BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions G30 Prototype First Drive Reviews Compilation

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-06-2016, 04:50 AM   #1
fndrsn
Private First Class
Netherlands
33
Rep
145
Posts

Drives: Nothing...yet!
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Netherlands

iTrader: (0)

G30 Prototype First Drive Reviews Compilation

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Links to full reviews:

Autocar
Autoexpress
Automobile
Car and Driver
Drive
Wards Auto
What Car?





Haven't been able to find a thread on this yet so figured I'd make one, but AutoCar drove a G30 530i, 530d xDrive and 540i. They posted their thoughts on the diesel and seem to love it :thump: Mind these are like those pre-release G02 740i first drives so it's nowhere near final spec but still something nice to look forward to! Here's the link and some interesting tidbits:

Quote:
By any standards, this is first-rate steering, endowing the new BMW with great precision, feel and dependability. There’s an underlying calmness to its operation that impressed us greatly during our first drive.
Quote:
There’s a superb feeling of balance and fluidity about the new BMW, too...It is very fleet in its responses while at the same time delivering an engaging exactness to your inputs in rear-wheel drive guise.
Quote:
Together, [xDrive and 4 wheel steering] provide a compelling combination of instant steering response and great traction, making for a deeply impressive car with true sporting handling characteristics.
Quote:
It’s safe to say this is the best-riding 5 Series yet. The new chassis imbues it with a more cosseting and controlled feel over any given road than its predecessor.
Sounds like BMW is onto a winner with this I'm guessing the mods will update this post with more review links
__________________
Just your average kid with more love for BMW than money to actually buy one
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2016, 07:14 AM   #2
V-Eight
Private
7
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: F10 530d - F20 M140i
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

I'm confident about the steering feeling. If it'll be much better thank what we find today in almos every standard BMW, is a great news. I don't like my current F10 steering feel, I want more precise and havier steering in this next G30.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
usmabmass
Private First Class
54
Rep
144
Posts

Drives: '08 550i, '16 X1
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Looks like Autocar might have broken an embargo, cause the article is dead now. Great catch!
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
SCOTT26
Brigadier General
SCOTT26's Avatar
1918
Rep
4,893
Posts

Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: WORLDWIDE

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmabmass View Post
Looks like Autocar might have broken an embargo, cause the article is dead now. Great catch!
Yes they did.
__________________
Step 1.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
Bandiano
Second Lieutenant
Bandiano's Avatar
United Kingdom
35
Rep
216
Posts

Drives: F11 530d Msport Touring
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Norfolk uk

iTrader: (0)

Issue is due on the newsstands tomorrow.
__________________
BMW F11 530d Msport touring
Jaguar XKR100 Convertible
Audi Q5
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #6
Igor_M5
Igor_M5's Avatar
United_States
344
Rep
976
Posts

Drives: MCB F10 M5 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Send a message via Skype™ to Igor_M5
Sounds like some typical generic garbage. They try too hard to sound overly sophisticated. I could pay someone on fiverr to write a better review

Least they coulda done was mention how it feels compared to the f10.

I wanna hear all about the weight !
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #7
TheBingoBalls
Colonel
Canada
370
Rep
2,774
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Disappointed to read that Car and Driver found steering feedback non existent. :

And then to read that BMW found that customers want more calm and relaxing steering? So I guess we can look forward to future reviews complaining about no steering feedback.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
solstice
Major General
1059
Rep
5,256
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor@ONEighty View Post
Sounds like some typical generic garbage. They try too hard to sound overly sophisticated. I could pay someone on fiverr to write a better review

Least they coulda done was mention how it feels compared to the f10.

I wanna hear all about the weight !
More than the dog F10 I want to know how it drives vs. the wonderful E60.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #9
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Moderator
Paul-Bracq-BMW's Avatar
Australia
2216
Rep
1,743
Posts

Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Car and Driver: do they hate BMW?

Looks like the people at Car and Driver have nothing but hate for the steering: words such as:

- But we found the base steering effort too low, and feedback from the road through the guidance hardware to the driver’s hands is totally absent

- The steering was perfect for effort but numb-feeling and totally lacking in feedback from the road.

Auto Express said the complete opposite:
- The steering is lovely, with real precision to it, but not too much weight.

As well as Autocar:
- The newly developed speed-sensitive system is an advance on that of the outgoing model, delivering greater feel around the straight-ahead, more consistent weighting in the first half a turn of lock and suppressing kickback with greater authority on lumpy surfaces. By any standards, this is first-rate steering, endowing the new BMW with great precision, feel and dependability. There’s an underlying calmness to its operation that impressed us greatly during our first drive.

Maybe Car and Driver are expecting steering feel like the Porsche 911 (different target)? And they barely ever criticise Audi for their steering which is often worse than BMW...

