BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum 2017+ BMW 5 Series (G30) General Discussions New BMW Owner - 2018 M550i xdrive Many Pics and Review

05-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #1
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

New BMW Owner - 2018 M550i xdrive Many Pics and Review

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
It was a great day...sunny and warm. Coming out of an E63S - I didn't know what to expect.
I can tell you this car exceeded my expectations.

I loved my E63S - but my initial impressions of this car are superb. Better. The wheels make the car. No question. It's the perfect balance of sport and uber luxury. Top Gears own review says it all - if you haven't read it - please do. I got many looks from this car - it's a good looking car.

Quick off the line. Definitely tuned to not unleash full power - it's about smooth power versus aggression - so much on the table for a tune (not that I'm doing that). Tech is just insane - I have much to go through. Gesture control is cool and actually fairly useful. Huge key fob and the remote control is scary. It will even turn away and drive around an object.

Thank-you to everyone who urged me to go blue - I am very happy with that choice...

A HUGE thank-you to Michael Nicastro my SA from Maranello BMW. I got a great deal of course - but there are other things that go beyond the money - and that ones money can't buy. He has that and was with me throughout - and at literally anytime I needed his assistance and feedback. His gift of an inscribed keychain for an important license plate - memorializing my Father (who got me into cars) - was a beautiful sentiment.

Some additional detail:

It has been specifically tuned - under tuned as I said above more times than not - to give you a smooth curve without too much drama. I can feel the potential of the engine - only a tune away from being unleashed. It is a quick car to 60 -- it was very close to the E63S there - but it is tuned to fall off at higher speeds (again smoothness first). Not a roll race car lol. My guess is a mid to higher 12 seconds on average in the 1/4 mile and lower 12's with a great DA and track prep - so still pretty quick for a large luxury sedan. It truly is what it is marketed to be - an uber luxury car with impressive performance. I really love driving it. On that note - those who say it doesn't drive well - I honestly don't know what you are talking about. Do NOT get a MB if you think steering is terrible on this car. Full disclosure this is my first Bimmer - and the stories are true - it is much more of a drivers car (and I really loved my E63S).

Sound is great. From an almost eerie silence in comfort mode to just the right amount sound in Sport and Sport+ - it is a best of both worlds reward again. The in car sound enhancement actually works for me. Outside the car the exhaust sounds great. The stock HK stereo is very good - more than enough. I look forward to tuning it with some of the suggestions on this forum.

Seats are very comfortable and the massage function is out of this world - puts the 2014 E63S to shame here. Quality of materials is fantastic - the nappa leather is truly supple and smooth - and it is everywhere in the cabin - which is a very nice place to be. I have yet to see the plasticky parts some people have wrote about - this is one of the nicest quality interiors I have ever been in. I have the piano black option - and I think it looks great. Room in the car is great - front and back seats. It is slightly longer than any other 5er at 195.3 inches versus 194.6 for every other G30.

Handling is unknown yet as I just got the car today - initial impressions is it is smooth and corners quite flat depending which mode you are in. It soaks up bumps unbelievably well - and I came from air suspension in the E63S. My guess is there will be some roll in more aggressive driving. The Michelin pilot PS4's are amazing - and non-run flat - which loses trunk space for the spare. The AC IS an issue - do not use auto. I figured out a way around the low air pressure blowing - I'm told it's just the way BMW does it. I don't want to be insensitive about the fully digital dash - so I will just say I really like it.
Attached Images

Last edited by vtknight; 05-02-2017 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 23
ohrich29.00
rza200050.50
Herofmine409.50
SDRX204.00
GOLFFRR10687.00
ABPReader215.00
TopDown89.50
lofrese1264.00
m5 guy1662.00
Niko ZV118.00
emulajavi421.50
madzu4.00
clbmw631.00
Bosozoku692.50
Speed-NYC135.00
      05-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #2
vtknight
Major
Rep

More Pics as they did not fit on the first page...including my gift from my SA Michael Nicastro and some Ceramic Tint pics as the car is being worked on for tint, PPF and cquartz. It's a lease - but I love cars...
Attached Images

Last edited by vtknight; 05-01-2017 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 14
rza200050.50
SDRX204.00
GOLFFRR10687.00
lofrese1264.00
Nachbar8023.00
pemz26.00
Niko ZV118.00
dmboone254970.50
D52M55078.00
      05-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #3
vtknight
Major
Rep

So first thing is that Sport and Sport + are in different worlds. Much more of a difference from the E63S which really had the same power but more aggressive shifts (only).

The car wakes up everywhere on Sport plus - and is much stronger mid to top end. On that note I ran into an E63S Estate. I giggled when I saw the lights behind me and because the lights are the same for all E's, I had to wait - and then saw it was the estate.

He pulled up beside me to pass - and I didn't let him. Now having owned the car (sedan) I know how quick these cars are - all I can say is I did not get passed and he did not make the attempt again (despite me driving beside him).

