BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 General Forum    Next Gen F90 M5 to stay RWD, says Van Meel

05-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #1
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Next Gen F90 M5 to stay RWD, says Van Meel

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Quote:
It may be a hard pill for enthusiasts to swallow, but with with each generation getting even more power, it's apparently only a matter of time before BMW's M-badged cars are no longer rear-wheel drive only.

That's the word according to M division's CEO Frank van Meel. Speaking with Autocar, he said rear-wheel drive would always remain the default configuration for M cars, but an all-wheel-drive option was inevitable. It will have to be rear-biased and will be different than xDrive, but it will still send power to all four wheels.

Traction control, stability control, and torque vectoring technology have improved drastically over the years, but they still aren't enough to reliably and safely put more than 600 horsepower to the ground.

With BMW's M cars getting so powerful, van Meel said it's getting hard to sell them without all-wheel drive in markets like Canada and Switzerland. M-badged SUVs like the X5 M already use all-wheel drive, but (at least for now) its sedans have traditionally done without.

Thankfully, all-wheel-drive M cars are probably still several years off. Van Meel confirmed that the next-generation M5 will stick with RWD. It will also do without most of the autonomous technology the new 5 Series will borrow from the 7 Series.

While we understand why BMW will need to offer all-wheel drive on its M cars, we're thankful to at least get one last RWD M5 before that happens.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...re-inevitable/
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

This is a surprise considering the hints provide previously in interviews by Van Meel himself, as well as the unmistakable evidence of AWD M5s being tested.

http://g30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1144727

Quote:
"If we continue the power increases in the future—especially regarding torque and also horsepower—then probably the next generation M5 and M6 will have so much torque and power that we need to think about those solutions.”

To soften the blow for the purists, van Meel also said, “So if we go on a direction of four-wheel drive, for us it will really be like a rear-wheel drive with more traction."

Of course, we know that BMW tests many vehicle configurations that don't end up becoming products.

But those things aside, it is also a surprise because of the huge advantage AWD provides for getting power to the ground. If the F90 is RWD-only, it will be interesting to see how it is received against its next-generation competitors which will all have at least optional AWD and likely have real world acceleration times near 3.0s to 60 mph.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Good to see, last thing we need is for M's to get even heavier. They should focus more on the weight and less on higher HP as weight reduction benefits all factors of performance (and economy). My opinion is they need the higher hp for advertising and same hp but losing a couple of hundred pounds, while probably a better over package wouldn't interest people as much.

As the owner of two RWD cars, besides the 0-10 all out acceleration and driving in really bad weather I don't see enough of a benefit to deal with the weight, cost, added maintenance and repair.
      05-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #4
sdshah
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 | Panamera GTS

Major mistake by BMW.
Appreciate 2
      05-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #5
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Phew, what a relief!
      05-03-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
GMe90
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe, ZSP, Premium

Garage List
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [6.00]
2007 BMW 328i  [10.00]
The next question is whether MT will be offered.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
iamdabest1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 dct

That's terrible . I hope they have awd option or they'll continue getting spanked by audi and Porsche
Appreciate 7
      05-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #8
sakson
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
Then make a nicely balanced car again that can actually put the power down. Not a burnout muscle car that spins its tires even at highway speeds. This goes for the current M3/4 as well.

Appreciate 12
      05-03-2016, 09:05 AM   #9
Mdecisive
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

It's a shame, gone are the glory days of what M used to be.. I know I'm flogging a dead horse but can't help but think What I'd give to have one more generation of high singing N/A "S" coded M engines again
2009 BMW 130i 6MT E87 - SOLD
2017 BMW LBB M2 DCT F87 - Current ?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
SeG9n7Rf58pagQt3
Private
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW

I dont get this AWD hype. Freakin LaFerrari with 9xx HP (hybrid with tons of Nm) is RWD, and why exactly M5 can't stay RWD?

You dont like RWD, get fuckin 550xi.
Appreciate 9
      05-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #11
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajaz001
I dont get this AWD hype. Freakin LaFerrari with 9xx HP (hybrid with tons of Nm) is RWD, and why exactly M5 can't stay RWD?

Good point. I debated an M3, but I need awd. So a 335xi it was. Or if you have M5 money you buy an X3 on the side for winter days.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:29 AM   #12
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajaz001 View Post

Because you're thinking like a car enthusiast who only cares about the idea of having a RWD drivetrain without considering what everyone else is doing in this segment and how xDrive would actually be quite beneficial given the type of car the M5 has become. The LaFerrari could have 2000HP with RWD and it would be perfectly fine because you're only driving it under certain conditions vs. the M5 which is meant to be driven all year and under any conditions.

I'm not saying xDrive is the answer for the G30 M5 but people need to start letting go of the idea that RWD still makes sense in a car that has become nothing more than large luxury cruiser that will likely have 600HP+/500TQ+. Go watch any Chris Harris review on the RS6 or E63 AMG, sure these two might lose that little bit of fun being AWD, but they strike the balance of still being fun while arguably being a better all-around car than the M5.