In all their reviews of BMW's there is always an underlying sense of hate for the manufacturer, as if they can't get over the fact that the company is not making cars like 10 years ago...
__________________
1981 323i, 143 Kashmir-Metallic, 0094 Pergament, Sports M5, LSD.
Appreciate 2
      09-06-2016, 08:26 PM   #10
Alpine535Msport
Second Lieutenant
Alpine535Msport's Avatar
41
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW X5
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orlando, FL

iTrader: (0)

I REALLY hope BMW USA gives customers the option for a spare tire and conventional tires. That alone would make the car ride and handle better. Less impact harshness and easier for the suspension to do its work having less weight from conventional tires.

BMW Please give us that as an option. PLEASE.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 08:33 PM   #11
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Moderator
Paul-Bracq-BMW's Avatar
Australia
2216
Rep
1,743
Posts

Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Disappointed to read that Car and Driver found steering feedback non existent. :

And then to read that BMW found that customers want more calm and relaxing steering? So I guess we can look forward to future reviews complaining about no steering feedback.
I think the words of Car and Driver are misleading, they say: "He stressed that few, if any, BMW customers around the globe are requesting more tactility in their steering" then said "one of the most frequent words voiced during customer surveys is “isolation.” The buyers find that a desirable trait". This last IMO is a misquote from CandD. I think the engineer meant that customers wanted more OVERALL refinement such as less wind and road noise and the likes, and NOT less steering feel.
__________________
1981 323i, 143 Kashmir-Metallic, 0094 Pergament, Sports M5, LSD.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 09:28 PM   #12
Needsdecaf
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
United_States
489
Rep
3,309
Posts

Drives: Porsche Tractor
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Disappointed to read that Car and Driver found steering feedback non existent. :

And then to read that BMW found that customers want more calm and relaxing steering? So I guess we can look forward to future reviews complaining about no steering feedback.
I think the words of Car and Driver are misleading, they say: "He stressed that few, if any, BMW customers around the globe are requesting more tactility in their steering" then said "one of the most frequent words voiced during customer surveys is “isolation.” The buyers find that a desirable trait". This last IMO is a misquote from CandD. I think the engineer meant that customers wanted more OVERALL refinement such as less wind and road noise and the likes, and NOT less steering feel.
Mmm, I don't think so. This jibes with what was said in earlier interviewed.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
TheBingoBalls
Colonel
Canada
370
Rep
2,774
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Looks like the people at Car and Driver have nothing but hate for the steering: words such as:

- But we found the base steering effort too low, and feedback from the road through the guidance hardware to the driver’s hands is totally absent

- The steering was perfect for effort but numb-feeling and totally lacking in feedback from the road.

Auto Express said the complete opposite:
- The steering is lovely, with real precision to it, but not too much weight.

As well as Autocar:
- The newly developed speed-sensitive system is an advance on that of the outgoing model, delivering greater feel around the straight-ahead, more consistent weighting in the first half a turn of lock and suppressing kickback with greater authority on lumpy surfaces. By any standards, this is first-rate steering, endowing the new BMW with great precision, feel and dependability. There’s an underlying calmness to its operation that impressed us greatly during our first drive.

Maybe Car and Driver are expecting steering feel like the Porsche 911 (different target)? And they barely ever criticise Audi for their steering which is often worse than BMW...

In all their reviews of BMW's there is always an underlying sense of hate for the manufacturer, as if they can't get over the fact that the company is not making cars like 10 years ago...
I just finished reading the other first impressions and they seem to contradict each other a bit to flat out having a totally differing opinion especially with regards to Car And Driver. So it will be interesting to see what happens when the G30 5er gets revealed. SCOTT26 , when should we be expecting first-tests of the final (press demos) 5ers? I know the reveal is soon, but how long after should we expect to wait?

As for criticism towards BMW, Car And Driver has actually been quite fair. If you want to look at BMW bashing, look no further than Motor Trend which seem to be on the Cadillac bandwagon at the moment.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 09:39 PM   #14
F30Captain
New Member
United Kingdom
4
Rep
18
Posts

Drives: F30 BMW 328i (BMS Stage 1)
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Newcastle, U.K.

iTrader: (0)

With hard work you will surely get there all the best and thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 10:08 PM   #15
chong0
Second Lieutenant
8
Rep
294
Posts

Drives: '13 M5 Space Gray/Sakhir
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

seems to me that BMW is putting themselves into an almost impossible place to make everyone happy.

-run flats will be standard: we all know that the ride on these tires are uncompromising and excessively harsh- the masses want run flats, the enthusiasts do not. the masses far outweigh the enthusiasts and any drop in G-series sales will be considered failure. note that the 540 was on non run flats and damper control was good with this combo

-car and drivers review was quite negative and not reassuring to be the "sportiest" entry. e60 to f10 was a huge swing to numbness and "isolation". the review on the g series only makes me more worried.

-is anyone else worried about this "adaptive" mode?
__________________

--------
'16 X5 50i M-sport (3rd row!)
'13 M5 6MT Dinantronics ECU, Dinan anti-roll bars
'12 Cayenne 6MT
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 10:58 PM   #16
Crashnbrn5
BMW CCA #455687
Crashnbrn5's Avatar
United_States
339
Rep
1,244
Posts

Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0
seems to me that BMW is putting themselves into an almost impossible place to make everyone happy.

