BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 Prototype First Drive Reviews Compilation

09-06-2016, 03:50 AM   #1
fndrsn
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Nothing...yet!

G30 Prototype First Drive Reviews Compilation

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Links to full reviews:

Autocar
Autoexpress
Automobile
Car and Driver
Drive
Wards Auto
What Car?

Haven't been able to find a thread on this yet so figured I'd make one, but AutoCar drove a G30 530i, 530d xDrive and 540i. They posted their thoughts on the diesel and seem to love it :thump: Mind these are like those pre-release G02 740i first drives so it's nowhere near final spec but still something nice to look forward to! Here's the link and some interesting tidbits:

Quote:
By any standards, this is first-rate steering, endowing the new BMW with great precision, feel and dependability. There’s an underlying calmness to its operation that impressed us greatly during our first drive.
Quote:
There’s a superb feeling of balance and fluidity about the new BMW, too...It is very fleet in its responses while at the same time delivering an engaging exactness to your inputs in rear-wheel drive guise.
Quote:
Together, [xDrive and 4 wheel steering] provide a compelling combination of instant steering response and great traction, making for a deeply impressive car with true sporting handling characteristics.
Quote:
It’s safe to say this is the best-riding 5 Series yet. The new chassis imbues it with a more cosseting and controlled feel over any given road than its predecessor.
Sounds like BMW is onto a winner with this I'm guessing the mods will update this post with more review links
      09-06-2016, 06:14 AM   #2
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

I'm confident about the steering feeling. If it'll be much better thank what we find today in almos every standard BMW, is a great news. I don't like my current F10 steering feel, I want more precise and havier steering in this next G30.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
usmabmass
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 550i, 23 i4 M50, 24 iX M60

Looks like Autocar might have broken an embargo, cause the article is dead now. Great catch!
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 02:16 PM   #4
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmabmass View Post
Looks like Autocar might have broken an embargo, cause the article is dead now. Great catch!
Yes they did.
      09-06-2016, 04:40 PM   #5
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring

Issue is due on the newsstands tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
Sounds like some typical generic garbage. They try too hard to sound overly sophisticated. I could pay someone on fiverr to write a better review

Least they coulda done was mention how it feels compared to the f10.

I wanna hear all about the weight !
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #7
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Disappointed to read that Car and Driver found steering feedback non existent. :

And then to read that BMW found that customers want more calm and relaxing steering? So I guess we can look forward to future reviews complaining about no steering feedback.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6358.50
      09-06-2016, 06:30 PM   #8
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor@ONEighty View Post
Sounds like some typical generic garbage. They try too hard to sound overly sophisticated. I could pay someone on fiverr to write a better review

Least they coulda done was mention how it feels compared to the f10.

I wanna hear all about the weight !
More than the dog F10 I want to know how it drives vs. the wonderful E60.
Appreciate 2
PJinCA330.50
Needsdecaf6358.50
      09-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #9
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

Car and Driver: do they hate BMW?

Looks like the people at Car and Driver have nothing but hate for the steering: words such as:

- But we found the base steering effort too low, and feedback from the road through the guidance hardware to the driver’s hands is totally absent

- The steering was perfect for effort but numb-feeling and totally lacking in feedback from the road.

Auto Express said the complete opposite:
- The steering is lovely, with real precision to it, but not too much weight.

As well as Autocar:
- The newly developed speed-sensitive system is an advance on that of the outgoing model, delivering greater feel around the straight-ahead, more consistent weighting in the first half a turn of lock and suppressing kickback with greater authority on lumpy surfaces. By any standards, this is first-rate steering, endowing the new BMW with great precision, feel and dependability. There’s an underlying calmness to its operation that impressed us greatly during our first drive.

Maybe Car and Driver are expecting steering feel like the Porsche 911 (different target)? And they barely ever criticise Audi for their steering which is often worse than BMW...

In all their reviews of BMW's there is always an underlying sense of hate for the manufacturer, as if they can't get over the fact that the company is not making cars like 10 years ago...
      09-06-2016, 07:26 PM   #10
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

I REALLY hope BMW USA gives customers the option for a spare tire and conventional tires. That alone would make the car ride and handle better. Less impact harshness and easier for the suspension to do its work having less weight from conventional tires.

BMW Please give us that as an option. PLEASE.
      09-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #11
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Disappointed to read that Car and Driver found steering feedback non existent. :

And then to read that BMW found that customers want more calm and relaxing steering? So I guess we can look forward to future reviews complaining about no steering feedback.
I think the words of Car and Driver are misleading, they say: "He stressed that few, if any, BMW customers around the globe are requesting more tactility in their steering" then said "one of the most frequent words voiced during customer surveys is “isolation.” The buyers find that a desirable trait". This last IMO is a misquote from CandD. I think the engineer meant that customers wanted more OVERALL refinement such as less wind and road noise and the likes, and NOT less steering feel.
      09-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post

I think the words of Car and Driver are misleading, they say: "He stressed that few, if any, BMW customers around the globe are requesting more tactility in their steering" then said "one of the most frequent words voiced during customer surveys is “isolation.” The buyers find that a desirable trait". This last IMO is a misquote from CandD. I think the engineer meant that customers wanted more OVERALL refinement such as less wind and road noise and the likes, and NOT less steering feel.
Mmm, I don't think so. This jibes with what was said in earlier interviewed.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 08:29 PM   #13
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Looks like the people at Car and Driver have nothing but hate for the steering: words such as:

- But we found the base steering effort too low, and feedback from the road through the guidance hardware to the driver’s hands is totally absent

- The steering was perfect for effort but numb-feeling and totally lacking in feedback from the road.