Last edited by TheBingoBalls; 05-03-2016 at 09:35 AM..
Appreciate 5
      05-03-2016, 09:37 AM   #13
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

Genuinely surprised. But I think there still is a chance it could be an option. BMW will lose huge market share if it's RWD only with the current generation of competition.
      05-03-2016, 09:42 AM   #14
BMWSource
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW E90 330Xi

Garage List
All BMW's should stay RWD forever. Enthusiasts want the power of RWD especially in the ///M cars. I don't agree with the new BMW ///M5 having AWD. Enthusiasts like me prefer RWD any day over AWD, & AWD is useless. BMW should not sell AWD ///M cars, any BMW ///M or non ///M should always be RWD no matter what type of vehicle sedan coupe etc. As a BMW Enthusiast myself I'm happy with the good old RWD & a manual. I'm also sad to see the 6 speed manual transmission no longer being offered on the F10 ///M5 & ///M6. Thank goodness the ///M2, ///M3, & ///M4 still have a 6 speed manual. Save the manuals.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #15
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSource View Post
All BMW's should stay RWD forever. Enthusiasts want the power of RWD especially in the ///M cars. I don't agree with the new BMW ///M5 having AWD. Enthusiasts like me prefer RWD any day over AWD
I'm a HUGE enthusiast as are many (most?) of us, and it makes sense to have traction. As long as the M3 stays manual with a rear bias I'm fine.
      05-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #16
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

You pro-AWD guys are missing the fact that there are already a dozen high horsepower AWD sedans and big coupes out there. If that's what you want, buy one of those. Nobody is forcing you to buy a BMW . . . the RS7 and E63 are excellent cars.

BMW and Cadillac are the last holdouts for RWD manual sports sedans. Once they go AWD and ditch manuals, there will be no option left for those of us who still want those kinds of cars. More choice is better.

Should the M2 have gone AWD, DCT only, with a turbo 4cylinder? That's what all the competition is doing . . .
      05-03-2016, 09:49 AM   #17
SeG9n7Rf58pagQt3
Private
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Because you're thinking like a car enthusiast who only cares about the idea of having a RWD drivetrain without considering what everyone else is doing in this segment and how xDrive would actually be quite beneficial given the type of car the M5 has become. The LaFerrari could have 2000HP with RWD and it would be perfectly fine because you're only driving it under certain conditions vs. the M5 which is meant to be driven all year and under any conditions.

I'm not saying xDrive is the answer for the G30 M5 but people need to start letting go of the idea that RWD still makes sense in a car that has become nothing more than large luxury cruiser that will likely have 600HP+/500TQ+. Go watch any Chris Harris review on the RS6 or E63 AMG, sure these two might lose that little bit of fun being AWD, but they strike the balance of still being fun while arguably being a better all-around car than the M5.
I understand, but M5 always was edgy car not one that you drive into fuckin mountain. Also RS6 was always AWD that's audi trademark, E63 doesn't have LSD (as i'm aware) so it's pointless car imho.

BMW was always about RWD, handling and sporty drive, and as top of range it wasn't for everybody and anytime.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #18
AKRAPOVICOWNS
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Like Merc is doing, BMW should offer both RWD and AWD. Big mistake if RWD only IMHO...the current M5 already struggles to put its power down.

I always liked RWD better, but with advancements of the AWD system, nowadays, it can pretty much be RWD most of the time, and only when needed give traction to the front wheels. Win/win in my book.

People talking La Ferrari..nonsense. It's a race car with active aero, probably makes as much down force than a f1. And if you look at reviews, you still have to be careful on power not to spin like a retard. This is a luxury sedan. Heck, even the M3 is having problems putting the power down.
Appreciate 3
      05-03-2016, 09:50 AM   #19
BMWSource
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20
You pro-AWD guys are missing the fact that there are already a dozen high horsepower AWD sedans and big coupes out there. If that's what you want, buy one of those. Nobody is forcing you to buy a BMW . . . the RS7 and E63 are excellent cars.

BMW and Cadillac are the last holdouts for RWD manual sports sedans. Once they go AWD and ditch manuals, there will be no option left for those of us who still want those kinds of cars. More choice is better.

Should the M2 have gone AWD, DCT only, with a turbo 4cylinder? That's what all the competition is doing . . .
When you drive a BMW you gotta go with the I6
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #20
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

And for those of you who are saying BMW will lose sales and market share . . . that's not really a concern for M cars. There will be as many people buying them BECAUSE they are the only RWD option as there will be NOT buying them because they don't have AWD.

M cars sell because they are M cars, and will outsell V series, AMG, and RS cars just on their own merits.
      05-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #21
BMWSource
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWSource
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20

When you drive a BMW you gotta go with the I6
When you drive a BMW, I6, manual gearbox, & of course RWD. Forget AWD because BMWS are The Ultimate Driving Machine forever
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #22
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post

If the M5 was staying RWD WITH a manual, I would choose that any day, just saying an option would be nice like a switchable bias (I know it adds weight... )