-run flats will be standard: we all know that the ride on these tires are uncompromising and excessively harsh- the masses want run flats, the enthusiasts do not. the masses far outweigh the enthusiasts and any drop in G-series sales will be considered failure. note that the 540 was on non run flats and damper control was good with this combo

-car and drivers review was quite negative and not reassuring to be the "sportiest" entry. e60 to f10 was a huge swing to numbness and "isolation". the review on the g series only makes me more worried.

-is anyone else worried about this "adaptive" mode?
I am mortified
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 11:50 PM   #17
adc
Major General
United_States
431
Rep
5,118
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
Looks like the people at Car and Driver have nothing but hate for the steering: words such as:

- But we found the base steering effort too low, and feedback from the road through the guidance hardware to the driver’s hands is totally absent

- The steering was perfect for effort but numb-feeling and totally lacking in feedback from the road.

Auto Express said the complete opposite:
- The steering is lovely, with real precision to it, but not too much weight.

As well as Autocar:
- The newly developed speed-sensitive system is an advance on that of the outgoing model, delivering greater feel around the straight-ahead, more consistent weighting in the first half a turn of lock and suppressing kickback with greater authority on lumpy surfaces. By any standards, this is first-rate steering, endowing the new BMW with great precision, feel and dependability. There’s an underlying calmness to its operation that impressed us greatly during our first drive.

Maybe Car and Driver are expecting steering feel like the Porsche 911 (different target)? And they barely ever criticise Audi for their steering which is often worse than BMW...

In all their reviews of BMW's there is always an underlying sense of hate for the manufacturer, as if they can't get over the fact that the company is not making cars like 10 years ago...
Or maybe they just have high standards for BMW.

BMW has been playing to the least common denominator for too long already.
__________________

2015 F80 ED
2004 Z4 3.0
2014 X3 35i
Appreciate 1
      09-06-2016, 11:53 PM   #18
Tuffyboy
Private
United_States
0
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2011 M Sport 550i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: So Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0
seems to me that BMW is putting themselves into an almost impossible place to make everyone happy.

-run flats will be standard: we all know that the ride on these tires are uncompromising and excessively harsh- the masses want run flats, the enthusiasts do not. the masses far outweigh the enthusiasts and any drop in G-series sales will be considered failure. note that the 540 was on non run flats and damper control was good with this combo

-car and drivers review was quite negative and not reassuring to be the "sportiest" entry. e60 to f10 was a huge swing to numbness and "isolation". the review on the g series only makes me more worried.

-is anyone else worried about this "adaptive" mode?
My F10 550 was terrible on run flats. Just swapping to stock 20" M5 wheels and Michelin Pilots changed the car completely overnight.

Not something you want to do after buying a new car but likely makes this car 10x better as well
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 11:56 PM   #19
autopal
Private First Class
Canada
87
Rep
178
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Saskatoon SK

iTrader: (0)

I expect the car to drive very well, but why did they bother with the camouflage? We all now how the car will look, particularly the boring interior
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 12:51 AM   #20
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Moderator
Paul-Bracq-BMW's Avatar
Australia
2216
Rep
1,743
Posts

Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Or maybe they just have high standards for BMW.

BMW has been playing to the least common denominator for too long already.
My point was 2 magazines found the steering great, one found the steering bad. I wonder if there is bias...

Anyway, we'll find out more with drives of the production version.

The good news is that the G30 5 series shreds up to 100kg, which is huge for this size of car and may help it get its driving dynamics back like the E39 used to be...
__________________
1981 323i, 143 Kashmir-Metallic, 0094 Pergament, Sports M5, LSD.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 12:52 AM   #21
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Moderator
Paul-Bracq-BMW's Avatar
Australia
2216
Rep
1,743
Posts

Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffyboy View Post
My F10 550 was terrible on run flats. Just swapping to stock 20" M5 wheels and Michelin Pilots changed the car completely overnight.

Not something you want to do after buying a new car but likely makes this car 10x better as well
Just swapping the tyres is less expensive
__________________
1981 323i, 143 Kashmir-Metallic, 0094 Pergament, Sports M5, LSD.

Last edited by Paul-Bracq-BMW; 09-07-2016 at 01:34 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 01:58 AM   #22
V-Eight
Private
7
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: F10 530d - F20 M140i
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

Maybe...they can offer a different steering gear as a Performance Optional. In my opinion, I don't care to have a poor steering feel if the majority of customers want it, but, for the enthusiat customers, they should develop something more direct and sporty. For example, in the M140i you can ha a limited slip differential, along with a more stiff and precise sport suspension. Why they didn't offer also a different, more heavy and direct steering gear? In my opinion, if they do it, they'll make all sort of customer happy. Because who want something quiet, they have the base steering, who wants something heavier and sportier, they have the option.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
5 series, g30, review

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 AM.




5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST