job managing it. As it really leans more on the EV motor than the ICE when the ICE isn't warm. Really well done honestly.

I'll have my car 7 years minimum so I'll be here to complain if it has any negative impacts, but I'm sure BMW designed it well. There is a reason we have a stronger engine (meaning they reinforced some parts they expected would incur more stress not more power) than the 530i, but it is detuned to limit the stress on those components... We're only dealing with a 184HP 4 banger. (530i is 252HP on the same 4 banger).

Don't overthink it. Just enjoy the vehicle
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 06:33 PM   #25
zeta404
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2019 G30

Garage List
2019 BMW 530e  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1110 View Post
Hi Guys,
I just purchased a 530e M Sport (MY2020 with iDrive 7) and I’m truly enjoying it.

However due to the nature of my job,I have to work for 1 month away from home and I will have another month of leave. Thus, I have to leave the car at home.

When I’m away no one will be using the car. Therefore I asked my son to start the car once in every 2 days. Since this car is a plug-in hybrid, it starts in auto e-drive and runs through the high-voltage battery. I will leave it to run through the battery for 5 minutes approximately.

However my question is how do I let the combustion engine run after 5 minutes of using the battery. Can someone explain to me how to make the combustion engine start for 5 minutes or so without moving the car in any way.

The dealer asked me to move the transmission to manual and the engine starts however once I engage park, the combustion engine stops. I have even tried using the sports driving experience, yet the combustion engine doesn’t turn on.

So guys please explain to me in a step by step manner on how to start the combustion engine without moving the car.

Thank you and have a great day.

Here is a trick my friend. This will never let your engine off unless u want to…
Do these steps while pressing down the brake…
First make sure you got your ebrake on (handbrake) and I myself don’t like the autohold so I keep it off

keep in mind have ur brake pressed
Step 1 = Push power button (now car starts only with the high-voltage battery only)
Step 2 = open the door
Step 3 = Put the car into gear ( D ) After that put it in Sport&Manual mode (this will turn your engine on by command)
Step 4 = Press P(Park) and let off the brakes at the same time
Tadaa you can leave the car and it’ll stay running for hours or days 😂
close the door or do anything you want but once u press brake again it shuts off the engine and goes back to EV 😴
Thanks ❤️ try it and tell me if you guys get it if not I can make a video.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2023, 11:09 PM   #26
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta404 View Post
Here is a trick my friend. This will never let your engine off unless u want to…
Do these steps while pressing down the brake…
First make sure you got your ebrake on (handbrake) and I myself don’t like the autohold so I keep it off

keep in mind have ur brake pressed
Step 1 = Push power button (now car starts only with the high-voltage battery only)
Step 2 = open the door
Step 3 = Put the car into gear ( D ) After that put it in Sport&Manual mode (this will turn your engine on by command)
Step 4 = Press P(Park) and let off the brakes at the same time
Tadaa you can leave the car and it’ll stay running for hours or days 😂
close the door or do anything you want but once u press brake again it shuts off the engine and goes back to EV 😴
Thanks ❤️ try it and tell me if you guys get it if not I can make a video.
You can also press the gas gently while the car is in P. It will turn the engine on then.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 03:11 AM   #27
zeta404
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e 2019 G30

Garage List
2019 BMW 530e  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
You can also press the gas gently while the car is in P. It will turn the engine on then.
Even you do that it wont stay for a while ive tried that. this is only solution to keep it 100% gas
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 10:10 AM   #28
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta404 View Post
Even you do that it wont stay for a while ive tried that. this is only solution to keep it 100% gas
It should if you open the door once it is on. Similar to your other steps.
Appreciate 1
ted99248.00
      01-10-2023, 10:30 AM   #29
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Steve in Arizona is missing from this posting. Think he got his Lucid Air?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2023, 01:50 AM   #30
Numark318i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i

MY 2022 530e, when I put the car in sport xtraboost the ice will run constantly, even in park.

Monaco Blue 2008 328i/Sports/6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 03:44 AM   #31
ei6dt
Rep
Drives: X1 25e Msport

Keep engine running on hybrid

I found out from an Italian site that on my X1 25e that by giving a long press on the dsc button the engine starts and the car stays in non hybrid mode. The dsc off lamp shows but one press of the dsc button puts it back to on yet the car stays in non hybrid mode. This probably is the same for all hybrid beemers. This is handy for long journeys when you don’t want the extra fuel usage caused by the car charging its internal battery.
It is also useful to stop you freezing your nuts off while sitting waiting for the wife in the middle of winter.
Appreciate 0