I will take this car to the 1/4 as I do with all my cars. I ran a 11.8-11.9 on average in the E63S - best of 11.7 at 123 MPH. In the MB you couldn't drop tire pressure past 40 psi without losing racestart (LC). I have said that on Sport the car fees very similar (just much less aggressive shifts (everything in the M550 is super smooth) - and now with my discovery with Sport + - I know it won't be as quick or fast as the E63S - but I will butt dyno and say mid to low 12's in S+ - at 115 MPH - which is a solid ET and MPH - if correct.

We will find out May 13th.

Then I tried Sport plus with traction control off and it's another huge jump. With honesty - it feels 90% the E63S. No joke.
Shifting was quite aggressive lol.

I will be shocked if I don't run a 12.5 or less.

Very similar to the GTR - it is clear this car runs very intensive nannies and when turned off - the affects are pronounced.

What a shock. I was happy where it was with the smooth, bumpless ride it offers in uber luxury comfort mode - but it really is best of both worlds.

One thing is for sure - the new M5 is going to be very impressive performance wise when it is released.
Attached Images

Last edited by vtknight; 05-01-2017 at 10:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
Vervain396.50
      05-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #4
daveschroeder
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F06 650i GC

Garage List
Argh...in another BMWNA market, you have 668M wheels and 6WB full digital instrument cluster...neither available in US!

Oh, and great looking car! :-)
Appreciate 1
CPTM343.50
      05-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #5
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveschroeder View Post
Argh...in another BMWNA market, you have 668M wheels and 6WB full digital instrument cluster...neither available in US!

Oh, and great looking car! :-)
Thanks Dave - I am a pretty frequent poster elsewhere having joined the BMW family - and I will tell you I am confused as to why BMW USA went this path; it really doesn't make much sense as they have fully digital products in the X series.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 12:16 AM   #6
.BMW.
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F11/F31

Congrats on a beautiful M550i!

Med Blue looks great in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 01:23 AM   #7
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .BMW. View Post
Congrats on a beautiful M550i!

Med Blue looks great in the sun.
Thanks! I normally go with silver/gun metal - and I am happy I tried something different.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 01:47 AM   #8
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Nice car, nice review
Congrats on it .Matte gray color bends well with the blue hue
Happy Driving
      05-02-2017, 04:52 AM   #9
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Congrats, and wow, you got the 668M wheels and with the new PS4S, that's awesome.
Those tires looks so much wider than the Pirelli P Zero run flats, even if it's the same size.

Btw, what suspension did you get?

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 1
CPTM343.50
      05-02-2017, 05:00 AM   #10
rza2000
Private
Rep
Drives: Q7

Beautiful! Looks really nice. Also great review from an actual owner. Enjoy. Also nice touch from the SA re keyring.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2017, 05:56 AM   #11
BiGFather
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30 540i xDrive Mperformance

Gz man! I am happy for you. Nice car, nice specs. I wish you many miles/kms without any problems!! :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #12
BimmerGuyFL78
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G30 540i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtknight View Post
It was a great day...sunny and warm. Coming out of an E63S - I didn't know what to expect.
I can tell you this car exceeded my expectations.

I loved my E63S - but my initial impressions of this car are superb. Better. The wheels make the car. No question. It's the perfect balance of sport and uber luxury. Top Gears own review says it all - if you haven't read it - please do. I got many looks from this car - it's a good looking car.

Quick off the line. Definitely tuned to not unleash full power - it's about smooth power versus aggression - so much on the table for a tune (not that I'm doing that). Tech is just insane - I have much to go through. Gesture control is cool and actually fairly useful. Huge key fob and the remote control is scary. It will even turn away and drive around an object.

Thank-you to everyone who urged me to go blue - I am very happy with that choice...

A HUGE thank-you to Michael Nicastro my SA from Maranello BMW. I got a great deal of course - but there are other things that go beyond the money - and that ones money can't buy. He has that and was with me throughout - and at literally anytime I needed his assistance and feedback. His gift of an inscribed keychain for an important license plate - memorializing my Father (who got me into cars) - was a beautiful sentiment.

Some additional detail:

It has been specifically tuned - under tuned as I said above more times than not - to give you a smooth curve without too much drama. I can feel the potential of the engine - only a tune away from being unleashed. It is a quick car to 60 -- it was very close to the E63S there - but it is tuned to fall off at higher speeds (again smoothness first). Not a roll race car lol. My guess is a mid to higher 12 seconds on average in the 1/4 mile and lower 12's with a great DA and track prep - so still pretty quick for a large luxury sedan. It truly is what it is marketed to be - an uber luxury car with impressive performance. I really love driving it. On that note - those who say it doesn't drive well - I honestly don't know what you are talking about. Do NOT get a MB if you think steering is terrible on this car. Full disclosure this is my first Bimmer - and the stories are true - it is much more of a drivers car (and I really loved my E63S).