As well as Autocar:
- The newly developed speed-sensitive system is an advance on that of the outgoing model, delivering greater feel around the straight-ahead, more consistent weighting in the first half a turn of lock and suppressing kickback with greater authority on lumpy surfaces. By any standards, this is first-rate steering, endowing the new BMW with great precision, feel and dependability. There’s an underlying calmness to its operation that impressed us greatly during our first drive.

Maybe Car and Driver are expecting steering feel like the Porsche 911 (different target)? And they barely ever criticise Audi for their steering which is often worse than BMW...

In all their reviews of BMW's there is always an underlying sense of hate for the manufacturer, as if they can't get over the fact that the company is not making cars like 10 years ago...
I just finished reading the other first impressions and they seem to contradict each other a bit to flat out having a totally differing opinion especially with regards to Car And Driver. So it will be interesting to see what happens when the G30 5er gets revealed. SCOTT26 , when should we be expecting first-tests of the final (press demos) 5ers? I know the reveal is soon, but how long after should we expect to wait?

As for criticism towards BMW, Car And Driver has actually been quite fair. If you want to look at BMW bashing, look no further than Motor Trend which seem to be on the Cadillac bandwagon at the moment.
Appreciate 1
BDWonder138.00
      09-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #14
G20Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 328i (BMS Stage 1)

With hard work you will surely get there all the best and thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
xlover2191.00
      09-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #15
chong0
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 X5 5.0

seems to me that BMW is putting themselves into an almost impossible place to make everyone happy.

-run flats will be standard: we all know that the ride on these tires are uncompromising and excessively harsh- the masses want run flats, the enthusiasts do not. the masses far outweigh the enthusiasts and any drop in G-series sales will be considered failure. note that the 540 was on non run flats and damper control was good with this combo

-car and drivers review was quite negative and not reassuring to be the "sportiest" entry. e60 to f10 was a huge swing to numbness and "isolation". the review on the g series only makes me more worried.

-is anyone else worried about this "adaptive" mode?
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 09:58 PM   #16
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0
seems to me that BMW is putting themselves into an almost impossible place to make everyone happy.

-run flats will be standard: we all know that the ride on these tires are uncompromising and excessively harsh- the masses want run flats, the enthusiasts do not. the masses far outweigh the enthusiasts and any drop in G-series sales will be considered failure. note that the 540 was on non run flats and damper control was good with this combo

-car and drivers review was quite negative and not reassuring to be the "sportiest" entry. e60 to f10 was a huge swing to numbness and "isolation". the review on the g series only makes me more worried.

I am mortified
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 10:50 PM   #17
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post

As well as Autocar:

Or maybe they just have high standards for BMW.

BMW has been playing to the least common denominator for too long already.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #18
Tuffyboy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M Sport 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0

My F10 550 was terrible on run flats. Just swapping to stock 20" M5 wheels and Michelin Pilots changed the car completely overnight.

Not something you want to do after buying a new car but likely makes this car 10x better as well
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 10:56 PM   #19
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK

I expect the car to drive very well, but why did they bother with the camouflage? We all now how the car will look, particularly the boring interior
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 11:51 PM   #20
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Or maybe they just have high standards for BMW.

BMW has been playing to the least common denominator for too long already.
My point was 2 magazines found the steering great, one found the steering bad. I wonder if there is bias...

Anyway, we'll find out more with drives of the production version.

The good news is that the G30 5 series shreds up to 100kg, which is huge for this size of car and may help it get its driving dynamics back like the E39 used to be...
      09-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #21
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffyboy View Post
My F10 550 was terrible on run flats. Just swapping to stock 20" M5 wheels and Michelin Pilots changed the car completely overnight.

Not something you want to do after buying a new car but likely makes this car 10x better as well
Just swapping the tyres is less expensive

Last edited by Paul-Bracq-BMW; 09-07-2016 at 12:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 12:58 AM   #22
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

Maybe...they can offer a different steering gear as a Performance Optional. In my opinion, I don't care to have a poor steering feel if the majority of customers want it, but, for the enthusiat customers, they should develop something more direct and sporty. For example, in the M140i you can ha a limited slip differential, along with a more stiff and precise sport suspension. Why they didn't offer also a different, more heavy and direct steering gear? In my opinion, if they do it, they'll make all sort of customer happy. Because who want something quiet, they have the base steering, who wants something heavier and sportier, they have the option.
Appreciate 0