Sound is great. From an almost eerie silence in comfort mode to just the right amount sound in Sport and Sport+ - it is a best of both worlds reward again. The in car sound enhancement actually works for me. Outside the car the exhaust sounds great. The stock HK stereo is very good - more than enough. I look forward to tuning it with some of the suggestions on this forum.

Seats are very comfortable and the massage function is out of this world - puts the 2014 E63S to shame here. Quality of materials is fantastic - the nappa leather is truly supple and smooth - and it is everywhere in the cabin - which is a very nice place to be. I have yet to see the plasticky parts some people have wrote about - this is one of the nicest quality interiors I have ever been in. I have the piano black option - and I think it looks great. Room in the car is great - front and back seats. It is slightly longer than any other 5er at 195.3 inches versus 194.6 for every other G30.

Handling is unknown yet as I just got the car today - initial impressions is it is smooth and corners quite flat depending which mode you are in. It soaks up bumps unbelievably well - and I came from air suspension in the E63S. My guess is there will be some roll in more aggressive driving. The Michelin pilot PS4's are amazing - and non-run flat - which loses trunk space for the spare. The AC IS an issue - do not use auto. I figured out a way around the low air pressure blowing - I'm told it's just the way BMW does it. I don't want to be insensitive about the fully digital dash - so I will just say I really like it.
Damn handsome car and handsome man. ??
      05-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #13
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
Congrats, and wow, you got the 668M wheels and with the new PS4S, that's awesome.
Those tires looks so much wider than the Pirelli P Zero run flats, even if it's the same size.

Btw, what suspension did you get?
Thank-you! I know there is a delay until July for most - but they really make this car in my opinion. We lucked out this time as I got the 664M 19" wheels it came with and Sottozero 3's for 1000 dollars plus taxes as a winter package.

Canadian suspension is all suspension options - minus the integral steering and roll stabilization - which is an option. I did not get that. I do have active suspension and comfort, eco, eco plus, sport, sport+ and individual.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #14
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rza2000 View Post
Beautiful! Looks really nice. Also great review from an actual owner. Enjoy. Also nice touch from the SA re keyring.
Thank-you!
Appreciate 1
doccyber258.50
      05-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #15
daveschroeder
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F06 650i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Thank-you! I know there is a delay until July for most - but they really make this car in my opinion. We lucked out this time as I got the 664M 19" wheels it came with and Sottozero 3's for 1000 dollars plus taxes as a winter package.
So did you get the Canadian market M550 deal where they basically give you the 668M (or your stock set, depending on how you look at it) for "free"?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:17 AM   #16
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGFather View Post
Gz man! I am happy for you. Nice car, nice specs. I wish you many miles/kms without any problems!! :-)
Thank-you sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine535Msport View Post
Damn handsome car and handsome man. ??
Gulp...thank-you...that said - you were probably talking about my SA lol...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:29 AM   #17
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:

Canadian suspension is all suspension options - minus the integral steering and roll stabilization - which is an option. I did not get that. I do have active suspension and comfort, eco, eco plus, sport, sport+ and individual.
So the car didn't come with the 668M and Michelin PS4S from factory, but sold to you from the dealer?

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:48 AM   #18
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
So the car didn't come with the 668M and Michelin PS4S from factory, but sold to you from the dealer?
No - 668M wheels are standard with the M550ix. BMW Canada, like the US were unable to get the 668M wheels from Europe - so a BMW Canada Vendor made the wheels and sent them via parts - with the 4S non-runflat tires. They added the 4S tires and "gave" the winter package (at a 1/4 of the full price) as an apology for the inconvenience of having to wait for the 668M wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #19
vtknight
Major
Rep

On the above note - I have to give my SA Michael Nicastro from Maranello BMW a shout out..."Above and Beyond" is his middle name.

Literally.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      05-02-2017, 05:03 PM   #20
ohrich
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550i

Quote:

Hi vtknight,

Beautiful car!!

Just wanted to be clear... Did your car come with the 668M wheels?

I'll be getting mine on the 19th.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 05:45 PM   #21
vtknight
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohrich View Post
Hi vtknight,

Beautiful car!!

Just wanted to be clear... Did your car come with the 668M wheels?

I'll be getting mine on the 19th.

Thanks.
You have to have your SA to order them from parts the moment it is invoiced when your car lands...then you will hopefully have them on the car when you pick them up...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #22
sitcom323
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘23 i7 xDrive60

Question on start-up: if you turned the car off in Sport or Sport+, does it start back up in that setting or default to Comfort every time?

GONE: 2022 X7, 2019 750i, 2016 M4 Competition, 2014 550i, 2008 335i, 2005 MINI Cooper S, 2002 X5 3.0, 1999 328i
Appreciate 0